Artifex

Is Kre-O compatible with Lego?

Hi there!

I love Lego.

I also love GIJoe.

This year, Kre-O is releasing some GIJoe sets.

You can check some of them at HissTank.com.

But I don't want to buy any of those GIJoe Kre-O sets just because they are GIJoe. I'm not that type of fan.

So I'd like to know if you can mix-and-match Lego and Kre-O -- can you use bricks from one with the other? Do the studs hold?

And can anyone please post a couple of pics of Kre-O pieces mixed with Lego ones?

I believe they are, yes. I got a Kre-O set for Christmas, and the box says that it is compatible with the leading brands, but I haven't tried.

Tad bit late but yes, Kre-O is compatible with Lego. Most of the colors are the same too, such as dark blue and red. The colors I've noticed that aren't the same are white, yellow, and silver. As far as pigment consistency goes it's the same as Lego as well, so the only way you'll be able to tell the difference is the lack of stud embossing or seeing parts Lego doesn't make :P

KreO plastic seems also quite good quality wise (though the only non LEGOs I can compare it with are a few Halo sets from Megablocks), only the ball joints are a bit weird, but these probably won't be a big issue for GI Joe sets.

Yes Kreo bricks are compatible with Lego but you may notice difference in the clutch power of the Kreo bricks. The stud pieces in Kreo appear to be a lot harder to stick on to other studs or bricks from my experience. Others may not have this problem though.

I've only really built one KREO set, but it was an enjoyable building process. I've seen a couple of the Transformer sets on clearance and considered buying them, too. I don't think I've tried to connect the KREO bricks to my LEGO bricks, though, so I can't speak to how well they hold. Some of the vehicles in those KREO GI Joe sets look very cool to me, but I really don't care for the look of KREO's human figures, so my interest level is probably going to depend on how attractive the prices are considering the figures. As badly as I dislike the figures, though, I love the realistic looking modern weapons.

My son has a couple of Kre-O sets and figures mixed in with his Lego and it all seems to work just fine. Some of the Kre-O figures' accessories mix really well with Lego minifigures if you're not a purist (Jazz's "helmet," for instance, looks cool on pretty much any Lego head).