TrumpetKing

LEGO Collectible Minifigures Golden Minifigure Discussion

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the use of Golden Minifigures is true for Series 10 and 11?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but just for Series 10
  2. 2. If the rumor is true, do you plan on finding one or more of this Golden Minifigure?

• Yes, of course!
    • Nah, I'll stick with non-Golden Figures.
    • Probably, depending on how it looks
  3. 3. Will you plan on buying the complete set of figures (including the Golden Figure), No Golden Figure but complete Series (or just ones wanted) or The Golden figure plus some spares?

• Complete set AND Golden Figure! More LEGO!!!
    • I'll stick with a few spares and the Golden Figure.
    • I'll buy the full series/ones I want, but no Golden Figure.

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

According to Brick Fanatics, Series 10 will feature a Golden Figure(s).

Series 10 of the Collectable Minifigs will be gold and in the series will be golden minifigs hidden to find, expect this series to be massive.

Link Here: http://brickfanatics...oy-fair-report/

What are your thoughts on this alleged Golden Minifigure?

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I can't think of a reason that LEGO wouldn't do this, so while I am by no means convinced, I'll trust the rumor for now [edit: I'm convinced]. After all, Ninjago has a "Golden Ninja." I am wondering if the Golden Minifig will have any other parts that can be used to identify it in bag.

PS - I notice that the third question on the poll doesn't have an option for "don't plan on getting the Golden Minifig" - that response wouldn't be relevant for me, but I can imagine that there might be some poor, misguided people who don't want any Golden 'Figs :tongue: .

Edit: Just read the article (guess I should have done that earlier, huh...) and now I just read on Brickset as well (near the bottom of the page). I guess it's confirmed. Too bad that there's only one gold fig per box - that's awful. One last thing: I noticed Brick Fanatics says that this will be in Series 10, while Brickset says Series 11.

Edited by Lord LOLrus

Actually I didn't answer the last question originally, but was forced to otherwise. I don't care to own any of the golden figures as of right now. Depending on what it actually looks like is different. If it is simply a regular figure all in gold, then I won't care about it. if it is one of the regular figures, only in gold, then it may change my mind depending on how it looked. I don't plan on ebaying/bricklinking a golden figure, but if I come across it in my searches, then it may be a different story. Or I may end up selling it to recoup some cost.

PS - I notice that the third question on the poll doesn't have an option for "don't plan on getting the Golden Minifig" - that response wouldn't be relevant for me, but I can imagine that there might be some poor, misguided people who don't want any Golden 'Figs :tongue: .

I edited the poll for you :wink:

The second question could do with some sort of middlefield answer like "Possibly, depending on how it looks." Because, well, that's how I take all the figures, golden or not: if I like the looks of it, I want it - if it leaves me cold, I leave it on the shelf. Thus I can't honestly answer the third question with any certainty, because the answer depends on whether or not I want the golden one, which I don't know before the pictures. It could be nice for a statue. It could be lame.

If the standard box for Series 10 and onwards will hold just 30 figs like we've heard it might, "one per box" wouldn't be any scarcer than Forest Maiden & co. is in Series 9. Could be harder to identify, of course.

Edited by Haltiamieli

Personally, I'm kind of unhappy about this, as I've got a hard enough time getting the "normal" figs.

Personally I think it would make sense to wait until there's more details before discussing this or trying to obtain peoples opinions.

You should have a question asking if people like or dislike the idea of having a very rare minifigure as part of the CMF line.

If it's a golden version of a regularly appearing figure, then that would be great and I would hope to find at least one.

If it's a golden blank figure with no details or accessories, then aside from being very easy to find, I would not want one.

I think the important thing to remember is that you can still feel the bags if it's just a blank figure with nothing else and you wouldn't even have to open it to know you got one. Meanwhile, if it's a golden version of a regular figure, than the only way to know you have one is to open it. This makes me think that any Series with a golden chase figure might just be over-produced to meet the demand of all the people who will be opening these figures. This could mean that the set might be easier to get if it's over-produced and it might be easier to find certain figures on the secondary market because more figures are being opened.

You have to look at it like Magic: The Gathering (or most other past or present collectible games). The rare stuff tends to sell for high amounts, however the only way to get the rare stuff is to open alot of product. This means that rare Magic cards go for alot, while every other card goes for very little, since the market becomes over-saturated. In the end, completists suffer if they choose to go after the rare stuff in order to have complete sets.

I'm honestly not happy about this. The CMF line has been consistent from series 1 to series 9 and has had great success doing so. If it's not broke don't fix it!

I liked Season 1-8 for the relatively flat rarity. They were easy [and therefor fun] to collect. Series 9 has some oddly shifted rarities in it which are annoying, but hardly a deal-breaker and not that tought to work-around.

Adding a chase level figure is gonna kill it for me, though. Or at least kill the completionist thing. I can't reliably expect to get the golden figure [as I'm not buying a case], ergo, why bother getting all of the set at all? There's probably 4 or 5 figures from seasons 1-9 I have simply to finish those sets. Which will become [potentially] an impossibility with a chase figure.

So maybe in the long run I like the Golden Guy, 'cause it'll break me of the habit a little bit.

I'm very much against the idea of a rare minifig and have no intention in chasing it and may stop buying the CMFs altogether. Thanks, Joe

Hmm depends on what kind of gold..is it pearl gold or chrome gold?

There are a couple of pearl gold figures out there so I hope it's chrome...

I wouldn't mind if they made one, what's wrong with it?

Makes hunting for the figures more fun!

I'd love to find a Golden minifig, but it's gonna be REALLY hard, since there are only going to be 5.000 of them. Source: fbtb.

1 in each box of 60 would have been great, though.

I wouldn't go on a Golden Minifigure hunt, because I so far only have purchased those minifigures that I really like and not collecting all 16 in every series from 2 (where I began collecting).

But I would keep it, if I should be so lucky to find one.

I'd love to find a Golden minifig, but it's gonna be REALLY hard, since there are only going to be 5.000 of them. Source: fbtb.

1 in each box of 60 would have been great, though.

Well, it says the golden minifigure will be in addition to the 16 from the series, so that's good news at least. It's a small blow to completionists which I have been for the most part. I was able to ignore the 9 olympic figures as I did not see them as part of the numbered sets of 16 that have been released. (Plus, I'm not really a fan of sports minifigs) I guess I can ignore the golden minifigure in the same way. With only 5000 of them, they shouldn't get in my way too much. Still, I am fearful of people potentionally opening more of the packets in the store while looking for these things.

Okay, the info from FBTB kinda nullifies the current poll results. :laugh:

5.000 in the whole world means that the figure is so rare that we can simply ignore it's existence and continue on our previous collecting habits. Thus the chase figure does not excite, but neither does it bother me. Admittedly I would be bothered if it was something that I really want. In that sense golden figure is a good choice, as that's something none of us really, really, really want and need and have dreamt of since childhood.

Edited by Haltiamieli

I'm not interested at all and won't go out of my way to get one . But if one were to fall into my hands I would probably wait a few years and then sell it when the value rises. Honestly I have most of the CMFs from series 1-9 but there are some that i have no interest in getting. I don't get them as collectibles I get them for use in mocs. The most useful for me being the unique town figs. You can't get a plumber,basebll player,artist, or butcher anywhere else.

The internet code tracking thing is a nice idea, but it's almost guaranteed that not all 5000 will be entered. Which is kind of sneaky when you think about it, because it will lead people to believe that some are still out there, when maybe they aren't, and drive them to buy.

And then years later, people will still be asking "hey, whatever happened to those 600 golden minifigs that aren't accounted for?" To which someone will in reply make a clever MOC about golden minifigs living off the grid on a farm somewhere. :)

Five thousand is exceedingly rare. If I happen to get one, great. But I'm not paying $400 for a minifig. The bloom was off the rose for me with the olympic minifigs anyway. And besides... it's stressful enough just trying to get all 16 of each series like I do anyway. On the plus side, this will be fun to spectate.

Edited by Zeya