ER0L

Fleetwood MOC - proposal for a different car for 10232 Palace Cinema

[Edit, 23 Jan] Here you can see the finished car, a Cadillac Fleetwood. There are some explanations and some more pics in this post.

8404261037_11cf7e2a64_z.jpg

[/Edit]

1358340840m_DISPLAY.jpg

Hi all,

honestly spoken, not yet a MOC but still a WIP. But no sooner there was the idea that this might go well with 10232 Palace Cinema I wanted to share it with you as quickly as possible.

The origin of this was the usual struggle with the windscreen height. The idea here is that you get a much nicer silhouette for such a car if you lower the windscreen into the body (you can do that only with a 7w body, of course). Some other issues result from this, but it is possible. This surely has been done before, but maybe not in a setting like this.

The car is built in a bracket-and-tile style, this has several advantages. Due to the brackets the frame is quite stable and may serve as a platform for more cars in this style. It fits 3 figs and can easily be turned into a convertible. No custom chrome (so far) and as far as I can see no illegal or especially difficult techniques (except the tires maybe), so it can easily be copied.

The whitewall tires are my own design (no paint), tailfins taken from Legohippie, see http://www.1000stein...y.php?id=241132 Alas, no openable doors which is not so nice in terms of a replacement for the original car, but I didn't find a way until now.

More to come, or rather "soon in your Movie Theatre". :wink: Thanks for looking, c&c welcome as usual. Some more pics:

Convertible:

1358340842m_DISPLAY.jpg

An older (three days or so :wink:) version, as could be seen on Flickr). You may notice that the whole thing stays quite low in order not to "dwarf" the figs too much:

1358343908m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by ER0L

Nice :) It replaces well the original car. I am curious to see the next improvements.

Edited by antp

Considering the doors on the official "limo" are for a classic 4-wide scale car and look totally out of place on it, i wouldn't worry about the lack of doors on this. It looks fantastic BTW, a lot like the Christine Plymouth.

See Lego that's how you build a classic 50's car.....AWESOME work 'ER0L'......cool black and very 50's red with white roof :wub: ......Brick On Drive On 'ER0L' ! :grin:

Looks great all round. The fins are wonderful, as are the white-wall tyres. It really captures what I imagine in a 50s car.

Nicely done, ER0L!

Nice :) It replaces well the original car. I am curious to see the next improvements.

Thanks antp! There are some improvements (see below) but still some work to do ...

Considering the doors on the official "limo" are for a classic 4-wide scale car and look totally out of place on it, i wouldn't worry about the lack of doors on this. It looks fantastic BTW, a lot like the Christine Plymouth.

Thanks a lot bootz! Well, for some reasons it would be nice to show the moment when the film star gets out of the car :wink:. This is what they had in mind, given the fact that there are only back doors. Christine: I can see what you mean, perhaps this is something that could be made out of the red and white version ...

See Lego that's how you build a classic 50's car.....AWESOME work 'ER0L'......cool black and very 50's red with white roof ......Brick On Drive On 'ER0L' !

Thanks a lot LT! I don't dislike the original car, I must say, it has a style. But it doesn't really match the complexity and seriousness of the building. The car looks like a toy, the building doesn't. But this is a problem throughout. In my opinion there are practically no [Edit]official, to avoid misunderstandings[/Edit] cars at all that go well with the modulars. On the other hand something like this would never fulfill the requirements in terms of parts number, stability (and width :wink: ). But we are free to do what we like, and we get all those fancy parts to do so - and that's the fun of it.

Looks great all round. The fins are wonderful, as are the white-wall tyres. It really captures what I imagine in a 50s car.

Nicely done, ER0L!

Thanks a lot jamesn!

It'd look great outside a Batman premiere!

Er, why do you think so? :wink:

Awesome cars ER0L! I'd definitely prefer these over what's coming in the set. You capture a classic Caddy perfectly! Great job

Thanks a lot LGB, glad you like it.

Thanks all for commenting and viewing so far. I'd like to add a photo of the actual state of the MOC. Since there is no PC yet the diner may serve as a replacement. More to come.

1358417497m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by ER0L

Next challenge for us : Find the best model to replace the ugly Limo!

old_bangle.png

Next challenge for us : Find the best model to replace the ugly Limo!

This looks very nice - it definitely meets the style of the Fire Brigade truck! Which is a problem on the other hand, since it's a truck - put a fig besides, and you'll see what I mean :wink: That's what the TLG designers tried to do - keep the body low, small wheels and all. So the movie star doesn't have to jump on the red carpet. But since it looks odd to put a usual windscreen on such a flat car there is that tall frontend, which doesn't seem to work with the rest of it.

I dunno, it reminded me of the original Batmobile's colors and shape I guess (especially without the roof). I like it though!

No, just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. Now there's an idea ... :wink:

[Edit, 18 Jan] Now that my dear friend Philipp (Brucewaynelego-Toyshansolo, thanks a lot!) sent me something special today you might better understand why I think the car is suitable for movie star purposes:

1358516800m_DISPLAY.jpg

1358516812m_DISPLAY.jpg

[/Edit]

[Edit, 23 Jan] Some more pics of the finished car and some explanations.

Silhouette:

1358875557m_DISPLAY.jpg

Rear:

1358875506m_DISPLAY.jpg

Interior:

1358875303m_DISPLAY.jpg

Explanations as on Flickr and MOCpages: Built in a bracket-and-tile style. 7w, fits 3 whole figs (1 chauffeur, 1 bodyguard, 1 movie star). Detachable roof, convertible version available. Wheels are spinning. There is a steering wheel. No paint, no custom chrome (so far ...). Sorry, no openable doors.

Two things were important here: The existence of suitable whitewall tires (see http://www.flickr.co...er0l/7020251727) and a windscreen that is lowered into the body to get a nicer silhouette. This weakens the structure, but due to the brackets the frame is quite stable and can be used for similar cars at this scale.

Credit: Legohippie (tailfins, see http://www.1000stein...y.php?id=241132)

Thanks for looking!

More pics here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/352356

[/Edit]

[Edit, 23 February 2013]

Cadillac combined with Palace Cinema:

8497826671_0e937a01fe_z.jpg

8501073538_66de8c3220_z.jpg

8501085538_8291efb416_z.jpg

Buildings and most of the figs courtesy of Na Dine. Many thanks!

[/Edit]

Edited by ER0L

Beautiful work. It is very fitting for the Palace Cinema! It makes me want to build my own version of this whenever I pick that set up. It actually makes me want that Cinema set more.

Keep up the great work. You are a master with cars.

Beautiful work. It is very fitting for the Palace Cinema! It makes me want to build my own version of this whenever I pick that set up. It actually makes me want that Cinema set more.

Keep up the great work. You are a master with cars.

Thanks a lot TheLegoDr, glad you like it! It's always nice to have a suitable surrounding for the cars, and thanks to the Palace Cinema there's a little glamour in the city now ...

Looking forward to your version! :thumbup:

Wow, what kind of vehicle you have done here. It satisfies all my expectations. And pictures that you added last are amazing. Well done.

Just love it!!! Great job EROL and thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot SwissBrick, glad you like it!

Wow, what kind of vehicle you have done here. It satisfies all my expectations. And pictures that you added last are amazing. Well done.

Glad to hear this from you solta, thank you very much! Concerning the last pics I must say it was fun but I find it rather difficult to get such a complex scene right. There must be more interaction between the figures to get it as lively as it should. And you shouldn't put a red car in front of a red carpet, I guess :wink: But that's something to work on ...

Many thanks all for commenting and viewing!

I haven't really had time to check the forums thoroughly for the past couple of weeks, but I need to compliment you on these American classics you keep churning out at the moment. The lowered windscreen patent works so well on these, and the sideways-built flanks make for very interesting results. These are among the very best minifig-scale cars I know.

EDIT: And the same thing goes for your lovely police interceptor. Are you planning on bringing your cars to any events in the near future? Maybe Skærbæk in September? I'd love to be able to study them up close.

Edited by L@go

I haven't really had time to check the forums thoroughly for the past couple of weeks, but I need to compliment you on these American classics you keep churning out at the moment. The lowered windscreen patent works so well on these, and the sideways-built flanks make for very interesting results. These are among the very best minifig-scale cars I know.

EDIT: And the same thing goes for your lovely police interceptor. Are you planning on bringing your cars to any events in the near future? Maybe Skærbæk in September? I'd love to be able to study them up close.

Thanks a lot L@go, I feel honored by this. Well, they are all based on more or less the same platform, and the platform is not as versatile as I had hoped, so I'm rather working on the details and vary the concept...

Skærbæk: Well, I didn't think about it yet but it would be really nice to meet you and some of the other great builders again (and to have some more time to talk), so I'll consider this.