DjiM

Tracks: DIY rail crossing with PF tracks

Well, I've been lurking on these forums for a while. Time for me to contribute.

Since a few weeks, my daughter and me have had a (modest) train layout with a cargo train, a passenger train, three sets of switching tracks and a decent amount of track.

Having been an avid lego builder in my younger years, I really love sharing this with her.

Anyway, because we were both eager to add some excitement to the setup, I decided to sacrifice two straight pieces of PF track and make a track crossing (whoa, accidents!).

How I did it:

The first of the two straights was cut in three pieces by cutting out a track section one stud wide on the 6th position, on both sides.

Next, the center piece of this chopped up straight was disposed of its side studs.

The second straight was also butchered by removing its central 2x2 and both of its central 2x1 side studs. Four more studs were removed on its sides as can be seen on the image.

In addition to that, four grooves were carved out of this second straight.

Tools used: a sharp knife, a miniature circular saw blade (on a Dremel clone) and a miniature grinder on the same Dremel. No glue whatsoever.

It took a while to do this (+- 1 hour).

To help making the cuts on the right place, I sacrificed two of my old lego 8x1 flats: it is quite convenient to click one of these on the piece of track right where it needs to be cut. The sawblade can then glide along them.

(Honestly, the sacrificed pieces already suffered a dog attack in the early nineties. So it's not really a big loss :wink: )

The result:

post-37631-0-15604000-1358976822_thumb.jpg

Everything fitted together:

post-37631-0-93771800-1358976823_thumb.jpg

And by means of some 2x2 plates (I should probably get some bluish grey ones :wacko: ), all the parts are connected:

post-37631-0-72441500-1358976824_thumb.jpg

The result was added it to our layout and I must say that this piece makes the track a whole lot more interesting when trying to drive two PF trains around.

With all the crashes we have had so far, I must say it's a good thing we still have my old faithful eighties firefighter helicopter around.

Note: I did not consider buying a 4519 since I can't really justify its ~25€ price tag (used) for my PF setup.

And of course it was just a nice silly project I enjoyed doing :grin:.

That is a good idea. I'd like to see that but for a crossing that is not quite 90 degrees, say more like 45 or even 30 to make the turns shallower.

Just out of interest though whilst on the subject, how many of these crossings at 90 degrees actually exist in the real world railways? Does anyone know of any and where they are as I don't recall seeing one myself?

I think they are fairly common in the US. There are a few in the UK, the most famous one being at Newark, where the ECML crosses the line to Lincoln:

newarkcrossing-r.jpg

Another interesting one in the UK has recently been installed within the last few years, where the narrow gauge Welsh Highland Railway crosses Network Rail metals in Portmadog:

arup-camb-021106-2.jpg

Great project by the way, I have actually been considering doing similar myself!

lego made a 90 degree crossing for the 9V track system so i expect if you could find some on ebay or elsewhere they should fit to the current PF track? they would just have metal rail tops.

That is a good idea. I'd like to see that but for a crossing that is not quite 90 degrees, say more like 45 or even 30 to make the turns shallower.

You're right that that would be very cool but I think it would also be exceptionally hard to realize this. And probably impossible without glue.

Also, if you assume that you won't change the track's 8 x 16 size, the smallest angle you'll be able to achieve over one length of track is ~53 degrees.

post-37631-0-46480400-1358983848_thumb.png

lego made a 90 degree crossing for the 9V track system so i expect if you could find some on ebay or elsewhere they should fit to the current PF track? they would just have metal rail tops.

True, as far as I know (I never tried to be honest), these can be used together with PF track. I wouldn't even mind the metal tops.

But as I said in my post, they are (much) more expensive (~25€) than two chopped up PF straights (between 2€ and 3€ for both?).

This is a famous one in the Netherlands. I think there are now plans to remove or replace it.

blauwkapel.jpg

This is a famous one in the Netherlands. I think there are now plans to remove or replace it.

<snip>

The picture isn't working, I think the server won't allow it.

Edited by UrbanErwin

@Duq:

FvdJ19800209_Blauwkapel.JPG

Tonight on my way to and back from a meeting in Utrecht I will pass that point.

It nowadays also had a flyover b.t.w. the Dutch railnet is too busy for such a crossings these days.

Here another interesting one:

HS20080815_1566.JPG

Mr. Spilt (the source) says: this one is used near Haarlem (close to Schiphol) for freight trains not having to pass Haarlem Central Station. The caternary seems to be automatically raisable / retractable.

Really nice work on that, it looks 100% original, and in a layout you would never know. i have only 9V track and have bid on loads but never won one as I just can't justify the cost

Just out of interest though whilst on the subject, how many of these crossings at 90 degrees actually exist in the real world railways? Does anyone know of any and where they are as I don't recall seeing one myself?

There are quite a lot of them in the US, take it from someone who has been to all forty-eight continental states and any railway museum or train station I could find along the way. Sometimes there's a station at the crossing which is really cool. My photos are in another country presently but if I can remember the names of some of them I'll try to post them.

Oh, and thanks for the crossing trick, looks useful!

Joe

It seems crazy that Lego still hasn't released one... Well for my case it does not change anything, as I still use 12V I can only rely on 2nd-hand anyway for extra tracks.

It is probably much more common for trams. There are at least several in Brussels, Belgium.

e.g. https://maps.google....,92.12,,0,29.97

Edited by antp

Wow that is a lot of crossings, I have never seen one myself, or at least never noticed it. I must keep a look out when on the train.

Looking at this conversion I wondered if anyone tried to do it 'cheaper' with flex track?

My idea was to place a flextrack inside an unmodified straight and let tracks connect to

this section from both sides at an elevation of 1 plate.

The middle section and connecting tracks must be cut to remove the PF connecting parts.

This would make the crossing track raised by one plate which could be a problem,

I can see that the 'plow' used for engines cannot pass and have to be replaced with normal buffers,

but normal train wheels should work unless you have placed some extra plate underneath.

Any thoughts on this?

You're right - it would only work with the plain train wheels.

Motors or wheels with technic axle will get stuck on anything sticking above the track...

I will plan for doing the mod at the top of this thread instead.

In my version of a DIY rail crossing, I've used flex track. The first one i made was a bit of a mess, but these two are usable. I glued the track with acetone. That works perfect for Lego. IMAG0474_Formaat%20wijzigen.jpgIMAG0477_Formaat%20wijzigen.jpg and one with a diferent angle. this one was much more complicated te make. IMAG0472_Formaat%20wijzigen.jpg

I really like the bottom one, digibeet. And it's a very good way to make the flextrack useful.