General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

Yeah, I honestly can live without a Minas Tirith. I just want to armybuild Gondorians.

I feel the same way. While I would love a Minas Tirith set to give me a nice base model and a lot of the required pieces cheap, its not totally necessary. If worse comes to worse I can just Bricklink pieces to make my own Minas Tirith (that is what Lego is all about after all). Creating your own Gondor Soldier prints and helm molds, while not impossible, is significantly harder and is almost impossible to make look "official".

If Lego does 5-6 sets for the final LotR wave I think they could easily get all the major scenes out of the way while still devoting 2-3 sets to Minas Tirith. Eowyn vs the Witch King, the Balrog, and 2 Minas Tirith sets leaves room for at least 1-2 more sets. This could be Treebeard or an Oliphant. Treebeard shouldn't be absolutely necessary since the Orthanc Ent does resemble him a bit. Everything else should be covered in a Hobbit wave (Galadriel, Wargs already were, etc.). I would love more Rohan Soldiers or a prologue set but I don't know how likely they are with all the other more important content Lego needs to get to still.

The above sets are the absolute must haves and without them i would be severely disappointed with the LotR Lego offering. Anything else would just be icing on the cake IMO.

We could just stop posting in this thread entirely, since everything has been said and suggested multiple times. :classic: I think a great part of being a member of this community is sharing the excitement for upcoming sets, enthusiasm for wishes and support each other in that regard. I am aware that Alcarin keeps repeating himself, but who are we to deny him voicing his opinion? He is not exactly causing inconveniences for anybody by e.g. having a massive signature or repeatedly posting pictures that cause slow loading times for anybody using handheld devices. There is always the option to ignore his posts if you have read it before, but let's not forget that we might welcome new members over the course of the next year. I suggest we make this forum as welcoming as possible by allowing each member to contribute in her/ his own way, as long as this is respectful.

I found the thread slow for a couple of days that was why I suggested Minas Tirith again. I'm a big fan of anything Middle Earth and although I lurk more then I post this theme is hands down my favorite. TLG is monitoring these and other forums there's no question about that. If they see fans posting what they want in sets I'm sure they'll be more inclined to entertain those ideas if they hadn't considered them in the past.

The sales of Orthanc are going to be a huge indicator for Lego if big LotR sets are worth it. So far my local store has been selling them very well, but I have no idea on a whole how the set is doing. I still haven't picked up a copy only because I'm playing catch up on so many other themes/sets that are getting close to retirement.

To end the Minas Tirith discussion we all want a set like Tiefighters Rivendell http://www.swebrick....hp?topic=5573.0

So might as well start building :-)

I don't think we will ever see a big inclusive Rivendell set for one simple reason. In the movies it is pretty much a matte painting. It wasn't a full scale set like Hobbiton or Dale. It was a 2d image viewed from distance. There is no reference model for it from other angles. I think the best we can hope for is the individual sets and scenes.

I don't think we will ever see a big inclusive Rivendell set for one simple reason. In the movies it is pretty much a matte painting. It wasn't a full scale set like Hobbiton or Dale. It was a 2d image viewed from distance. There is no reference model for it from other angles. I think the best we can hope for is the individual sets and scenes.

Well, the majority of Rivendell was a "miniature" so there is refrence for all of it. here is the msot important piece of it. http://cdn.geeknation.com/Blogs/12_2012/lotr_rivendell1.jpg

But yeah, for me it's much mroe important covering the minifigures as you can't make them yourself (no, just no).

Faramir, Genric gondorian soldier, and armored orc is the mst important missing ones for me, With witch king and Eowyn reght behind.

No prologue set is planned, thats why they made that Elrond exclusive. They wanted to do soemthing we wouldn't see otherwise.

TLG is monitoring these and other forums there's no question about that. If they see fans posting what they want in sets I'm sure they'll be more inclined to entertain those ideas if they hadn't considered them in the past.

Even more reason to not worry about repeating what we like to see! Thanks for the update on Orthanc, also!

Faramir, Genric gondorian soldier, and armored orc is the mst important missing ones for me, With witch king and Eowyn reght behind.

My thoughts exactly, although I'd replace the armoured orc with a Guard of the Citadel. I just love Beregond and was immensely disappointed that he was absent from the movies.

I'd also be very happy to see Ithilien Rangers, but they would rank after the above. Faramir is clearly no 1, though!

No prologue set is planned, thats why they made that Elrond exclusive. They wanted to do soemthing we wouldn't see otherwise.

While you're likely right, Elrond is not at all necessary for a prologue set and his release does not mean there won't be one. Considering the lack of building material around (read: rocks), I wouldn't expect such a set to be very large or have many figures. A $20 set might only have Sauron and Isildur and a $30 one might only add a generic soldier or two. New molds would be needed for the helmets but that's it unless they were feeling really generous with the shields. For me that is one of the most spectacular parts of the entire trilogy and it's definitely something that most casual viewers walk away remembering well. It's just a pity that I don't have a prayer of getting Gil-galad.

I am anxious to see whether LEGO includes Galadriel in this year's Hobbit sets. Whether they do or do not probably seals Lothlorien's fate.

Edited by Str0ngbad

While you're likely right, Elrond is not at all necessary for a prologue set and his release does not mean there won't be one. Considering the lack of building material around (read: rocks), I wouldn't expect such a set to be very large or have many figures. A $20 set might only have Sauron and Isildur and a $30 one might only add a generic soldier or two. New molds would be needed for the helmets but that's it unless they were feeling really generous with the shields. For me that is one of the most spectacular parts of the entire trilogy and it's definitely something that most casual viewers walk away remembering well. It's just a pity that I don't have a prayer of getting Gil-galad.

I am anxious to see whether LEGO includes Galadriel in this year's Hobbit sets. Whether they do or do not probably seals Lothlorien's fate.

They could make the mount doom entrance, it's something else than just rocks. Elrond is however top 3 most important prologue characters.

Assuming only one more wave, which I think is reasonable...

Why?

Edited by Robert_88

Why?

Partly because the Hobbit films are finished after next year and were originally planned to finish this year. Mostly because of the amount of primary material, particularly characters, they have left to cover. This year we got five sets with 11 new characters or versions (prints) of characters. Left to be made are Galadriel, Eowyn, Merry, Pippin, Faramir, Denethor, Gothmog, Witch King, Gondorian soldier, Haradrim, Mumakil, Isildur and Sauron. I'm sure that I left someone out but that list is reasonably exhaustive and even assuming all of these get made it comes to only 13; barely more than this wave which had so few sets. I hope that I'm wrong about this. I would love for them to give this theme two more waves as I think that a lot of what I want to see might not make it into a 3 wave window but would be very likely given 4. I just don't see much reason to expect a fourth wave.

Edited by Str0ngbad

a 4th wave would come after the 3rd hobbit wave but still be in time for the hobbit to come out on Blu-ray/DVD and I am sure there will still be a lot of interest with maybe a complete 30 disk DVD for LOTR and hobbit coming out, the 4th wave could be a big wave like the first one as I don't think it will need to make room for the next hobbit sets as I think there will only be 3. And there are lots and lots of important sets that will still need. At the moment it looks like the waves are getting smaller although we don't really know about the hobbit yet, I think 2 more waves is a must.

We could just stop posting in this thread entirely, since everything has been said and suggested multiple times. :classic: I think a great part of being a member of this community is sharing the excitement for upcoming sets, enthusiasm for wishes and support each other in that regard. I am aware that Alcarin keeps repeating himself, but who are we to deny him voicing his opinion? He is not exactly causing inconveniences for anybody by e.g. having a massive signature or repeatedly posting pictures that cause slow loading times for anybody using handheld devices. There is always the option to ignore his posts if you have read it before, but let's not forget that we might welcome new members over the course of the next year. I suggest we make this forum as welcoming as possible by allowing each member to contribute in her/ his own way, as long as this is respectful.

We need a like button for posts like this

At the moment it looks like the waves are getting smaller although we don't really know about the hobbit yet, I think 2 more waves is a must.

The number of sets was smaller, but that's it. The piece count and price for all the wave 2 LotR sets was actually a little higher than the first wave though (if you include Orthanc). Of course this was solely due to the Tower of Orthanc, but ya.

Without army builder sets I think Lego might really struggle for material for a fourth wave. If wave 3 has 5-6 sets that leaves only a few sets for wave 4, and most would be like the Pirate Ship Ambush.. fairly minor scenes in the film that are only seen a few minutes. Lothlorien, Rivendell, Edoras, the Prancing Pony, etc. While they are important parts of the story, most of these places are seen less than 10 minute on screen and/or have little to no action happening in them. They are secondary locations compared to Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, etc. Plus for some of them, like Rivendell, we already got the Council of Elrond so I doubt Lego is going to revisit that particular location. I mean what are they going to make, the room where Frodo recovers from his wounds, or one with a broken Anduril?

While highly unlikely, I would love wave 4 to just be full of army builders. At least 4 would be great and could cover all the major factions. Gondor Soldiers/Mordor Orcs, Rohan Soldiers/Uruk-hai, Ithilien Rangers/Haradrim, Elves/Easterling. Of course some of these might be a bit redundant and could be replaced by things like Trolls, Wargs, and Moria Orc if need be.

Edited by Deathleech

I think there most likely will be 2014 lotr sets. Think about it lotr this year and the year before has been quite a popular line which along with star wars has really been the backbone of the summer line. This year as Lone Ranger's movie has had some(critic)technical difficulties, they have become the two big flagship lines of 2013 summer. Next year there are marvel movies in early 2014 but only one summer movie so the sets will be sort of April time. Without the support of superheroes in the summer, Lego will only have star wars as a well known flagship summer line! They'll need Lotr to share the load plus there are some good set opportunities and lotr deserves a proper finish. The winter waves will be good in 2013 and 2014 as they will have the hobbit sets of desolation and the next hobbit movie. Their summer line for 2014 will only have star wars to flagship the sets so it is highly logical for another wave of lotr in summer 2014. these would be the only two lines of the summer for licensed themes so it is logical to have more LOTR. We will hopefully find out if there is a preview in the DOS instruction manuals from the 2013 winter wave sets. This was the case last year.

Think about it lotr this year and the year before has been quite a popular line which along with star wars has really been the backbone of the summer line.

What evidence do you have to support this? Or is it just an assumption?

Even more reason to not worry about repeating what we like to see! Thanks for the update on Orthanc, also!

I think that would be more reason to keep suggesting the top sets we want. I know it can be tiresome to read the same requests over and over but as new people join the forum and voice their opinion on certain sets it reinforces that fans want to see said sets happen. There are a number of other things we could do though like starting polls or emailing directly. I'm thinking aloud at this point. No problem on the update.

The number of sets was smaller, but that's it. The piece count and price for all the wave 2 LotR sets was actually a little higher than the first wave though (if you include Orthanc). Of course this was solely due to the Tower of Orthanc, but ya.

Without army builder sets I think Lego might really struggle for material for a fourth wave. If wave 3 has 5-6 sets that leaves only a few sets for wave 4, and most would be like the Pirate Ship Ambush.. fairly minor scenes in the film that are only seen a few minutes. Lothlorien, Rivendell, Edoras, the Prancing Pony, etc. While they are important parts of the story, most of these places are seen less than 10 minute on screen and/or have little to no action happening in them. They are secondary locations compared to Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, etc. Plus for some of them, like Rivendell, we already got the Council of Elrond so I doubt Lego is going to revisit that particular location. I mean what are they going to make, the room where Frodo recovers from his wounds, or one with a broken Anduril?

While highly unlikely, I would love wave 4 to just be full of army builders. At least 4 would be great and could cover all the major factions. Gondor Soldiers/Mordor Orcs, Rohan Soldiers/Uruk-hai, Ithilien Rangers/Haradrim, Elves/Easterling. Of course some of these might be a bit redundant and could be replaced by things like Trolls, Wargs, and Moria Orc if need be.

I don't know, is there really not that many other sets that could be done to keep the theme going? Are you thinking rehashing characters in different settings or completely new characters? As a die hard fan I can think of other locations but some of them may be to insignificant to TLG to justify production. I can't see Orthanc only being made for 1 year (again depends on sales), so would they release another big set so soon? So many questions that only time or a high up LEGO employee can answer.

An entire wave of Army Builders would be amazing. I'm not holding my breath but wow that would get expensive fast!

Unfortunately TLG does not release specific sales data as Infernum suggests we are all assuming at this point.

I don't know, is there really not that many other sets that could be done to keep the theme going? Are you thinking rehashing characters in different settings or completely new characters? As a die hard fan I can think of other locations but some of them may be to insignificant to TLG to justify production. I can't see Orthanc only being made for 1 year (again depends on sales), so would they release another big set so soon? So many questions that only time or a high up LEGO employee can answer.

An entire wave of Army Builders would be amazing. I'm not holding my breath but wow that would get expensive fast!

I am just talking about really big and important "A list sets". I am sure Lego could squeeze out five or six waves, especially if they start making sets based on more obscure scenes or army builders. If they start revisiting locations and re-doing sets the sky is the limit. For unique sets still not even touched we have Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Edoras, Lothlorien, Barad-dur, Mount Doom, Gray Havens, and the Prancing Pony. For large unique creatures (that could be brick built and sets on their own) we have the Fel Beast, Treebeard, Balrog, Oliphant, and Watcher in the Water. That right there is 13 possible sets, or at least 2 more waves.

I am just talking about really big and important "A list sets". I am sure Lego could squeeze out five or six waves, especially if they start making sets based on more obscure scenes or army builders. If they start revisiting locations and re-doing sets the sky is the limit. For unique sets still not even touched we have Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Edoras, Lothlorien, Barad-dur, Mount Doom, Gray Havens, and the Prancing Pony. For large unique creatures (that could be brick built and sets on their own) we have the Fel Beast, Treebeard, Balrog, Oliphant, and Watcher in the Water. That right there is 13 possible sets, or at least 2 more waves.

I'd like to add:

- the tower of Cirith Ungol (could have so many functions of orcs and uruks flying all over the set!)

- Amon Hen (Boromir's last stance)

- Henneth Annun (base of the Ithilien Rangers)

- Dunharrow (with the movies had the Stone of Erech in them, which would make a nice set)

- Minas Morgul (to complete the Two Towers)

- Ferry in Buckland

There we go. Wave number 5. :laugh:

Can we have a more quantitative method of discussion by having everyone vote the top 3 sets they wish to see in future waves. This way it may 'help' provide information to TLG as on which sets to make.

Still, I'm interested to find out

Ok, here's my top 3 most wanted:

1. Osgiliath army builder set with Faramir, Gondor Ranger, Gondor Soldier and three orcs

2. Witch-King battle with molded fell beast, Witch-King of Angmar, Merry & Eowyn in Rohan armour

3. Minas Tirith (preferable an abstract model that depicts the city as castle - similar to Nuju Metru's Cuusoo project)

Personally I have talked to Argos and they said that they were flying off the shelves. The set I wanted (wizard battle) was not in stock due to the high demand for lotr sets in my local Argos and the guy happened to mention that they were quite the money-spinner. Apart from that yes I suppose due to the general amount of people I have seen and know who own/collect or want LOTR sets is quite a large number. Even my college tutor was giddy over seeing them. I guess no statistics or evidence like that but a lot of personal experience and what I've read online.

Still, I'm interested to find out

The three I want the most are:

1. Edoras: Rohan is my favorite faction of Men, and this is the last major Rohan location that could be made, since we already have Helm's Deep. Also, it would also hopefully give us at least one new variation of Rohan soldier.

2. Éowyn vs. The Witch King: Same reason as above: I really like the Rohirrim. Her Dernhelm helmet would also help to add some nice variation to Rohan soldiers.

3. Grey Havens (or Into the West, as I like to call it) or Amon Hen: The Grey Havens I think would be the perfect send off to the line, but Amon Hen is my third favorite battle scene, after Helm's Deep and Mines of Moria, which already have sets.

My total list is longer but here is my top three.

1) Eowyn v Witchking. I hope that includes the printing on the horse similar to the LotR game. Eowyn needs a new helmet mold. I don't have a preference on whether the fell beast will be 100% brick built or molded. But if the game is to be believed, it will be molded.

2) Edoras. We need a two heads for Theodon. One white one where he is under Saraman's influence. The other would be his regular head. I don't believe this could be on one head.

3) Bridge of Khazad Dum with the Balrog and Gandolf.

Here are my top 3 choices:

1. Minas Tirith

2. Witch King w/ Fell Beast

3. Osgiliath (similar to what Lynx describes above)