On 8/8/2013 at 3:05 PM, Robert Cailliau said:

Robert, I just have to say thank you for the great resources about dimensions and other lego/duplo descriptions.
This was very helpful, to create a modular OpenScad lego/duplo interfacing tool. It's basically only creating standard blocks, rail interfaces and base plates and here it's also possible to tweak brick dimensions for all other projects. You could then export to STL & print.
So it starts to be more interesting, when using this base module to create more advanced track systems:

07fd4d4a5755af8ecf0a341056fcc72b_preview

And there are many more tracks possible: a lot of standard track options; many crossings; many funnels.

On 5/2/2014 at 8:40 AM, Robert Cailliau said:

zg0, I made an attempt, not very good, of linked bogies:

post-79532-0-86941100-1399012535_thumb.jpeg

post-79532-0-13593900-1399012562_thumb.jpeg

(and that puts me at the limit of my media)

The link itself is heavy because the axles are needed to adjust the length, which is not a whole number of units.

Also, kinematically this is only an approximation, but it works better than unlinked bogies. There is very little friction.

The gears are there only to get the 4-unit beams onto their middle.

I did not bother with hooks etc. but it rolls fine. Not yet made it go over a bridge though.

This is also great. Actually, I was thinking about creating a DIY 6x6 driven locomotive (also about standard train length). So I also need some flexibility in the wheels. My first attempt was unstable version, this one looks better.
But what holds this mechanism straight, when moving over a straight track? In this case the wheels colliding against the rail-flange? But that will give a little friction..?
If more people are interested about such a design, why not start a new topic about this?

Edited by edge_nl

just added a Bricklist of 'All the DUPLO Trains'.

all Thomas sets missed.

I deliberately decided not to include the licenced themes - "All the Duplo Trains that run on track, excluding licenced themes & Dacta but including the Intelli-train". I could add a new Bricklist for them later.

Posted (edited)

Hi there!

I'm trying to find the length for this rare LEGO Duplo short straight piece (pretty sure the part number is #4665) -
71cq1dM1PHL._SL1500_.jpg

Could anybody enlighten me and fellow Duplo fans with the track length or how many it takes to form the equivalent of a plain, straight Duplo track?

Many thanks,
Jan

Edited by DuploLayoutsOnMac

Posted (edited)

There you go:

DuploRails.jpeg

So it's three studs by four.

These bits are useful to close some layouts with tracks at angles other than 90º.  However, they do not stick to plates or blocks and there is quite a lot of play.

The answer then is: 3x8=24, so 8 small ones will have the same length as 3 standard ones. Nothing in between.

Edited by Robert Cailliau
add detail

On 11/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, edge_nl said:

Robert, I just have to say thank you for the great resources about dimensions and other lego/duplo descriptions.… … … …If more people are interested about such a design, why not start a new topic about this?

Goede middag Edge_nl,

For some reason I did not see your thank-you (thanks!) nor your very interesting 3D printing suggestions for  more rail formats.

Sorry for that, I just saw them this morning.

And yes, a topic for 3D printing of compatible parts is a very good idea.  I have a printer (Ultimaker-2), but the grandchildren have outgrown Duplo…

Does a 3D group of topics not already exist?  I have not looked. In any case, Duplo rails do not require the same precision in 3D printing as standard Lego pieces do.  Unless parhaps for sticking to Duplo bricks.

Thanks!  (I've got OpenSCAD too)

Hello Robert,

The answer then is: 3x8=24, so 8 small ones will have the same length as 3 standard ones. Nothing in between.

Many thanks for the response! Wow, that's a funny piece then.

I'll go ahead and add them to the LEGO Duplo library in our macOS track planning apps so our users can include them when designing Duplo track plans!

All the best,
Jan

It is a funny piece in more ways than one.  It follows the old style, where they could not be put on top of bricks or plates because the coupling bits went down too far, getting in the way of the studs of the plates or bricks.  Therefore they cannot be used to build on supported slopes or bridges, only laid out flat.

You may wish to explore

/L/Lego/Duplo/Train/Rails/Dimensions/

(on first visit you may have to click the "Englsih" button and then reload the link; I'll change that asap)

So who wrote the track planning app?  Can I get it?

BTW, also note this:

/M/Mathematics/APR/Description/