Jipay

Vikings pics

Well they can move ! This is a great improvement from the last version ! I just love them ! *satis* Hope they come in many colors :-D

Sorry guys, had to register so I could post about the castle instead of just lurking.

This has to be the worst pile of dreck I've ever seen, the original Viking castle looked (to me) 10 times better than this pile of garbage.

Currently this means that (probably) the only Viking sets I will buy, will be the ship (assuming that stays as it was first shown, of course)

I still dislike the wings, but I guess they are better. Jipay, I think we'll get at least one more color apart from those two Viking dragons - the Hungarian Horntail in Harry Potter (which is supposed to be black).

man, there's so much Viking sets! how many are there in total? i cant keep track of them!! ;)

wait let me try and count, ummm one....twoo....uhhh....uh... :|

Shame its only printed beards but still the rest of the sets make up for it and i know of a certain member here thats quite good at making custom beards. ;) :)

Nice attempt to copy the Playmobil Viking Theme and mix it with MegaBlocks Dragons.

In looking at the stronghold, I would prefer to have more traditional brick walls than the catapult contraption on top and the use of specialized pieces. The figs look neat, but I don't care about dragons. If I wanted dragons, I'd switch to MegaBlocks. This does, however, give me an idea for an alternate model with my Legorado fort.

It's funny how Lego claims to never use the good ideas that all of us come up with, but they'll copy ideas and models from opposing companies in a heartbeat. If any of you are familiar with Playmobil, they just need an arms/treasure wagon to complete the deal!

This is a nice theme though, and I think the ship and the figs will be the best.

Now we just need a Viking Clickable Smile!

the change for the vikings is for the better(exept the beards :'( ) I really like the new fortress. the huge iron gates n front really make it look cool! The dragans Are so awesome! sooo much better than the old ones.

I think that's a bit harsh, Brickster. I like Vikings, and Playmobil released them a loooong time ago. It's not like Playmobil has a copyright on them, and LEGO is just using the Viking stereotype, not copying Playmobil directly.

I agree with TheBrickster in that I would prefer more traditional style walls, thats why I posted earlier stating that the first version of the fort was (is) far superior to the latest version.

As for the catapult contraption, I can find NO reference anywhere that Vikings used catapults, so in my opinion, that is just another unneccessary gimmick.

As for the "huge iron gates" (sorry brickmaster but) they remind me of the large gates in one of Megabloks dragon sets and are not a patch on the original wooden style gates that Lego originally built.

As for the dragons, yeah, they look ok, but I'll reserve judgement on those until I've actually seen them

I'm not a Viking historian, but it's something I noticed when I saw the Lego Viking Ship with the red/white sails and overall design. I collect both Lego and Playmobil (of which both I love) and always noticed similarity in themes and sets. It made me wonder which took themes/ideas from the other. Look at the similarity in the sets - they probably get ideas from one another.

In regard to MegaBlocks, I've stood in TRU at MegaBlock Dragon displays quite impressed. I think the Dragons theme is probably the best MegaBlock offers. I've never cared for MegaBlock quality, but after buying a single dragon, the dragon quality isn't too bad (esp. compared to Bionicle).

Given Lego's financial issues and rising competition with companies like MegaBlocks (or whoever makes them), it's not surprising that Lego is starting to make dragons. It's proven to sell to child markets, and I don't blame them for competing. They can use Playmobil and MegaBlocks as successes for themes.

My comment was a bit sarcastic but I did mean it - and I do believe there's more than just random theme "stereotypes" (as you called it). Watch for other sets and other themes down the road and you'll observe similarities as well. Many copy Lego and I don't think Lego is above copying others (esp. if proven successful).

In any case, I still like the vikings theme though and look forward to buying some of the sets. Thank you and others who take time to post information so we can all share.

LEGO Viking sails are based on things like this:

6057-1.jpg

That was released before Playmobil Vikings, so they aren't really stealing anything (this was the only Viking-like ship LEGO released before Vikings themselves, though).

And the horned helmets are universal, even if they aren't true to history itself. ;)

OK, we're certainly both entitled to our differing opinions, but I think we'd both agree that it's a neat theme.

Agreed. :-D

I can't wait to build a Viking army.

I'm really dissapointed about the lack of 3D, plastic beards. But I guess Lego needs more cool faces, and I guess this would be a good way to get a few more(although I don't know what my Adventurer's MOC's could do with Viking faces hahah).

I don't mind the Dragon Idea... especially now that they look better. I like the fortress... I just don't think a catapult was necessary... the prototype sets "tower" was better.

Overall... i'm still looking VERY forward to this line.

:'( I rather liked the previous version of the viking base.Where are the beareds.The Row boat and the previous monster,while bizzare the new dragon looks abit deformed.Hopefully the Viking longboat isnt modified.

I think it goes down to saving money for Lego.

This is just my take (at least in the last 8 years or so...):

The prototypes are very cool, but then some stupid Lego exec says

that it will cost too much money to produce it this way,

"why not make it this way so we don't have to spend so

much money." (and so we can disappoint our captive audience

AFOLs again).

>:)

Ben M.

and so continues legos theme.Ruin a great product ..

"Hey Ive got a great new set design" said the designer

"give me a couple of weeks and we will fix that" said the executive"

The Exec fires the designer with great ideas and a background of lego..

"hmm that much better now we have a team of University graduates who have never touched lego in their lives.Im sure Now Lego will do well."

"On second thoughts perhaps we should sell out and lose lots of money on Copyrights"

(bring back the beareds!)

Too bad that all the people who know how to run this country are busy driving taxis and cutting hair.

George Burns

Man, how come its taken so long for them to do the Vikings?

Its the best combination, hard Minifigs Vs Big Monsters.

Is the red dragon definately Viking, and not Harry Potter?

These is a Dragon in that film.

Matt

It's possibly Harry Potter, if they changed the color of the dragon. It's supposed to be black.

Here's an image from the 2005 movie calendar, supporting that it's probably not the HP dragon:

gofcalendar05.jpg

Also, the dragon in the 'catapult' Viking set is red, so... quad erat demonstratum.