Blakbird

[REVIEW] 42000 Grand Prix Racer

This is a bit of an unusual review from me since I am writing it from my hotel room in England. I was visiting the UK on business and took the opportunity to buy a 42000 since it is available before normal release at the Argos stores here. This means I didn't have much of a build table, just my hotel desk. And I didn't have any good lighting or my DSLR camera, so all these photos were taken with my iPad. I apologize in advance for the quality. All things considered, I think it came out fairly well. You can get larger versions of all these images at my Brickshelf.

Here is the box. In an unusual twist, it is actually a bit smaller than you would usually expect for a set this size. You can see the alternate model on the back.

img_0219.jpg    img_0221.jpg

Inside the box are a large number of polybags which are made of a smoother and more flexible material than I have seen before. The instructions come packed with cardboard to keep them safe. The second image shows all the parts unpacked.

img_0220.jpg    img_0225.jpg

The instructions come in an unnecessary number of volumes as usual, in this case 3. There are so many stickers that they even take 2 sheets.

img_0223.jpg

Let's take a closer look at some of the parts. This first image confirms that we do indeed have a new source of the rare 81.6x36VR tires which previously only came in the 8146 Nitro Muscle set. These have been used in quite a few MOCs with instructions lately, so they have become quite scarce. The new model should flood the market with new parts. You will also notice the wheels are black which are always in demand. The next image shows the huge number of panels you get here. Lots of rare white panels and a few of the new smallest panels in red. We also get 4 of the always in demand 5x11 panels in black.

img_0222.jpg    img_0224.jpg

There is some more good stuff here including 4 stiff shock absorbers, 16 steering arms, 7 9L links, and of course the new front and rear hubs which have been discussed in detail elsewhere. Some people (like myself) tend to judge the overall goodness of a set by how many gears it has. By that measure, this set is respectable although it cannot touch 8043 or 8110. Don't forget the 3 mini linear actuators. I am torn on these. Functionally, I feel they were totally unnecessary in this set and would rather have had the old style dampers like the Silver Champion. On the other hand, people buying for parts will love the presence of the mLAs.

img_0226.jpg

Let's start building! This first image shows the beginnings of the chassis which is an inexplicable mixture of black and red. I wish it had all been black.

img_0227.jpg

Now we'll get started on the gearbox. The function of this gearbox is to switch between using the external crank to drive the rear wing or to lift the body to reveal the engine. Real modern F1 cars do have the ability to open the rear wing using a system called DRS (Drag Reduction System), so this is at least realistic. I don't think there has even been an F1 car with a powered system to remove the body though. In the upper part of the image you can see the 12 tooth gear used an input crank. This drives the right hand axle with two clutch gears. The mLA on the right will be angled up later and will drive the rear wing. The bevel gears and brackets on the left lead to the two yellow axle joiners which will drive the two mLAs lifting the body. Speaking of yellow, these images are a good example of the recent trend which I've decided to call "color vomit". You know how when you vomit it contains a mix of everything you ate all jumbled together? I think that's how they picked the colors for some of these parts. They just mixed together everything that was lying on the table. The yellow in particular looks totally out of place and is the reason you won't see any advertisements showing the right hand side of the car. The yellow switching lever is hideous.

img_0228.jpg    img_0229.jpg

Now the gearbox is completed and integrated with the chassis.

img_0230.jpg

This image shows the completed rear suspension assembly. Differential in the middle, Constant velocity joints on the axle, and new hubs. You can see the double wishbone suspension and why it is called that. The links result in a four bar linkage which keeps the hub parallel to the ground. The shock absorbers are inboard like on real F1 cars and are driven by 9L links used as pushrods. Unlike real F1 cars, these pushrods are on edge so the long side is into the wind which defeats the whole point. The second image shows the integrated V8 which is currently the engine configuration used by F1. Pistons are a bit big for scale though! You can't see it here, but the central crankshaft parts are now tan instead of the long time dark gray. Why? Don't know. One thing to note about the suspension here as compared to the Silver Champion is that the bellcranks are supported better so the whole thing flexes less. 8457 had the cranks cantilevered which resulted in a lot of deflection. Here, the crank axle is supported above and below.

img_0232.jpg    img_0233.jpg

Now the rear suspension is installed on the chassis. You can see the black panels used to make the flat bottom of the car. I was impressed that LEGO included these. They could have saved some money by skipping them since you can't really see them once the model is completed, but including them makes it more realistic and makes it a better parts pack. Bravo!

img_0234.jpg

Now we'll do the front suspension and steering assembly. Again we have the double wishbone suspension but this time they are 5 studs apart instead on 3 on the rear. You can see the interesting assembly method which starts with a vertical frame and builds out. The steering rack is actually ahead of the axle which is a little unusual and results in an interesting detail a bit later. In the front view, you can see how the wishbone arms, suspension pushrods, and steering tie rods are all airfoil shapes with minimum forward cross section. This is very accurate.

img_0235.jpg    img_0236.jpg

This little gearbox has a dual purpose. The little knob on top is the HOG (Hand of God) control for the steering. The right hand output will be for the steering will in the cockpit. Because the steering rack was in front of the axle, the steering wheel would have turned backward. But this little gearbox fixes that problem by reversing the direction of the wheel. The second image shows the completed front assembly.

img_0237.jpg    img_0238.jpg

Time to integrate the front and the back. The first image shows the completed chassis. From this point forward, the result of the building will be purely cosmetic. Here we see the exhaust manifolds getting installed. This is a very strange configuration with only 3 exhaust ports for a bank of 4 cylinders. Additionally, the exhaust ports exit forward of the entire engine block. Must be high technology. Looks neat though.

img_0239.jpg    img_0240.jpg

That's it! Here is the completed car before the application of stickers. Looks pretty good in perspective in the second image. What do you think of the tires? These are MUCH narrower than the tires used in the 3 older F1 cars, the 8458 Silver Champion, the 8461 Williams Racer, and the 8674 Ferrari.

img_0243.jpg    img_0244.jpg

Here is the car from the rear and shown with the body lifted. You can just see the blue pins sticking out below the rear wing. This is where you install the battery pack if you motorize the model. Like the 8070, I feel this would ruin the look of the back of the car. This car doesn't need to be motorized anyway. It is pretty easy to control the two functions manually. On the other hand, if you wanted to R/C the car (which is quite easy), you would need the battery box. The second image shows the exposed axle where you would install the M-motor to drive the on board functions. It is right under the engine ahead of the rear wheel.

img_0246.jpg    img_0247.jpg

The first image shows the bottom which is pretty flat but would look better with the chassis black. Finally, let's take a look at it with the stickers on. The stickers are pretty extravagant so they do make a big difference. I suspect there will be a variety of opinions on whether or not they improve the overall appearance. The final model is quite sturdy. I was able to pack it into my luggage assembled and it seems to be holding together.

img_0248.jpg    img_0249.jpg

Final verdict? This is a pretty great model. As a parts pack alone I am sure it will be highly desireable. On top of that, it is a good looking, reasonably functional, reasonably accurate model. As always, there are nits to pick. I wish the colors were more consistent and the instructions weren't made for a toddler. However, this probably lowers the age limit at which children can build the model. The color issues can be easily corrected by adult builders, if desired. Allanp motorized this model by replacing the steering wheel with a servo and the V8 with an L-motor. Nothing more difficult than that, and it drives great, so once again I have to assume the designers intended for that to be done even though no instructions are included for doing so.

Hope you enjoyed my review. I enjoyed spending some of my weekend abroad building the model. When I get back home, I'll take some pictures with the older F1 cars.

Great review Eric, as usual!

Thanks for taking your time abroad to do it. :classic:

Looks like you didn't succeed meeting other AFOLs, though. :tongue:

Thanks for the review blakbird,the colour variation is probably due to the price of manufacturing the parts in a different colour at least you cant really see the mix of colour one it is complete.

Its a nice set for sure. The hubs IMO are the best new bits. About colors. I dont care what colors they use internally as long as they arent visible externally. I think somehow the internals look more vivid with different colors.

Tell me are the tyres normal rubber, or is it plasticy rubber like the unimog's?

Edited by Zblj

Great review. I know the hub thing was quite a disappointment, but it is still quite an impressive model. I love the huge selection of panels, looks like it is back on my list to buy!

Just finished building mine today, One thing I've noticed, on the last formal building step (where you add the wheels) there is an indication to place 6 transclear 1x1 round plates (and these are included with the set) any idea what they are supposed to be used for / as?

I also had a disformed molding on the piston rod in the set, which makes the engine very tight

Paul

Thanks for the review blakbird,the colour variation is probably due to the price of manufacturing the parts in a different colour at least you cant really see the mix of colour one it is complete.

I personally think its due to making it a bit more easier to younger lego fans building these. I personally Hate it same way OP does it, but i guess it is childs toy in the first place. I discovered that Lego decided to put Blue pins EVERYWHERE no matter what main colour themes are, which is very very annoying.

Great review Eric, as usual!

Thanks for taking your time abroad to do it. :classic:

Looks like you didn't succeed meeting other AFOLs, though. :tongue:

Actually I did meet two people the same day for over 6 hours, and then built for 4 more. Long day!

Tell me are the tyres normal rubber, or is it plasticy rubber like the unimog's?

I am holding one in my hand right now. Feels like rubber to me. Pretty good grip on the table.

Just finished building mine today, One thing I've noticed, on the last formal building step (where you add the wheels) there is an indication to place 6 transclear 1x1 round plates (and these are included with the set) any idea what they are supposed to be used for / as?

Those are for the alternate model. It shows them in the instructions loose in the last step so you don't think you just missed where to put them while building.

The mix of colours is to, indeed, make it easier for younger kids to build. A very annoying set with this issue is the Lego Creator 4958 Dinosaur, different length beams were different colours, it was very annoying! I wish Lego would stop doing it, it is sort of showing that children are having less and less common sense nowadays... :laugh: ANYWAY, this set looks quite good, however I won't be getting it as I'm saving my money for the mobile crane later in the year...

ANYWAY, this set looks quite good, however I won't be getting it as I'm saving my money for the mobile crane later in the year...

I wonder how many different colours are in that set. :look::snicker:

as always, nice review sir! how much did it cost you for the set?

Edited by francisalmario

Excellent review Blakbird! Although you are abroad, you took time, and put some effort into making this review. Well done.

Now you convince me to buy this set.

offtopic: now, you will be the guy, who carryed F1 car in a suitcase, when going through airport check ..... :iamded_lol::roflmao: , similar to this guy ....

Great review, and I'm impressed you managed to find the time to build it and take the pictures whilst you were over here!

I think colour vomit is a pretty good description. Sometimes I think it works by adding additional contrast here or there, other times it looks a mess. As others have noted, I can only assume it's to make it easier to build. I still love the simplicity of the early Technic models though - axles black, beams yellow, gears grey - worked for me!

It does feel like the instructions are getting more and more basic. There is almost no challenge to building these sets now, and I do get frustrated with the simplicity sometimes. However, if Lego can sell more sets by making them appeal to a wider age range, then I suppose that has to be a good thing in the long run.

I guess I have very opposite opinions than other AFOLs. I like the simplified instructions. Not that I couldn't build older sets (I could build the red test car when I was 7 and the 8880 when I was 9 without much effort), but this type is nicer for me. I don't get bored/tired so quickly with building.

And for the random colors: I like it too generally, but in this model, it does look messy for no reason.

Great review, and I'm impressed you managed to find the time to build it and take the pictures whilst you were over here!

I think colour vomit is a pretty good description. Sometimes I think it works by adding additional contrast here or there, other times it looks a mess. As others have noted, I can only assume it's to make it easier to build. I still love the simplicity of the early Technic models though - axles black, beams yellow, gears grey - worked for me!

It does feel like the instructions are getting more and more basic. There is almost no challenge to building these sets now, and I do get frustrated with the simplicity sometimes. However, if Lego can sell more sets by making them appeal to a wider age range, then I suppose that has to be a good thing in the long run.

Pull out every second page out of manual! then go " CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! " :grin::devil: That will surely bring the challenge back in to your life! :wink: But nah, i agree, soon they will in print part number on each part so instructions will be even easier, oh wait...

I remember back in the day i could assemble any of my sets with no instruction and almost step by step as in instruction! :sweet: Good old days, when my brain was still young and snapy!

I know we are derailing it a bit, but this set is great example of "colour vomit" ( OP, trademark it! ). This whole yellow pieces thing inside the engine is just.... stupid... the chassis red/black. At least red and black are very handy colours and most of us can use them in mocs.

Pull out every second page out of manual! then go " CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! " :grin::devil: That will surely bring the challenge back in to your life! :wink: But nah, i agree, soon they will in print part number on each part so instructions will be even easier, oh wait...

Yeah, I've actually done that! Well, not pulling them out, but skipping a few steps and then building from the pictures. Especially where you have 3 steps for putting a few pins in a beam!

Yeah, I've actually done that! Well, not pulling them out, but skipping a few steps and then building from the pictures. Especially where you have 3 steps for putting a few pins in a beam!

That really is a thing i don't understand about Lego instructions, they cant keep consistency. Some steps are just for brain dead monkeys. insert 1 pin HERE, next step! Then you get in to the step which drops you 8 parts on already heavily built chassis and you have to do detective job to fit those, as it does not show the fitting path.

The colours can be weird. I've noticed many times with non-technic sets that internal parts which you can't see when the model is completed tend to be completely random colours. E.g. in the blue and white 7286 police van, there's two green 1x2 plates; in the yellow 3221 truck, there's a number of blue, red or white plates, all of which get hidden when it's completed. I've not noticed this as much with Technic, partly because there's generally fewer areas that are completely hidden, and partly because the standardised colouring inevitably makes it a bit of a mish-mash anyway.

I wholeheartedly support the concept of standardised part colouring, by the way, as it makes finding parts so much simpler. I've started buying old sets recently, and I've made a point of separating out the black 3L pins and black 2L, 3L and 5L axles and keeping them away from the rest, as I've already rote learned that black = even, grey = odd for axles, and black = 2L and blue = 3L for pins. It's frustrating to have to look at each piece individually to find what I'm after.

As for the instructions & complexity; when I was a kid, I had pretty much every set I owned. Nowadays, not a chance. I don't know if that's due to the size of the sets, as the biggest I had when I was a kid was the 8858 "rebel wrecker" at 461 pieces, whereas now I've got 8043, 8110, 9396, etc, or it could be that I just don't spend as much time building the same set over and over again, as I've now got the disposable income to go and buy more of them. Or maybe I'm just getting old, and my memory's not what it used to be. Or maybe it's because I don't spend as much time building each set over and over again.

What I don't quite understand is the colour choices; I don't like having a bunch of blue everywhere that there's a 3L pin or axle pin with friction. Couldn't they have gone with dark bluish grey, or even dark reddish brown?

I've also got no idea why they change it. Apparently 1.5L pins are now tan?

"colour vomit" is a great way to describe it. I know why they do it, but i'm not convinced it's needed when you have 3 parts per step and a little 1:1 diagram to show you the right size beam or axle. If they want to differenciate different colours for pins and axles that's fine, but it would be far better to colour these parts to suit the model. In this case 2l pins could be black and 3l pins could be white. Also those 5x7 frames would have been better in white. The colour of the crank pieces now makes me think the head gasket has gone (your oil and water mix and goes a tan colour). Different coloured gears is also unnecesary IMHO. It's a great set but every single set released in the past many years would have looked alot better and cooler to TLGs target demographic had the colours been done right.

Awesome.. Thanks for the review.

I think I will have to get one of these. It will take a while yet before we can get em in Australia for a good price.. grrr

Great review for a great set! And nice pics with your iPad. They are not bad at all :thumbup:

I wasn't too fond of white and red combined in a set, but with the upcoming Mindstorms EV3 this set will prove to be a nice addition.