gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Minifig-scale Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing

(06-03-2013)

Small update replacing the pictures with a black background by ones with a light one.

(06-03-2013)

For improvement of general swooshability! I've updated the internal structure to something that is way way way more stable (I can't stress this enough). If you're thinking about building: use these new model files (2.0). Really. Throw away the old ones. The result?

8537819816_7dd86babdb.jpg8537819228_9a19db010e.jpg

See? No more hanging parts and disintegrating sidepods! Much better.

(02-03-2013)

It's done! I've added a build report below (after the files section). :excited:

You know what they say: "A bird in the hand is worth..."

8521005205_6dd18137c1.jpg

(01-03-2013)

So it turns out that real brick building is still rather necessary if you're inexperienced with 100% from scratch MOCs: the sidepods weren't strong enough to support the wing weight, so they have been redesigned internally. Also my solution for mounting the ion cannons on the sail didn't work as well in real life as it did virtually, so that has been modified as well. I'd strongly recommend getting and using the updated model files(posted below) if you're serious about building the model.

Also, expect a write up of the build soon (with pictures! :wink:)

(30-01-2013)

This model is now on Cuusoo! Please consider voting for it if you want TLG to make it. Thank you! :classic:

(31-01-2013)

I've updated the model to v1.2. The differences are all internal; the model should be sturdier now. IMPORTANT: if you're gonna build it using LDD instructions, please consider using the model-in-parts-file. This will force LDD to generate the instructions per major component (there's 9 in total), making it much easier to build.

I've also added a wallpaper-like scene at the bottom of this post!

(30-01-2013) New colors and updated images!

8429662748_17252f9b74.jpg8428573143_375071d5d6.jpg

..or better known as the assault gunboat from the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter game series (Mu 1 anyone?). You can find more background info at this Wookieepedia entry.

It's one of my favorite craft from the games, but unfortunately Lego never released an official set of it so far. As this thing cannot be missing from my starfighter collection*, I fired up LDD.

It's my first 100% original, from-scratch MOC. Yay!

I'm not really sure if I feel this model is done: I'm starting to suffer from "model blindness". Also the fact that there doesn't seem to be a definitive model of the Star Wing in the lore doesn't help. It's not even in the Essential Guide To Vehicles and Vessels. The model is rather bleyish, but for the love of me, I couldn't figure out a color scheme. I've included the LDD model below if you want to have a go at it, though I suppose most imperial craft are bleyish.

So I'm hoping that you guys and gals can comment on whether or not I've done a decent job so far. Here are pictures so you can make your mind up (or you can just download the model file below).

8428572931_479eee09cd.jpg

8429663072_52185514d4.jpg

8428572503_a1f1e1a85f.jpg

(minifig included for size)

Some background info

TL;DR: keep scrolling! The files are down below :wink:

According to the lore, this ship is 10 meters long, 15.1 wide and 7.2 high. If my calculations are correct, that translates to 32x48x23 studs (about scale 1:40ish, which is minifig-scale). I believe the model is about that size (anyone got ideas on how to measure models?).

It has 689 pieces of which none are rare according to LDD Manager. The model features foldable wings as well as landing gear and holds true to my "no flick-fire missiles in my house" policy. The ion cannons on the dorsal fin can rotate. There's a cockpit and the pilot has a chair. Because there are two technics axles running through the model (they connect the pods), it should be stable and probably quite swooshable. I won't find out until I build it of course (which may take a while since building the B-Wing burned through my budget rather quickly).

If anyone has a better idea on how to construct the cockpit with these angles, please let me know. At first I used transparent panels on the sides of the cockpit, but they gave me design headaches up to the point where I was tempted to cut off the top bit (with the studs) from the panels to give the pilot some more room and raise him a bit so he can see outside the window properly. This is why I went with the small panel / transparent plate setup. I wanted to use this Windscreen 3x4x3 as it was the only one that kind of matched the angles I was looking for (when you use it on its side anyway).

Files

Play around with it. Maybe one of you can come up with a color scheme. Let me know what you think :classic:

(31-01-2013) Here's a group of Star Wings patrolling around an ISD (click for big).

8431428621_91021c11e7.jpg

*See my B-Wing MOC post: I collect starfighters from the X-Wing/Tie Fighter game series in minifig-scale.

The Build

I've finally managed to real-brick build the model! :excited:

So here she is:

8521999094_453bae17a7.jpg

Turns out that although building with virtual bricks gives you a lot of freedom to experiment, there is no substitute for real-brick building. In this paragraph I shall share some things I've experienced while converting my virtual model to something real.

First problem I had was with the ion canons on the sail. Turns out my old grey frictionless pins are not fond of jamming bars in them. So I've opted for the solution shown below (which still looks rather neat).

8511422654_a7769f6992.jpg

Then there was my "ingenious" solution for mounting these two canons really low and close to the sail. The original plan was to use a brick with an axle cross and jam the pneumatic "T" pieces in there, which oughta fit according to LDD. Turns out, they don't. Well, they fit, but (probably due to wear or tolerance) the brick doesn't hold them properly. Below you see the more standard solution for the problem.

8510312417_b02d214596.jpg

Note that in the new model file it is done slightly different, which you can also see in the first picture in this post.

And then there was sidepod stability... my biggest problem (as I had predicted and feared). My original design turned out to be very fragile. As the picture below illustrates: just the weight of the main wing was already enough to have the assembly split and come apart (notice the black gap in the middle grey part).

8521999866_7b11a499dc.jpg

I've come up with a redesign that kind of works (I'll get to that in a minute). This is the main reason why, if you have already downloaded a model file and intend to build this thing, you should get the updated model files I've posted here. The version number should be 1.5.

Unfortunately, that rework of the sidepods didn't stop the axles that connect them to the main hull from bending. The result of that is a model that looks like Star-Wars-meets-Salvador-Dali (apologies for the slightly blurry picture).

8520887551_237875e267.jpg

I've already modified the main hull so that a pair of extra axles is present near the read. This helps, but doesn't stop the hanging. I'm afraid that if I want to make is internally strong enough, I've got to go with an entirely different solution. Probably lose the axles and use beams/thick liftarms instead. I might play with that after I'm done building my Missile Boat (coming soon :wink:).

The solution I'm using at the moment to combat the hanging is simple: support the sidepods!

8520886807_7a48fc42a5.jpg

As you can see, I've used a 1x16 technics brick and it works really well. Ideally, one would use a 1x14 brick, but I don't have one. Sure, the stand is a bit bulky, but nothing I'm currently annoyed with. So it suffices for now.

Other than these issues, the build went rather smooth. I was particularly happy with the sides of the nose: they are much sturdier than I expected, allowing me to remove one of the 4 connection points so I could make the internal cockpit a bit sturdier. I'm happy with how big it turned out; getting a sense of scale is always difficult when you work digitally.

I hope you've enjoyed my little report and good luck if you attempt to build this! :purrr:

Edited by krispy
Updated the links to the files as dropbox reverted the original links :(

Impressive work :thumbup: :thumbup: I love this craft perfectly detailed :wub:

That is some great work. Especially the missile tubes and the articulation points. The colour is a bit dull, why did you not add the red from the source material?

It definately needs more colour. At the very least add in some dark grey to vary it up and give it a slightly more 'worn' look.

That said: WAAAANT.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAANT. NOOOOOW.

Thank you guys for the kind words :blush:

I agree though: it definitely needs "seasoning". I'll play around with the model some more today; see if inspiration comes to me (also I've gotta wait for my Tie Defender remix to render anyway... has anyone noticed that waiting for an image to ray-trace is like the digital equivalent of watching paint dry?)

Thank you guys for the kind words :blush:

I agree though: it definitely needs "seasoning". I'll play around with the model some more today; see if inspiration comes to me (also I've gotta wait for my Tie Defender remix to render anyway... has anyone noticed that waiting for an image to ray-trace is like the digital equivalent of watching paint dry?)

Yes, it's exactly that. I've started leaving them running while I go to work. And then getting really depressed when I come home and it's barely passed 50%.

Like it, like it a lot. You captured the sleek shape very nicely and, with the inconclusive source material, great result. Working landing gear and folding wings are also very neat.

I measured the thing out in LDD (by laying out some plates and counting studs :laugh: ) and it comes out to about to 32 long, 45 span and 23 high, so pretty much spot on. Can't say I've got a better idea for the cockpit, the shaping is good, though it seems hard to access. As for stability and swooshing, I'd guess the side pods and wings should stand up to it, but the top fin connection seems fragile.

In terms of colours, here's my wild stab in the dark (measuring rigs still in place), dark grey base, some red highlighting and black details.

Edited by Commander_Rob

Absolutely love this! Id never seen the ship before, but seeing the source material, it looks very authentic and true to source used. At some point, I now hope to make this! Really good job well done!

After looking at the center fin connection, it looks like it would be stable/solid enough to me.

Edited by Fuppylodders

This is pretty awesome! I love the design and shaping and the fact that it looks like the Imperial Shuttle in starfighter form. Great work! :wub: Oh, as far as crticism, it appears that the "real" ship is highlighted with red and dark gray, so maybe add those colors to the model.

Edited by M<0><0<DSWIM

has anyone noticed that waiting for an image to ray-trace is like the digital equivalent of watching paint dry?)

Not really, I just send them to the graphics department at uni :laugh:.

Wonderful job on what was always one of my favorite ships from the game.

And just to make you feel better, the original in game presentation of the ship was a standard Imperial grey color, with no red markings whatsoever.

Not really, I just send them to the graphics department at uni :laugh:.

Ugh.. and I suppose they have 64 core machines to do their heavy lifting? *jealous*

After looking at the center fin connection, it looks like it would be stable/solid enough to me.

I should make a mock up, but with my recent coloring explorations, I've added an extra pin. Thanks for the vote of confidence though :classic:

As for the color....

The colour is a bit dull, why did you not add the red from the source material?

In terms of colours, here's my wild stab in the dark (measuring rigs still in place), dark grey base, some red highlighting and black details. [/background][/size][/color][/font]

Awesome.. that's the push I was looking for!

... it appears that the "real" ship is highlighted with red and dark gray, so maybe add those colors to the model.

... it lacks some colors ...

Wonderful job on what was always one of my favorite ships from the game.

And just to make you feel better, the original in game presentation of the ship was a standard Imperial grey color, with no red markings whatsoever.

Wait what!? Oh right, the original game didn't have textures. Just Gouraud shading. That does make me feel better!~

For those of you who desire more color, this is what I've come up with looking at the game models:

8409659363_74befdd4a3.jpg

I've expanded the color palette with more dark bley, blacks and reds. Note that the latter image (right or lower depending on your screen res), has a "sticker" photoshopped on the dorsal fin. I've been toying around with all kinds of construction techniques to get the same effect in Lego, but they just don't have the same effect or make the dorsal fin really thick.

I figured it wouldn't be to hard to go out and buy some red sticker material and cut the stickers out yourself. Even though I ...erm... dislike stickers (with some passion), this seemed to be the best option. Thoughts?

Edited by krispy

Ugh.. and I suppose they have 64 core machines to do their heavy lifting? *jealous*

For those of you who desire more color, this is what I've come up with looking at the game models:

I figured it wouldn't be to hard to go out and buy some red sticker material and cut the stickers out yourself. Even though I ...erm... dislike stickers (with some passion), this seemed to be the best option. Thoughts?

:laugh:

The colour is simple but it makes the world of difference :thumbup:.

Uh Oh, SAMP's you just made some enemies :grin:.

Uh Oh, SAMP's you just made some enemies :grin:.

"SAMP" is a new acronym for me (=n00b), but I'm guessing it has something to do with making your own stickers....

I've updated the main post with the new model file though (which you can find here).

"SAMP" is a new acronym for me (=n00b), but I'm guessing it has something to do with making your own stickers....

Stickers Across Multiple Parts.

Where bricks are joined with a sticker, so it's impossible to take them apart or use them else where without ruining the sticker.

I always thought the acronym for that was STAMP.

Anyway, liking the colourings, liking the second better even, but since it'd only work as a sticker...

Think I need to build me one

It's nice when someone posts instructions and a parts list, AFOLs always seem overly protective of digital designs, what's the harm in letting others build your set, it's the ultimate compliment after all

Stickers Across Multiple Parts.

Where bricks are joined with a sticker, so it's impossible to take them apart or use them else where without ruining the sticker.

I always thought the acronym for that was STAMP.

Anyway, liking the colourings, liking the second better even, but since it'd only work as a sticker...

Well.. you can always make a batch of em.. (I personally don't tear down my models a lot; I have a starfighter cupboard :classic: )

Think I need to build me one

It's nice when someone posts instructions and a parts list, AFOLs always seem overly protective of digital designs, what's the harm in letting others build your set, it's the ultimate compliment after all

Everything is a remix.

I hope that people will improve upon my design; hopefully come up with cool things I didn't think of. And with a little luck, they'll share those improvements so I can build a better starfighter too!

Ultimately, sharing the model is for my own gain too :wink:

Sorry for going all philosophical on you guys!

That model is fantastic! Someone has put a Star wing on Cuusoo, but it is nowhere near as awesome as that! Please post your design to Cuusoo, I will support it and be more than happy to link to it in my designs!

I cannot wait to see this design on Cuusoo. I will put links to it in all my designs. Once I build my Avenger, I would love to take a crack at building this. :classic:

That model is fantastic! Someone has put a Star wing on Cuusoo, but it is nowhere near as awesome as that! Please post your design to Cuusoo, I will support it and be more than happy to link to it in my designs!

I agree, please consider putting it on Cuusoo.

I cannot wait to see this design on Cuusoo. I will put links to it in all my designs. Once I build my Avenger, I would love to take a crack at building this. :classic:

I agree, please consider putting it on Cuusoo.

Consider your request granted. :grin:

It is now on Cuusoo! Thank you guys for supporting!

I've also updated the markings and tweaked the color scheme. I think the model looks much more coherent and way more interesting now. The LDD model file was also updated.

Edited by krispy

Consider your request granted. :grin:

It is now on Cuusoo! Thank you guys for supporting!

I've also updated the markings and tweaked the color scheme. I think the model looks much more coherent and way more interesting now. The LDD model file was also updated.

Suported :thumbup:.

Good luck with it.