• Average
    • Above Average
    • High Octane!
  2. 2. Which tanker do you prefer?

• 3180 Tank Truck (2010)
    • 60016 Tanker Truck (2013)

Well, I found a picture of it... link since it is very wide:

link

See in the middle just behind the crane, it is that truck but you can't see the front.

8389211313_740c701214_o.jpg

Similar, certainly, although that one only has a single axle behind the reel.

Love the truck, but I'm a bit disappointed it only includes one minifigure when all the other Great Vehicles had two (and even three, as the Ambulance did). Maybe it would've been asking a bit too much for them to include a small car like in the flatbed truck set, but surely they could've included a motorcycle and a driver of it so you'd actually have someone to use the filled-up gas pump. It's a minor issue, I still intend to get it, but it does feel like it's a bit less value compared to the other two new GV sets, which have more minifigures and more playability.

You're right; usually in trucks like these, the cab is suspended above the chassis and engine, which produces a little gap. What I was referring to is the excessive gap caused by the assembly of black plates and tiles under the cab (the side plates are set a stud back from the tiles). It wouldn't be possible to correct this with currently available molds, I don't think. Perhaps I should make this clear. :thumbup:

It sure does, I didn't notice this form the pictures. Well, untill now.

Thank you for a great review!

M.u.s.t own one! I remember the Octan tanker truck from the beginning of the 90's, it was one of my favourite sets in my legocollection as kid.

My gabagetruck are soon out of fuel :devil:

Oh,... someone find me a job or a pot of gold!

Brilliant review and excellent photo's rufus. For some reason I didn't get th previous octan tanker but I will definately get this one. As per them both having amber roof lights, this is maybe because when they are used for airplane refueling as 3180 was grouped with the last airport series. I see lots of tankers the size of 60016 around my area as they are a good size to deliver heating oil.

Actual this size truck is useful for refuelling diesel tanks on farms or transport depots....the hose issue is still a problem for the tiger.....sounds like a MOCing challenge for myself again ! :laugh:

Good review, but I'm curious to find out how you see 1950s in the orange recovery truck.

Edited by Raphy

A typically excellent review, Rufus - thank you !

I think LEGO have done an excellent job on the City trucks last year and this; the Tanker Truck is lovely, although I do slightly prefer 3180. Neither of them are a patch on 671, however, which was one of my favourite sets as a kid.... :wub:

Now we need a nice petrol station to go with the truck... About time we got something to rival the gems from the past, e.g. :

6378-1.jpg

How about it, LEGO ?

D.

I really like this set and it's a good companion to 3180. My only complaint with this set is that from the side view the tank seems to blend in with the truck. It's not rounded enough to really stand out, and the ends would really benefit if there was a piece that would give it a slight rounded bulge to continue the tank look. I still like it and need to pick up one or two more to go with the lonely one I own.

Now we need a nice petrol station to go with the truck... About time we got something to rival the gems from the past, e.g. :

We actually had an Octan petrol/gas station back in 2007:

7993 - Service Station

7993-1.jpg

That was one of my most favorite sets up to now, and it goes well with the similarly-themed Octan 4207 City Garage. Though I guess after 6 years it's time for another updated Octan petrol/gas station to go with this new tanker truck. :classic:

Great review Rufus. :sweet: This really makes it's predecessor look rather simplistic. Although 3180 perhaps looks more realistic (with the tractor-trailer configuration and without the hazardous exhausts), this definitely looks more 'finished'.

That's what I said actually. But it is not available in Europe yet, is it?

It appears to be available in the UK. :wink:

Yes they are certainly available in the UK and have been since the new year. I plan on getting either this one or the recovery truck tomorrow, have not yet made up my mind which?

Neither of them are a patch on 671, however, which was one of my favourite sets as a kid.... :wub:

I couldn't agree more. :thumbup: I just wish mine weren't so chewed (and were complete!) :sad:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/6378-1.jpg

Funnily enough, I recently got hold of this :

8389199033_145f20bcc7.jpg

It's the same era as the 671 tanker - they go together. I was planning to review 377 but unfortunately it's missing a few pieces. :sad:

We actually had an Octan petrol/gas station back in 2007:

I had that one in mind when I suggested, like Dave, that LEGO needs a new petrol station. I so nearly bought that one. :enough:

That's what I said actually. But it is not available in Europe yet, is it?

When researching the prices, I did a little world tour of Shop@Home and it seems to be available everywhere I looked. :wink:

Why is it that I'm quite happy to walk past the trucks and City stuff normally (although I am interested in 4432 Garbage Truck) but as soon as I read this review I wanted the bloomin thing

Must be a great review, that image with the petrol station is superb, btw

Nice review and a nice truck. I agree with some of the other posters that this is more typical of an oil tanker than a petrol tanker as the latter do tend to be articulated. I though for a moment that maybe the Octan Energy brand was aluding to this but then why is there a petrol pump? Anyway, I think it's a nicely proportioned little truck and as it has a low price point I'll definitely be gettng one.

In answer to some of the truck related queries:

The gap visible on the front of many truck cabs is due to the cab being separate to the chassis. This is for two reasons, primarily because the cab tips up to allow access to the engine and other components that are mounted underneath. Secondly, many cabs are mounted on air suspension on top of the chassis which in turn has it's own air suspension. You can see this when trucks stop quickly as the cab bounces around more than the rest of the truck. This gives a much smoother ride.

The exhausts on tanker trucks are most often mounted lengthways under the front bumper.

Cab over truck cabs are by far the most common in Europe. The main reason for this is that the overall length of the truck (and trailer) is reduced. This means more room for cargo while keeping within whatever the maximum length for vehicles is in that country. It also means that the cabs on their own take up less space to park in depots. They are also cheaper to build (less truck=less parts=less raw materials), cheaper to run (less truck=less weight=better mpg) and they are easier to drive.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Great review, the price hike is a bit much and means its gunna need more sets to build decent octan tanker train wagons. damn!

Thanks for the review Rufus, very useful and entertaining. I think the truck is very good but it's very overpriced for such a compact model. I will probably set about trying to give 3180 the same look in the cab area as this one :sweet:

Great review, Rufus. It is very good to see you back to share with us on your insightful City review! This Tanker Truck is definitely a nice improvement from its predecessor. I could not mind to own both to create more new variations and it is always nice to see new tanker truck designs making back to City scene. As always, your review is very helpful to ascertain my buying decision. Thank you for doing this for us.

Thanks for the review! I too love Lego trucks! I own the trailer, but I do like this compact version.

I'm actually overwhelmed by the number of City vehicles TLG has been pumping out lately. I need another job to afford them all, lol.