Number: 6509/1477

Name: Red Racer/Red Race car Number 3

Theme: Classic Town

Subtheme: Race

Year: 1991

Minifigs: 1

Pieces: 34

Price: Unknown

Ah, 1991, back when impulse buys were in boxes instead of in polybags. I recently acquired a coworkers lego collection, and I thought I'd review some of the sets I was able to recreate from a combination of our collections.

Parts

1477-01.jpg

As you can see, there aren't a lot of special pieces by todays standard, but the finger hinges are always welcome. Its a good collection of usable bricks in two standard colors. I'm a little annoyed at the vehicle base, but it's still a good pallette. Be aware, I had to substitute white pieces for red with the 2x3 plate and one of the hinge pieces.

People

1477-04.jpg

This minifig is sort of a classic. It may not be as beloved as the classic space torso, but I bet a lot of us have a few of these in our collection. The helmet looks out of place, and the white legs seem to be a little washed out, but it does look like a race car driver. Too bad he's driving a go cart.

Design

1477-02.jpg

As you can see, the vehicle base is at least used correctly, with the depresion used for the seat of the driver. The jumper plates on the back are a nice touch, adding to the intrest of the build and the usability of the parts. I imagine if this was designed today, they would use cheese slopes instead of panels, but it is still effective parts use.

MVP (Most valued Piece)

1477-05.jpg

Slope Brick 33 3 x 2 with Number 3 Pattern. In a small set like this there is usually one outstanding piece. Allthough the engine piece is rather nice, I'm nominating this piece. Mainly because it was very possible for a kid to collect multiples of this piece. It was in seven or nine sets (The counte gets confusing) and many of those sets are rather small. It's also one of those decorated pieces that would be home in space or town.

Conclusion

Parts: 9/10: I'd prefer plates to a vehicle base

Minifigs: 8/10: I'd prefer different legs, and although nonstandard heads were rare at this time, they were available.

Build: 10/10: It uses the most of what it had.

Playability: 8/10: By itself it rolls. It was really meant more as a suplimental set for the other race sets.

Price: Unknown...for me it was 11/10 'cause I got it for free, but that isn't really accurate.

Overall: 87%

Great review of cool little classic town set.....in these days of more detailed city vehicles this would fit perfectly as a go-cart. :wink:

Brick On Review On 'Jareth' ! :classic:

Many thanks for the great review Jareth!

Now this really makes me happy since exactly this set was the only Lego there was left (apart from two 2x4 bricks) when my dark ages came to an end in 2011, see below. I didn't even know what it was - now I know! Thanks again! :classic:

6191080633_c238762576_m.jpg

Nice review. This was my first or second ever LEGO set. I also had an ambulance but I was 2-3yo so I can't remember which I got first. I still have the minifig and the red car base.