TrumpetKing

LEGO Collectible Minifigures Golden Minifigure Discussion

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the use of Golden Minifigures is true for Series 10 and 11?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but just for Series 10
  2. 2. If the rumor is true, do you plan on finding one or more of this Golden Minifigure?

• Yes, of course!
    • Nah, I'll stick with non-Golden Figures.
    • Probably, depending on how it looks
  3. 3. Will you plan on buying the complete set of figures (including the Golden Figure), No Golden Figure but complete Series (or just ones wanted) or The Golden figure plus some spares?

• Complete set AND Golden Figure! More LEGO!!!
    • I'll stick with a few spares and the Golden Figure.
    • I'll buy the full series/ones I want, but no Golden Figure.

Hey guys I got an exclusive preview of a golden minifig'

gold%2Bninja.jpg

:laugh:

Anyway, I imagine LEGO will just get random minifigures from the series, and then colour them gold.

Unlike others here, I would prefer a blank golden minifig to one with printing and accessories - there's a sort of symbolic quality to the idea. Even then, though, I doubt I'd keep it if I were lucky enough to find one.

5000 is not a lot at all, the description says a unique/special minifig in addition to the 16, so it might be possible you could find one by feeling the bag and identifying the unique elements. Like a blank minifig. I am guessing it will be chrome gold since the quantity is low.

In the end though I wouldn't care if I never found one, as searching for the normal 16 is good enough for me.

5000 worldwide?? Grasp frantic for fresh air...

I was like hoping to see one 'special' in each minty fresh box, but the craze of 5000 of it 'worldwide' has definitely put this CMF buying into a whole new playing level. Geez, just imagine the odds... 5000 worldwide... on average of 196 countries (not all countries sell LEGO CMFs, I am taking it as a form of blanket) in the world, there is only a 25 of it in some random cargo shipping containers to each port, awaiting to be discovered!

Great... as if the people who collect these aren't crazed enough to get the rare figures, which are guaranteed a set number per box, they go and throw this into the mix.

As I am not a completist, I could care less about the gold minifigure. I don't see any value in it for my MOCs. Of corse I'll still be happy if I somehow come across one because I can sell it.

Unlike others here, I would prefer a blank golden minifig to one with printing and accessories - there's a sort of symbolic quality to the idea.

Same here... I can't imagine how useless and specialized a golden, I dunno, Hippie, or Butcher minifig would be, except for use as a statue. Something like a golden Legionnaire could be cool, but would be similarly narrow in usefulness. The only Collectable Minifig I can think of that I might care about in gold would be the Mermaid, because then I could make the harbor in Copenhagen :tongue: (even then, chrome gold is not exactly the best best color match).

I certainly agree with some of the people on Brickset (I think) who were saying it'd be likely that the people working at Toys 'R' Us (or wherever) would simply snatch up the golden figs before they even hit the shelves.

Hey guys I got an exclusive preview of a golden minifig'

gold%2Bninja.jpg

:laugh:

Anyway, I imagine LEGO will just get random minifigures from the series, and then colour them gold.

If its this gold I'm going to care less, chrome gold like c3po is what I am expecting these figures to be

With there being only 5000 of these worldwide, I have already given up any hope of getting this. Even so, I hope this is only a Series 10 thing as a lot of people will buy as much as possible to try and get the Golden Minifigure, meaning that they will almost certainly sell out much quicker than usual.

I highly doubt LEGO would be so crazy as to only produce 5000. That would immediately turn off thousands of fans, some permanently.

I highly doubt LEGO would be so crazy as to only produce 5000. That would immediately turn off thousands of fans, some permanently.

I would hope you are right about that, but unfortunately several sources have suggested only 5000 in the world. At least I would have a slight chance if LEGO placed 1 Golden Minifigure per box like the original source claimed.

Why do you think? People won't buy lego any more if they don't find any golden minifig? Won't they love lego any more? I don't think so. And a golden minifig is not as essential as it would worth quitting your hobby.

Strangest thing I've seen said in this already pretty loopy thread.

These are not part of the series proper. They are a BONUS. They are special figs to be highly prized IF you are lucky enough to receive one. Not only is a golden minifig not essential, it is the epitome of unessential. CMFs on their own are luxury items - a super-rare golden version is a luxury of a luxury. There's nothing crazy, unusual or weird about any of this and I am bemused why so many people are making such a fuss over this.

I just read a comment that made me laugh.

If you find the golden minifig, you get a tour to the LEGO factory? :laugh:

I personally dont care much about a golden fig, I only get those figs that relates to historical themes on the series and perhaps one or two of the others themes, but never have completed a set. So just if this gold minifig is an historical fig will get, else will pass.

I fear it would be a bit too easy to retailer employees to intercept most of the 5000 figs before people even get at the store. Possibly weighting will work wonders.

I fear it would be a bit too easy to retailer employees to intercept most of the 5000 figs before people even get at the store. Possibly weighting will work wonders.

That's only assuming it's real gold - far more likely it'll be chromed or pearl plastic.

Well, as far as I know, the only collectibles that were so rare that they had less than 10 000 produced were actual metal (some silver or gold). Most of these were BIONICLE collectibles like krana, but that doesn´t mean it doesn´t apply here, plus it explains the rarity.

Well, as far as I know, the only collectibles that were so rare that they had less than 10 000 produced were actual metal (some silver or gold). Most of these were BIONICLE collectibles like krana, but that doesn´t mean it doesn´t apply here, plus it explains the rarity.

Keep in mind that in BIONICLE and Star Wars, actual metal collectible items were always a VERY small fraction of the set's weight/volume. Here, they would be nearly the entire weight/volume of the sets' contents. So warm gold (pearl gold) or metallized gold (chrome gold) would be far more effective in that sense.

What I want to know is how counterfeiting will be prevented. Chroming a minifigure has already been done by customizers, and Brassoing a Golden Ninja from Ninjago or Golden King from Atlantis is easy. Thus the only real solutions are a) decorating the fig instead of using a generic one or b) using real metal. Let's not forget the DOZENS of "Green Ninja" figs that popped up on eBay last year, most of which were either complete customs or the (granted, still fairly desirable) classic Green Ninja figs from the turn of the millennium. I've even seen custom "Golden Ninjas" on eBay, made by replicating the design from this year's official set images on a gold or spray-painted minifigure. With a Golden Minifigure, if they're desirable enough, we'll see all that and more.

I haven't voted because frankly the last question in the poll has no option for "I'll get just the figs I want, whether or not I get a golden minifigure", and the second question has no option for complete indifference. I suppose I could vote in the second one that I don't PLAN on getting a Golden Minifigure because, let's face it, I don't. If I do get one, lucky me! But if I don't, it's not like it's any worse than missing out on any other CMF. I can't say I'd have much use for a Golden Minifigure anyway; it wouldn't offer too much besides bragging rights and maybe a few nice gold pieces. Regarding the first question, I imagine the Golden Minifigure would just be true for Series 10, but I could be wrong. That just seems like it'd make the most sense.

I'd LOL if somebody got a gold figure and if it was missing a piece, and then they order a replacement and get a common figure :classic:

(I'm only joking). I do hope though that the gold figure is generic and not a Luxury/ upgraded figure of one of series 10 :-(

Edited by Kez

I hope they make the gold figure a re-color of the existing 16 figures in the series, which means it will be impossible to feel for it. That means sellers will buy up stock of all figures like crazy to find them. And when they have so much inventory, hopefully that will mean lower prices. Brahahaha.

As I am not a completist, I could care less about the gold minifigure. I don't see any value in it for my MOCs. Of corse I'll still be happy if I somehow come across one because I can sell it.

I am kind of a completist... but I'm going to "pretend" like they didn't do this. I do not consider it one of the series 10 figures, and if I get all 16 (and I am currently resorting to just buying it by the box, anyway), I will consider it complete.

If I get one on my box, then cool - if not, so be it. I've stopped caring when they do these things because it only leads to disappointment.

I have been lucky to find all the CMF's for every series, even the Olympic figs, so call me a completist I guess. But limiting to 5000 worldwide makes me shrug and say "If I get lucky, so be it". I like the idea of one in every box; gives an extra incentive to look for it or even buy a whole box, and sell the extras once you find the gold one.

With limiting it, I'm not going to buy 8 boxes from TRU in hopes of finding one. This will all come down to luck of the draw and that's about it.

I can just imagine what they will be worth on eBay or Bricklink....... :wacko:

I wonder, do you reckon the gold minifigures might lower the aftermarket prices for the ordinary figs in these series? There's a slight chance that they might since sellers might buy more in bulk just to try to obtain the golden figs, but probably not given the scarcity of these golden figs.