Kristel

Winter Village: Cafe

I am too clumsy to ski or snowboard, so when I do find myself in a winter village, the first thing I look for is a place to have a nice mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows. Hence, the natural choice for my entry to the Winter Village contest was a cafe!

The footprint of the cafe is similar to the first three Winter Village sets. It has four subsets and 6 minifigures. Hope you like it.

First up, a picture of the whole "set":

8394901484_1a49a34273_c.jpg

The cafe itself:

8394900944_5feed78048_c.jpg

A view of the interior, with the guy who drinks eight cups of coffee a day because he has a crush on the pretty cafe owner:

8394899518_7fa8c8492f_c.jpg

Another angle of the back to show some more of the detail:

8394898796_71ba72d493_c.jpg

Final photo is a collage showing the details of the roof, the chimney and how the lightbrick lights up the transparent green and red plates above the front door:

8395745709_4c10299392_c.jpg

The lightbrick gives quite a nice effect. Unfortunately, my photography skills don't do it justice.

Here is the flickr link for some more photos. C&C always welcome.

Edited by Kristel

The colorscheme works nicely and there are lots of great details like ski/snowboard rack, little cart, picnic table, and great interior :thumbup:

It is surely a great place to have a mug of hot chocolate! Your creation is so full of details; I really love the ski rack and the coffee machine!

Good luck in the contest!

Yes, really very nice. I love the colors. It looks very restrained and refined and would fit in with the official sets quite handsomely.

Joe

This is definitely one of my favourite entries. I'm in the same team as you for skiing, so naturaly I'd go for a cup of chocolate or some spiced black tea instead of skiing. :sweet: I like the style of the cottage, keeping it pretty simple with some extra colour on the facade and a small roof over the front door. The interior is even better. It's full, but not crowded. The sign seen through the door is a nice addition. Do you mind telling where did you get it? I like the small cafe tables, news stand, desk and bed on the top floor. You did a very good job! :thumbup:

Edited by Redhead1982

I think the contest may just have been won! I love it. :blush:

Thanks for sharing it with us

Love love love this! It´s so cute. The coffee machine is amazing! And I really love the choice of figs and the addition of the rack for the ski´s and snowboards. Great work!

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup: I rally like the ski-rack, good luck for the contest :wink:

Very nice, I like the colors and little nuances like the offset windows on the second floor particularly. Thanks for adding it to the group on Flickr!

I think the contest may just have been won! I love it. :blush:

Thanks for sharing it with us

I think you are right!

This is definately the building my village needs!

Good luck with the contest!

Andy D

Edit: Just noticed the coffee machine! Great! I may have to "borrow" :blush: :blush: that. For a coffee shop I plan to build.

Edited by Andy D

You've done it again! Why am I always impressed with your builds?! (maybe because they are superb)

I really like the overall shape of the building. It fits really well with the rest of the line. My most favorite part is the main level window out front. I love the shape and style. I may have to "borrow" that sometime for a build.

The interior is very fitting and everything looks great. The newspaper rack is a nice touch.

This is what I get for not submitting my entry yet. I was planning on doing a cafe originally, but I don't think I can compete with this, so I'll have to change my layout a bit and make it something else!

This is really lovely! It is very much in keeping with the official sets, but still very unique from them. I really like the offset windows on the second floor - nice touch.

Thanks, everyone, for the great comments! I really appreciate it.

The sign seen through the door is a nice addition. Do you mind telling where did you get it?

I designed the sticker myself, using Inkscape to draw it, and then printed it on standard photo sticker paper.

Just noticed the coffee machine! Great! I may have to "borrow" :blush: :blush: that. For a coffee shop I plan to build.

My most favorite part is the main level window out front. I love the shape and style. I may have to "borrow" that sometime for a build.

This is what I get for not submitting my entry yet. I was planning on doing a cafe originally, but I don't think I can compete with this, so I'll have to change my layout a bit and make it something else!

Thanks Andy D and LegoDr. Go for it, I'd be honoured. After all, imitation is the greatest form of flattery!

LegoDr, there's plenty of room in the village for another cafe!

This is really lovely! It is very much in keeping with the official sets, but still very unique from them. I really like the offset windows on the second floor - nice touch.

Very nice, I like the colors and little nuances like the offset windows on the second floor particularly. Thanks for adding it to the group on Flickr!

Thanks vynsane and Jonathon. I like how the top windows turned out. It took ages finding a combination that worked in the small space available.

And my pleasure, vynsane. It's a great idea for a group!

And my pleasure, vynsane. It's a great idea for a group!

Thanks, yeah - I found it odd that there wasn't already a group dedicated to the Winter Village sets and MOCs. I only created it on January 6th!

I just noticed the "Widow's Peak" on both rooflines in this shot. Another fantastic nuanced feature!

Thanks, yeah - I found it odd that there wasn't already a group dedicated to the Winter Village sets and MOCs. I only created it on January 6th!

I just noticed the "Widow's Peak" on both rooflines in this shot. Another fantastic nuanced feature!

Thanks for pointing this out! I have updated the first post with a collage picture showing the roof from a different angle.

This is gorgeous, one of my favourites thus far. I love the layers of colour, and tan/dark blue is a great combination. The interior is lovely and those roof details are perfect.

And, most importantly, in my opinion: It would fit perfectly with the official sets. Well done!

This is gorgeous, one of my favourites thus far. I love the layers of colour, and tan/dark blue is a great combination. The interior is lovely and those roof details are perfect.

And, most importantly, in my opinion: It would fit perfectly with the official sets. Well done!

Thanks, L@go. I'm glad you like it. I knew what I wanted the roof to look like before anything else, which meant that I actually started with the roof first and then had it sitting on supports while I figured out the rest of the building to go with it.