darwin316

Modded Jabba's Palace & Rancor Pit

Oh man, this one rocks!

Could you just give me an overview what kind of bricks you used to lift up the tower and connect it to the pit. Maybe a step by step manual? I'd really like to put mine in action like this. Because I don't have that much time at the moment I'd like to use some of your ideas.

Edited by cookiemonster

Great MOD! I think of making this myself after seeing how awesome it is! could you maybe make a picture of which pieces you need extra to build this, and which pieces are left?

BTW, I saw someone inspired by your MOD:

That mod looks pretty good!

Oh man, this one rocks!

Could you just give me an overview what kind of bricks you used to lift up the tower and connect it to the pit. Maybe a step by step manual? I'd really like to put mine in action like this. Because I don't have that much time at the moment I'd like to use some of your ideas.

Sorry guys, I didn't really pay attention when I was building the set back up after the tear down, and all the extra pieces have been combined into my parts bin. The pieces I remember using that were not part of this set includes (dark gray) 6x16 plates, L bricks, 2x4, 1x2, 1x3 bricks.

I didn't have any extra brown pieces that matched the color of the palace so I took the pieces that were hidden in the floor (between the plates). Raising the tower will cause the doorway to the palace to be misaligned. So the doorway in the tower has to be lowered using those extra brown bricks from the floor. I used a regular 2x4 brick to directly attach the tower to the palace ( instead of the technic pieces). I'll try to take pics when I get a chance, but it could take a while.

Edited by darwin316

This is fantastic workmanship. Did you make the extended palace base for the tower from the plates left over from the extra rancor set?

This is fantastic workmanship. Did you make the extended palace base for the tower from the plates left over from the extra rancor set?

I used extra plates I had in my parts bin in addition to the extra set.

This mod is amazing. I was planning to skip these sets, but because of you I picked up Jabba's palace last night. Plan to grab the Rancor pit today.

Would love to see some detailed shots of the door mod you mentioned.

Thanks guys. I wish I could tell you how I rebuilt the tower doorway but I literally just started from the bottom of the tower and kept adding bricks until I got the top of the doorway to align with the palace, lol. I didn't have any matching brown pieces so I took some from the baseplate (which were used as structural support in the floor, but not seen so I just used gray bricks for replacements). You could see in the first pic that I have an extra darker brown brick on the left doorway.

I'm going to try this out this weekend. My parents gave me Jabba's Palace a couple of days ago, and I'm heading to Target afterwork to pick up a 2nd Rancor pit.

Thanks guys. I wish I could tell you how I rebuilt the tower doorway but I literally just started from the bottom of the tower and kept adding bricks until I got the top of the doorway to align with the palace, lol. I didn't have any matching brown pieces so I took some from the baseplate (which were used as structural support in the floor, but not seen so I just used gray bricks for replacements). You could see in the first pic that I have an extra darker brown brick on the left doorway.

I'm going to try this out this weekend. My parents gave me Jabba's Palace a couple of days ago, and I'm heading to Target afterwork to pick up a 2nd Rancor pit.

I picked up both yesterday. I plan to tackle this as well. I'll try to report which extra parts are needed.

Edited by Latency

I bought two sets as well, one with figs and one without. They weren't to do this mod but I think I will play off yours and mod mine up as well. I also have one Jabba's palace without figs but will pick one up with figs later. Sweet mod!

Lego Man of War

This mod was the main reason I picked up these sets. I had no plans to buy it until i saw this post.

I just finished the mod and love it. It was very straight forward and the only extra pieces I needed were a few 1x3 bricks for the middle arches in the pit, and a lot of dark bluish gray plates for the palace extension, and I ended up using about 6-8 1x6 light bluish gray bricks for the palace floor. The 2nd rancor pit should provide everything else you need. I used random bricks for floor support, but they aren't needed. The rancor pit had extras.

I'm not sure i understood the reason for pulling the tan bricks from the floor spacing. I didn't need any. I removed the tower from its base and it was a direct drop in to the new floor.

I didn't realize the OP raised the rancor pit by 2 bricks. I didn't do this and it's quite cramped. I recommend anyone planning to do this mod to raise the pit height.

Awesome, Latency. Good to hear that someone else did the mod. This is how it should've shipped from Lego to begin with, IMO. Yeah, I pulled the bricks from the baseplate before my second pit arrived. Checking my parts bin, I do have some of those brown pieces left so I guess it really wasn't necessary to pull those bricks. As for direct drop, you should check the doorway connecting the palace to the tower. They are aligned when the tower is at its original position, but when elevated, you see part of that doorway frame above the palace.

And yeah, I did the same thing when I built this mod... I kept it at the original height and found out how cramped it was, lol.

I just got done building both sets and I'm torn!

I love the new sets. But I'm left with the feeling that it's missing something. I just ordered a second Rancor pit from Bricklink, without figures and Rancor, and I'm looking at a second Jabba's Palace to expand them both. They are both great set on there own. But the 2 need to be bigger. Maybe I can add Jabba's band to the second palace.

This is a great mod, thanks for the idea!!

Jamie

I don't have my "main" copies yet, but I went ahead and picked up a copy of the Rancor Pit without figs anyway. I have, for the most part, moved out of Star Wars sets, but all these new Jabba sets are definitely the exception, and I want to mimic your modification from the start.

Hey Flash,

It appears in your mod that you use less bricks than Darwin. Does your mod use no extra pieces other than that which comes with jabbas palace and 2 rancor pits?

Edit: Sorry also I wish to do this mod but I am unclear of which extra pieces I need to make it successful.

Thanks

Edited by StandardSc2