Missing Brick

Palace Cinema 26-Seater Auditorium Mod

I thought the 6-seat Palace Cinema auditorium was a little small, so I built a bigger one!

[ Now updated with pics of the complete set:]

One minor change to the exterior: I removed the wedge plates under the Wu-clock and ran the snot pillars all the way up. Nice and smooth.

8481745597_9fc30e9ba9_c.jpg

As you can see from the posters in the lobby - it's 70's night at the Palace.

8482840074_9c0e23f8ee_c.jpg

8481750869_1fb23e961c_c.jpg

The concessions stand had to go but at least there's a restroom now:

8481750645_c0366bdc3a_c.jpg

The seats are filling up fast.

8482838944_7db9cbb12a_c.jpg

The Palace is fitted with the very latest in big screen technology:

8481748433_0bc725e7b3.jpg

Time for tonight's main feature:

8481746543_e39f8c4461_c.jpg

8482841516_76a8c9d690_c.jpg

8482847904_81d56bf41b_c.jpg

8482836932_37271b424f_z.jpg

by Legoogel, on Flickr

Edited by Missing Brick

I think the Palace Cinema set offers some huge potential for Modding and I really like what you've done.

Time to get some preemptive Bricklink orders in prior to the set's release.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

AWESOME work 'Missing Brick'.....great that you have packed in everything but the ticket window and candy bar ! :grin:

In fact if you did that you would have a MOC instead of a MOD.....I wonder how this is going to fit the frontage of the cinema building ? :look:

Brick On 'Missing Brick' ! :classic:

Well done, Missing Brick! This cinema looks much more regal and ostentatious than what is in the official set. I'm sure this room will look good in its final home, once the Palace Cinema is released.

I agree, this is amazingly well designed and executed, will probably be copied many times, since it's the way the interior of a cinema of this scale should look like. The additions are great stuff, too.

I guess the only reason they didn't do it this way is that it's contradictory to the modular concept - in my opinion this shows how a system with inflexible determinations may strongly interfere with the design of such a thing. There's much empty room in the lobby which could be used much better - as you have shown. 26 seats instead of 6 - that's quite an improvement! The figs will like that since they can take their friends and family to the cinema, too. :wink:

Anyway great job on this, looking forward to seeing it combined with the set! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fantastic Auditorium you have created there Missing Brick. I guess this is the style that a vast majority had hoped for with the Palace Cinema but I guess the style they have created is from a different era and price too.

Well thanks for posting and I guess many will be copying your version.

This is brilliant. I love the mods. I thought about modding the official set eventually. I don't think I'll copy this, but I may borrow a few ideas from this.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the official set plus this mod in the end.

Wow. This looks awesome. I like how difference in the seats and the opulent railing on the balcony work well to differentiate the two seating areas.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Palace Cinema as a whole!

Nice work :wub_drool: and definitely an improvement to the original!

Thanks for sharing it here.

Very neat design, but you're going to have to make some careful decisions with the size and placement of the screen if you want it to be fully visible from both the regular and balcony seating.

Impressive...

I was very disappointed with the Palace Cinema's interior, particularly the windows in the screening room, the non seperate projection booth and the limited seating. Your mods solve all of these issues. I will certainly be doing something like this, unless I go for a straight rip-off!! Speaking of which, would it be possible to post more pictures as some details are still a little fuzzy. A Ldraw or LDD file would be great but I know how time-consuming that can be.

Now, if only someone could redesign that awful limo...

Dan-147

Thanks for all the comments everyone,

> I wonder how this is going to fit the frontage of the cinema building

I have left room for the two ticketing windows in the lobby. The floor above the projection room is designed to line up flush with the base of the upper storey windows  (so the projection room has no windows to the outside). So hopefully it should all mesh together well with some minor tweaks.

> you will need to make some careful decisions with the size and placement of the screen

> if you want it to be fully visible from both the regular and balcony seating. 

Yes. This is tricky. Ideally the seating should be one or two studs further back - but the geometry is pretty much fixed by the need to keep a minimum 4-studs for the ticket kiosks, the projection booth and the 45 degree door area. The way I've made it you can just about see the screen from the back row of the balcony with a slightly restricted view.

Just bricklinking some parts for the iPhone screen wall now.  I will take some better pics of the inaugural movie showing next weekend.

I would love to see updates on this. I was also thinking this would be a great design for a potential opera house, which would be cool as it could go in the "civic center" with the town hall, fire/police HQ, etc.

Can you please upload a LDD file for this? I think I'm not alone in wanting to make one of these for myself!

I liked this so much. Great job! (-: I have really liked how you made the way through the second floor. I am not sure if I am going to purchase the palace cinema or not. Maybe I will get Town Hall or the Haunted Mansion or sth different. ?:

Sorry, I don't have an LDD file. I built it the old fashioned way - you know, trying things out with actual bricks and plates :) It should be fairly easy to copy. You just need a shed load of red seats, DBG plates and dark tan 2's & 1's.

New pics of the complete interior to follow next weekend - the screen wall is done and looks pretty smart with chandelier and iPhone screen built in. Great fun playing the opening credits to Star Wars in the auditorium. I first saw the film in a cinema alot like the Palace. Double nostalgia.

Edited by Missing Brick