Missing Brick

Palace Cinema 26-Seater Auditorium Mod

Missing Brick...... BRILLIANT SOLUTION to a rather bland interior design!!!!

I especially like the fact that you made it much more like a real old 1920s/1930s movie palace/cinema, which had main floor and balcony seating!! I love how you put the projection booth and theatre managers office between the main floor and balcony level to a mezzanine level, and added not only main floor/balcony seating... but you also added a balcony foyer at the front of the building... a brilliant stroke, since no movie theatre auditorium has "real" windows. I love how you did your main floor and balcony seating, with the ceiling chandelier... very true to the original concept of the times. Also you added curtains... which all movie palaces would have had back then. The dark red curtains are a great addition.

The ONLY thing that you are missing in your design is a Procenium arch to frame the stage/screen. Perhaps around the outer edges of your dark curtain you could add tiles... perhaps an edging of these modified tiles around the 2 sides and top....

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=2412b

And in the upper left and upper right corners of the Procenium you could have one of these in the same color....

http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=2460

... and stick a trans-clear minifig head on the end of each of the 2 posts on these modified tiles to make it look like Procenium lights.

But your design has taken a flat screen viewing room, and turned it into a Movie Palace with Balcony Foyer... that matches the facade and the old movie palaces of the 1920s.....

BRAVO!!!!!!! :sweet:

Edited by LEGO Historian

...The ONLY thing that you are missing in your design is a Procenium arch to frame the stage/screen. Perhaps around the outer edges of your dark curtain you could add tiles... perhaps an edging of these modified tiles around the 2 sides and top....

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Good ideas. I originally intended to make the screen and side walls alot more elaborate - I bought some red curved wedges specially for it - however, unfortunately there isn't really enough room in the standard set. There's only 2 studs to either side of the iPhone = 1 stud after fitting the curtains. It would be nice to have 6 studs either side for more decoration.

I'm looking forward to seeing larger mods using multiple sets eg. to make a 48x48 cinema - then you could really go to town on the procenium arch. Perhaps even an orchestra pit or music hall organ, THX speakers on the walls etc. Lots of stuff you could add.

The building as a whole looks fantastic with your modifications. The iPhone screen is a great idea that has been nicely executed. Well done!

I think that since your original pictures were posted and the release of the Palace Cinema set the entire community has been waiting to see this. You certainly didn't disappoint - this is fantastic!

Thank you showing what potential lurks in the standard set!

Thanks all.

The ONLY thing that you are missing in your design is a Procenium arch to frame the stage/screen.

Just thinking about this. Somebody already suggested this I think, but it would be interesting to mod the set into a regular straight building like the Town Hall or Fire Brigade. This would allow you to expand the auditorium from 20 studs wide to 30 studs wide. So you could have a central tunnel entrance with walkways and 3 seats either side. Plenty of room for a procenium arch around the screen. More lobby space so you could reinstate the concessions stand. Could be very cool. You can probably retain much of the exterior architecture: Central entrance with just one arch + 2 windows above either side. Perhaps the posters could move into the lobby. eg either side of the auditorium door. I reckon you could seat 40 minifigs...

MUCH better than the original!

That's the beauty of Lego. They couldn't have released a set like this for a number of reason, but we get to make those changes ourselves and improve upon what we buy as a standard set.

Overall I really like the mods, very well done. That said, I kinda like the original version better, this one seems a little crowded to me. From the sounds of it, I'm in the minority on that one. 48 wide or convert it to a non-corner building would maybe give more room and space to add all those seats.

This is a fantastic MOD. The seating is well done, I specially like the rounded fence of the upper floor.

This is really nice. There seems to be some hallway space on the third floor, where you could put a tiny concession stand or at least a popcorn cart. Or have girls in the aisles with trays of snacks and uh, candy cigarettes.

Great MOD of the Palace Cinema "Missing Brick". I think many had hoped for more seating and a balcony in the original when it was first announced. Youve certainly got peoples inspiration going to MOD thier own.

We had a cinema like this in my home town called The Classic. It's now a trendy wine bar or something. Shame.

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. All I have is a question: Will you be switching the lower case A in the PaLaCE sign to an upper case one?

amazing mod! the screen is cool! hahaha

now all we need is for you to post a video of your cinema playing a real movie!!!!!

This is wonderful, I can remember going to picture theaters like this one when I was young. Unfortunately all replaced by multiplexes now and the original grand old buildings either demolished or converted to other uses.

This is brilliant! I just got this set and I may be adapting some aspects down the road. Great stuff!

I love the multiple floors of seating in the building, but my favorite part is probably how you used an iPhone as the movie screen. :laugh:

Great work!! I'm going to MOD my palace cinema by combing two sets and putting them on a 48x48 baseplate. I'm still deciding on whether to have a balcony like you have or just do stadium seating, and possibly some combination of the two. I wanted to ask if you built a staircase to the balcony/projector room, if so could you post a picture of that? I think your build came out great and it's builds like this that inspire me to try and build my own. My first project I'm about to attempt is making a 4 bay Fire Brigade and then on to the cinema. Thanks for any help and for posting this great MOD.