Sign in to follow this  
Jareth

Review: 1786: Jailbreak Joe

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Number: 1786

Name: Jailbreak Joe (I'd love to know what this was called in other countries)

Theme: Town

Subtheme: Police

Year: 1995

Minifigs: 4

Pieces: 180

Price: ?

Parts

1786-01.jpg

Even though this set has two themes in it they stuck to three major colors (White, black and red) which I appreciate. Note that I couldn't collect all the parts, so I can't build all the vehicles at the same time, and the paddywagon suffered the most from color changes and a significant missing part.

People

1786-11.jpg

As you can see, Joe is Missing! (Well he is "Jailbreak" joe) Here he is...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=jail002

So four figures and this might seem weird, but I'd like to see more variety. The two police men are identical, and the cheif and joe share a hair pattern. Even throwing a standard grin head for one of the policemen would have helped.

Build

1786-02.jpg

Nice to see a helicopter that doiesn't use a <insert that tiresome argument> part for the base.

1786-03.jpg

Nice use of a hinge brick.

1786-04.jpg

A little slender, but there are four vehicles in this set, and this thing is made of a lot of good reusable pieces, so I'm willing to be forgivable.

1786-05.jpg

Here's Joe's car. The blue pieces as shock absorbers are interesting, and they were only in for sets before this one, and in two other sets the same year. Note that the trans blue one is my color substitute, and that the two axles are on different levels to make the vehicle tilted.

1786-06.jpg

Joe's completed truck.

1786-07.jpg

The paddywagon.

1786-08.jpg

This sticker goes over three 1x4 bricks. I was very happy to see it intact, unfortunatelly the panels for the other stickers were missing.

1786-09.jpg

The paddywagon. Please note that the roof is supposed to be white and the lights are suppsoed to be trans red and trans blue.

MVP (most valuable piece)

1786-13.jpg

Light Gray Bar 1 x 4 x 3 Window! I love a good bar piece, and one without studs or sockets I love even more as they are often a better looking decorative piece than one with studs. I can see this piece being usefull for a lot of different themes.

Conclusion

Parts: 10/10 A great mix of standard pieces and great decorative pieces. Sticks to three main colors while finding room for some usefull trans pieces.

Minifigs: 8/10

Build: 9/10

Playability: 10/10...if I could do an 11 I would.

Price: ?

Total: 92%

As a bonus, here's what I think happend with the pieces that I couldn't substitute or replace at all.

1786-14.jpg

This is a very cool set unfortunately it's missing from my collection :cry_sad: but i plan to remedy that soon