Priovit70

Winter Village: Mountain Lodge

I have kept keep building modules for my "modular" Winter Village in an Italian Alpine style set nowadays. Last year, even before the first rumors about the official Lego Winter Village Cottage, I started to think about something "similar", and I ended up with building this mountain lodge. I was inspired by a house I saw last February in Valle d'Aosta and since I saw it I decided to reproduce it with Lego bricks. Actually during the work I had to reach some compromises, so the result is quite different from the original, but I am really happy with it.

IMG_2430.jpg

As you can see the lodge is made with stone and on the inside the walls are covered with wood. Every window has wooden shutters with catches and dark red curtains in the typical alpine style and . On the ground floor you can find the kitchen with all the needed appliances and a cozy fireplace with a fishing trophy on top of it. On the first floor there's the bedroom with a dresser and a bed, whose design I am quite proud of. There's also a French window (with the same dark red awnings) leading to the wooden front balcony. You can see Jeremy, the master of the house, who must have stayed up very late... Meanwhile his wife Clare is already at work.

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

On the top of the roof I put a weathercock, still in the alpine style. I guess you are asking about the reason for the four technic bricks on the back of the house... The answer is very simple: this is just a half of the entire lodge, that you can open to see the inside and it has also a basement with a cellar, but, obviously, the entire building would have been too big to enter this contest!

With the loge come also a (frozen) fountain, two beehives and a ATV with a trailer loaded with logs.

IMG_2441.jpg

And he is Tom, the village lumberjack, coming back from the woods with a load of logs; he has his favorite axe on the front of his ATV and brings alway snowshoes with him, to be ready for anything.

IMG_2444.jpg

Hope you like it as I do! More pictures in the next days on Mocpages... stay tuned!

Edited by Priovit70

The lodge looks very neat. The stone work is good and I really like the stone patio/walkway out front.

Clever use of the ninjago snake for smoke. And I really like the 1x2 grill piece as shutters by the windows. I hadn't considered that before.

I think you blended stone with wood quite nicely, so I may need to take some cues of that for some castle building I'll be doing.

My main qualms are the lady by the fountain (she must be freezing!). And then the MOC not being on a white floor/cloth/paper of some sort, just to add the illusion of some more snow on the ground. It looks too melted as it is right now. But overall it looks great. Good luck on your entry. I still need to submit mine. There is way too much good competition this year!

This is lovely. I really like the curtains on the inside, and how the interior walls differ from the exterior.

The girl by the fountain did make me shiver. Maybe the fact that it is 12 deg F outside my house today is making me cold. Maybe a cape for her would help?

This is stunning! The whole thing is so beautifully detailed, inside and out - in fact, my only niggle is that it might just be too detailed, it'd stick out if put next to the official sets. Still, I'd have no problems putting this on my shelf with the others.

Well done - this is a very strong contender!

This is a fantastic entry. The stone work in front of the house looks perfect, and the wooden shutters on the house add an alpine feel to it. It's the same with the interior and the extras - they are perfect. The smoke/snake is a nice detail. Good luck in the contest.

Edited by Redhead1982

Thank you all very much for the kind comments! I am sorry if the girl by the fountain make somebody shiver... hihihi! But, you know, mountain girls don't feel the cold!!

About the background: I really thought over a lot. Then I decided to put a tan paper behind the MOC to bring out the all the details.

About the snake: I am really happy that you appreciate that detail. I used it in some other buildings of my Winter Village.Last year in a Lego exhibition we had in my hometown, a kid came closer and then asked me: “Excuse me sir, why did you put a snake in the chimney?” Too funny!!

A little update: if you want to see more pictures, just follow the link below

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/351645

Wonderful work my friend! I learned to recognize your moc for the large number of details you use. Congratulations and good luck in the contest!

This is the kind of entry I was hoping for when the Winter Village Contest was announced :wub:

The stone and wood work are superb and the shutters are excellent :thumbup: Very nice ATV and trailer too, the whole build is very well detailed :classic:

How can I make a reservation to stay at the Lodge? :sweet:

Great idea & great build, as I can totally see it in a Winter Village! My favorite (at first viewing) is the frozen fountain :wub:

Best of luck!

The stone path outside the house made my jaw drop, literally. It's ingenious, just like the rest of the set. Looks dang comfy too. Brilliant job!

Beautiful all over! That you made the essential elements of the lodge in separate pieces (house, fountain, post boxes) is great, as are the smoke and the use of a sextant in the fountain. The interior is well done as well.

I should love to live in a mountain lodge like this one! Great work, Priovit70!

A great build overall, but the thing I love is the stone work around the house; so simple and so amazing. Great job! :thumbup:

Very nice MOC indeed! There are so many techniques and details in this creation for admiring and studying!

I really like this one, especially the shutters for some reason. Are you going to post pictures of the cellar and the other half on mocpages? I would love to see those!

As I said in ItLUG's forum, I think this is an absolutely fantastic MOC :thumbup: :thumbup: I love how you made all the particulars, the fountain and the quad with the wood. :wub_drool:

Here my post dedicated to you MOC: Life in a Brick :sweet:

Edited by Wedge09