General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

So you want the trebuchets to be as big as half of the city ?

lols thats the biggest let down of this project and that is exactly why it does not get my vote also.

Not to even start about how the tower looks :P

Its about ratio of its own build... It looks ''proper'' size compared to other LEGO sets... the size of the tower compared to the size of structure is correct or atleast semi correct and passable.

And its higher than Orthanc which is a must ;)

It's Lego. They make playsets. Not scale models. If or when we get it it will be a selectively compressed playset designed to comunicate the idea of all or part of the scene, and not the shear scale and majesty of it. Just as we have seen with every other LotR release. And honestly, no most LotR fans will not be deeply turned off by this nor will they be in any way upset. They just want a nice set that tells the story. Preferably in a form and size that they can build, play with, and actually fit inside the house.

Part of me fears that we won't see a Lorien set. If they make Galadriel in the new Hobbit wave, I don't really see a reason for them to make Lorien other than its a nice location. It wouldn't offer any new big name figs, and would take up space in the next LOTR wave for a possible Gondor set.

Also, I think that we should no longer be allowed to discuss Minas Tirith. It's sparked negative discussion twice now, and I know it's kinda impossible to dictate what can and can't be talked about in this thread, but I think Minas Tirith is something that could be at least left on the back burner until Xmas time, when we'll likely have some sort of news for LOTR 2014.

I think part of the problem with a Lothlorian set is it's a gorgeous but very static location in the films. It's a place of talking and not really action or conflict. So it has somewhat limited play potential. (Where oh where would they put the flick fires?!?!?!?!) Granted we did get the Council of Elrond set which has similar issues, so you never know?

I think part of the problem with a Lothlorian set is it's a gorgeous but very static location in the films. It's a place of talking and not really action or conflict. So it has somewhat limited play potential. (Where oh where would they put the flick fires?!?!?!?!) Granted we did get the Council of Elrond set which has similar issues, so you never know?

WIth lego I'm sure they could have Galadirel barage Frodo with flick fire missiles when she wants the ring x] Bag end is another somewhat static set, (although based on a super iconic location).

They could base the Lorien set on the deleted scene where Moria orcs chase the Fellowship to the Golden Wood. That way, the set has some conflict.

I'd love a "Battle of the Pelennor Fields" set. With mumakils, Grond and a section of Mnas Tirith.

All we have right now of the mighty Mordor army besieging Mnas Tirith are.... 2 orcs and a catapult. :wink:

These 2 orcs must be pretty special. They get to take on Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and the entire army of the dead on their own!

Edited by SheepEater

I'd love a "Battle of the Pelennor Fields" set. With mumakils, Grond and a section of Mnas Tirith.

All we have right now of the mighty Mordor army sieging Mnas Tirith are.... 2 orcs and a catapult. :wink:

These 2 orcs must be pretty special. They get to take on Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and the entire army of the dead on their own!

The entire Army of the Dead being the King and two soldiers.

They could base the Lorien set on the deleted scene where Moria orcs chase the Fellowship to the Golden Wood. That way, the set has some conflict.

Indeed, I'm sure people would be happy for more Moria orcs aswell!

Indeed, I'm sure people would be happy for more Moria orcs aswell!

Especially if it saw the creation if the much wanted Moria Orc helmet. I would gladly take a larger Lorien set if it meant Moria orcs and some Helm's Deep elves.

Especially if it saw the creation if the much wanted Moria Orc helmet. I would gladly take a larger Lorien set if it meant Moria orcs and some Helm's Deep elves.

The helms deep elves wouldn't/shouldn't be in a Lorien set. The elves that takes out the orcs are all in those grey cloaks/tunics.

LothlorienOrcs2-cb178600.jpg
Edited by deskp

The helms deep elves wouldn't/shouldn't be in a Lorien set. The elves that takes out the orcs are all in those grey cloaks/tunics.

LothlorienOrcs2-cb178600.jpg

While you're right, I don't see any other possible chances to get generic Helm's Deep elves, and if I had a choice between armored elves or scouts, I'd take the armored ones any day.

LEGO tends to manipulate the rules when it comes to fig placement in sets. It's a bit irksome when it comes to main characters, but I'm fine with generic soldiers popping up wherever there's a chance. Just as long as we get them.

Edited by Fives

They wore the exact same armor as Haldir iirc so it would really just be repackaging the same torso in a more affordable set and sticking a different face on it. I'm all for a Lorien set and I'm convinced we'll get one.

They wore the exact same armor as Haldir iirc so it would really just be repackaging the same torso in a more affordable set and sticking a different face on it. I'm all for a Lorien set and I'm convinced we'll get one.

I'm hoping to get the headpiece from the game, the helmet/hair combo.

I'm hoping to get the headpiece from the game, the helmet/hair combo.

It would be a very cool piece to get, obviously they wouldnt use the one in the geame diretly though. But i think theres lots of other new molds I wouldnt want before this one.

The new Endor village reminds me to Lothlorien. :)

I could imagination that LEGO will try to create a Lothlorien set in the same scale.

I like those special modular city houses and another exclusive sets for the older ones.

I could also imagination that LEGO will sell a beautiful Rivendell in that style. :)

The new Endor village reminds me to Lothlorien. :)

I could imagination that LEGO will try to create a Lothlorien set in the same scale.

Why would they make 2 sets that similar? And i doubt lotr will get another set that big any time soon.

I actually think its likely LOTR gets another set that large next year. Lothlorien or Rivendell would make good UCS sized sets if LOTR LEGO were 10+ years old. Given what is likely a three year lifespan, a huge Lothlorien is a pipe dream albeit a very lovely one. ;)

I think we might get a Dale set next year, it's something to make a set of as part of BO5A

I think we might get a Dale set next year, it's something to make a set of as part of BO5A

From what I've seen in the production videos, a huge Dale set would be very cool to have.

How about the smallest set this winter be the white council, with Galadirel and Purple Elrond minifigures. Since we already got Sarruman and Gandalf in a small set.

How about the smallest set this winter be the white council, with Galadirel and Purple Elrond minifigures. Since we already got Sarruman and Gandalf in a small set.

That is a brilliant idea. Two new figs, an elven statue, and the table they talk at. Perhaps the Morgul blade as well.

I think perhaps lego can make a Dale set next year, in the set style of a typical lego castle. Tan walls, 'snowed up' red roofs, a dash of brown and green details, sprinkled with the finest selection of battle ready minifigures.

It would be part of the city, while at the same time representing the whole city due to it being an "enclosed" set.

http://www.frugalliv...lego-castle.jpg

http://www.thedailyb...ings-castle.png

http://www.brickshow...alamut-7573.jpg

Next years sets will be exciting, Because it sounds like the majority of the movie is Battle of the 5 armies, and perhaps Dol guldur attack(if thats in 3rd movie) the rest being politics and endings. It should give lego the oppertunity of making multiple sets based on each battle, Wich means we'd get a good range of soldiers, atleast 1 "standard soldier" for each army. (armored: elf, orc, dwarf and laketown man)

Edited by deskp

I think perhaps lego can make a Dale set next year, in the set style of a typical lego castle. Tan walls, 'snowed up' red roofs, a dash of brown and green details, sprinkled with the finest selection of battle ready minifigures.

It would be part of the city, while at the same time representing the whole city due to it being an "enclosed" set.

http://www.frugalliv...lego-castle.jpg

http://www.thedailyb...ings-castle.png

http://www.brickshow...alamut-7573.jpg

Next years sets will be exciting, Because it sounds like the majority of the movie is Battle of the 5 armies, and perhaps Dol guldur attack(if thats in 3rd movie) the rest being politics and endings. It should give lego the oppertunity of making multiple sets based on each battle, Wich means we'd get a good range of soldiers, atleast 1 "standard soldier" for each army. (armored: elf, orc, dwarf and laketown man)

I could see LEGO doing something similar to Uruk-Hai Army, but for the Hobbit. Three orcs and a Warg, an elf, a man and a dwarf soldier, a section of Erebor that can be attached on either side ( because the battle does take place in between those two ams of stone that come out on either side of the gate ). Roughly $25-30, that would make an amazing army builder.

That way, the main BO5A set could focus on the main characters during the battle, like Beorn, Thorin, Bolg, Fili, Kili, Azog, an Eagle or two, plus a couple more orcs to even the odds.

I was going to post this in the 2013 thread but I figure I'll be a good member and keep my speculation separate.

If we look at the 2012 vs 2013 LotR line up prices they are $368 vs $403, this is in US pricing including only sets. When looking at the 2012 Hobbit line up the total is $300, and for 2013 we have only the confirmation of Lake Town Chase which accounts for $50 so still roughly another $250 give or take could be used for others sets. If we have 5 or 6 sets I would assume they are going to follow a very similar price structure as the 2012 line up. Radagast on his bunny sleigh would be a good set for Riddles for the Ring, and Beorn's house could replace An Unexpected Gathering plus we know Lake Town Chase is replacing Attack of the Wargs. That would leave us with replacing The Goblin King Battle $99.99, Escape from Mirkwood Spiders $29.99, and Barrel Escape $39.99. I can easily see Dol Guldur as the replacement for Goblin King Battle and maybe Thranduil's Halls for Barrel Escape which would leave one more set. The only problem with my thought process is not including Smaug which when the name of the movie is DOS I would expect a big Smaug set. How about Smaug as the replacement for Goblin King, Dol Guldur as the replacement for Barrel Escape and Thranduil's Halls (or throne at this point) as the replacement for Mirk Wood Spiders. The cost of Dol Guldur could be bumped up a tad to give the ruined castle a little more punch and this would seem like a good line up. This speculation is freaking killing me!

I still think you all are being way to hopeful on things like Thranduil's halls. I can't help but suspect that it will probably fall into that same vague area as Edoras. We already have a scene pretty much depicting when they enter Thranduil's control, and when they escape it. So that's the two main action and conflict points. Everything in between is architecture and dialog.

Assuming 5 new boxed sets my speculation goes something like this;

1. Cheap set $12'ish. Gandalf and Rhadagast at Dol Gulder. Gandalf, Rhadagast, some scenery and the bunny sled. Maybe a skeleton or similar.

2. $20 - $30 set. Something simple and generic. Call it "Orc Chase". 3 orcs, 2 Dwarves a Worg. Some random bit of scenery, probably trees.

3. Lake Town set. $50. Mid priced, as revealed.

4. $79 set near top. Beorn's House. Something looking for that Bag End lightning again. Nice enclosed house. Bilbo, Big'ish fig Beorn (ala Hagrid) 2 Dwarves and 2 orcs. This might be where we see Azog used. If we follow the book at all isn't there some animosity between Beorn and the Orc leader at the BO5A?

5. Halls of Erebor, $99 - $139. The Smaug set if any exists. Large brick built dragon.(sorry big fig fans, but Smaug is probably just too big. Probably a big fig type printed head attached to a large Ninjago like build. ) the treasure room (or 2 wall pieces of it.) the throne. Secret passage in, etc. Bilbo, several Dwarves, a bird, a few ex Dwarf skellies ala Moria, etc.

Just my 2c of a wild assed guess.

5. Halls of Erebor, $99 - $139. The Smaug set if any exists. Large brick built dragon.(sorry big fig fans, but Smaug is probably just too big. Probably a big fig type printed head attached to a large Ninjago like build. ) the treasure room (or 2 wall pieces of it.) the throne. Secret passage in, etc. Bilbo, several Dwarves, a bird, a few ex Dwarf skellies ala Moria, etc.

I don't think a brick buildt dragon set, needs all that random scenery.