Samanen

Pictoral review: 42006 Excavator

Ok, so here's my first ever pictorial review of a Lego set. Hope you like it and if you have any suggestions on how to improve my reviews in the future, please let me know!

First the box, nothing out of the ordinary here. It's a pretty small box for a set of this size which I think is good.

p1130752.jpg

p1130753z.jpg

The contents of the box.

p1130755.jpg

All the new and newish parts.

p1130758.jpg

Instructions. I like that they are in portrait format rather than the more common landscape format.

p1130760.jpg

Allright. Now to the build

Off course we start off by building the undercarriage.

p1130763f.jpg

Tracks.

p1130766.jpg

Centerpiece of the body.

p1130767ga.jpg

The gearbox.

p1130769d.jpg

The right hand side of the body with side body panels.

p1130772.jpg

Body mounted on the undercarriage and the first LA installed.

p1130774.jpg

First part of the main boom.

p1130775l.jpg

The second LA on the main boom.

p1130776k.jpg

The boom is almost completed.

p1130778.jpg

Cabin and left hand side body panels.

p1130780.jpg

Body completed.

p1130782.jpg

Then we start building the claw.

p1130786s.jpg

Finished claw.

p1130787q.jpg

After installing the claw the build is done.

p1130789.jpg

The claw fully opened.

p1130791.jpg

The claw fully closed.

p1130793r.jpg

Top view of the rear of the body, with the gearbox and switches somewhat visible.

p1130795.jpg

Pretty clever in my opinion.

p1130797.jpg

Front

p1130800.jpg

Rear

p1130801m.jpg

Spare parts, many of these will be used if you choose to motorize the excavator.

p1130799.jpg

I think this is a really nice model. There are many pretty clever solutions with the gears and how the axles are drawn. However the body is pretty light and because of this it won't be able to lift much weight without tipping over. Even a light camera bag for a compact camera is almost too much when the boom is fully extended. But for playing with "scrapped Lego" it's perfect, Another issue with the boom is that it won't bend enough to pick upp stuff right next to the machine. But I gues that would be an easy fix. For good movement it requires a soft surface or the tracks will skid. A carpet is perfect. This is also a set that really benefits from it's stickers. Without them it would just look empty and quite boring really.

Overall a goodlooking machine with lots of gears and of cours LAs are always great. Adding power functions will only make it better since it'll add weight thus getting rid of the tipping over problems.

I'd give it a 7,5 out 10 points. It's a fun and easy build with a low risk of making any mistakes.

Edited by Samanen

Thanks for the review,I would hazard a guess at one the battery box is added for motorization then it will become more stable.

This is the first non car/truck official set that uses cv joints which is nice. I do think that the tracks could of used some more support as they seem to have too much freedom. adding another 30 parts would of improved the base model a fair bit.

You beat me to it, I was going to review this, when I get it....

Good review, I (will) mainly get this set for the parts, although I will build both models beforehand to learn new building techniques! :sweet:

This is the first non car/truck official set that uses cv joints which is nice. I do think that the tracks could of used some more support as they seem to have too much freedom. adding another 30 parts would of improved the base model a fair bit.

They aren't actually that loose. However it would be easy to raise the support one stud to make them tighter. I agree, it looks a little bit empty as it is.

You beat me to it, I was going to review this, when I get it....

Good review, I (will) mainly get this set for the parts, although I will build both models beforehand to learn new building techniques! :sweet:

Thank you!

I think you should do the review anymay. One can never get too much info about an interesting subject :wink: And I haven't read a boring review so far. They are always fun to read. :thumbup:

Thank you!

I think you should do the review anymay. One can never get too much info about an interesting subject :wink: And I haven't read a boring review so far. They are always fun to read. :thumbup:

I will then, I want to try my hand at a pictorial review, I have quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment :sweet:

Thanks for the review, I really like this model,and for a 1h set its great, it's the best value set iv seen in a while only €64.99 in Ireland, hopefully it comes into stock soon over here.

Nice review!!

As expected this set will be very appealing to (young and old) builders and potential buyers (parents, AFOLs). Not too expensive, nice parts, some gears and actuators, treads, etc. This set will probably sell a lot during the Holiday season.

I like the new parts. Where is the new Black "Pin Connector Perpendicular 2 x 4 Bent" used?

I like the new parts. Where is the new Black "Pin Connector Perpendicular 2 x 4 Bent" used?

it's used by the tracks on the inside

p1130766.jpg

it's used by the tracks on the inside

Great, thanks! This piece can be quite useful.

Not too expensive, nice parts, some gears and actuators, treads, etc.[/Quote]

Very true. I'll buy this one :laugh: I now don't have much time to build complex sets and this one is ideal to finish quickly still with lots of functions. 8069 got me out of dark ages and this one is similar. I like sets which are medium complex and does not come with power functions (so that will perform in exact same way after 25 years).

[/font][/color]

Very true. I'll buy this one :laugh: I now don't have much time to build complex sets and this one is ideal to finish quickly still with lots of functions. 8069 got me out of dark ages and this one is similar. I like sets which are medium complex and does not come with power functions (so that will perform in exact same way after 25 years).

This set needs power functions , just as we'll they give u the option.

[/font][/color]

I'll buy this one :laugh: 8069 got me out of dark ages and this one is similar.

You can add this one to your avatar :wink:

I bought 42006 today and it took me 3 hours to make it. I didn't make pictures of the building process, but i made a comparison in size with 8043.

Now to share my opinions about this set. Well, for it's price it's a must have, the claw is very well made, tracks are tight, gearbox is ok-ish. Too bad they didn't take time to make the shell better, the design looks sort of unfinished. The worst problem for me is the weight distribution. Too much weight on the front and to little on the back, so it leans forward. Overall, it is a good set and if you don't own 8043 i think you should really get it.

8413001430_a460e353a4.jpg

8411901307_a66cc8795c.jpg

8413001352_22ba950f49.jpg

The worst problem for me is the weight distribution. Too much weight on the front and to little on the back, so it leans forward. Overall, it is a good set and if you don't own 8043 i think you should really get it.

I think the weight issue can be resolved by adding the PF (battery box).

Edited by Kronos

I think the weight issue can be resolved by adding the PF (battery box).

Yes, that's what piolopakwann did in his four YouTube videos of his fully motorized Lego Technic 42006 Excavator set. Here is one

that shows the POWER of the Linear Actuators -- the 42006 is picking up a heavy Lego 9393 set:

Yes, that's what piolopakwann did in his four YouTube videos of his fully motorized Lego Technic 42006 Excavator set. Here is one

that shows the POWER of the Linear Actuators -- the 42006 is picking up a heavy Lego 9393 set:

Okay, this video just converted me in to Heavy machinery! that is just awesome!!!!

This is the first non car/truck official set that uses cv joints which is nice.

it isn't the first non/car truck set to use CV joints, it might be in recent years? but 35?? years ago i had a yellow tower crane set that had them in, similar type as the 7905 set. there were a few other sets that had them in too but probably cars, there were 2 in the 8710 parts set which came out 1980 ish

Well done review for a definite "on-my-list" set.

I am waiting for the first photos of an AFOL to convert the 8043 into the claw digger. :grin:

it isn't the first non/car truck set to use CV joints, it might be in recent years? but 35?? years ago i had a yellow tower crane set that had them in, similar type as the 7905 set. there were a few other sets that had them in too but probably cars, there were 2 in the 8710 parts set which came out 1980 ish

They work basically the same but those were the 4L U joints, the new parts are CV joints. CV Joints should perform better than U joints like the real world counterparts.

Samanen! DAMN YOU!!!

I just came back from Town with 8109 and 42006.... I was not supposed to like heavy machinery! NO!!!!

Both great sets u got :)