krispy

[MOC] Minifig-scale B-Wing (with instructions and LDD)

Great job, everything looks good. The only problem I can see is that the engines are on backwards and one of them is sticking out a bit.

The only problem I can see is that the engines are on backwards

... so they are :look:.

Personally I quite like them that way...

However, in order to do the job properly: RenegadeClone, could you possibly post an image of how you attached your engines originally? I can't see a clear shot in your "instructions" folder.

and one of them is sticking out a bit.

Fixed. New file is in the same location.

There was a parts collision with one corner of one of the plates on the wing. Annoyingly, this only appears to be the case in LDD's fevered little mind, and only on that side. The other side is FINE, and should be taken as the template for building the wing surface.

Needless to say, I have no such issue on the actual model,

I've shortened the plate on the wing, removing a stud's worth of material. Don't worry, nothing important will drop off if you do build it that way :laugh: .

I just added an extra pin to Krispy's 4L bars to connect to the technic bricks, like this:

9TnFL2P.jpg

It is very sturdy as long as the pins are pushed as far as they can go into the engines.

I am also partial to putting trans-orange dishes on the ends of the engines but I recognise that not everyone likes this.

First off, I really appreciate the effort you're going into ScottishDave!

I've found that connecting the engine wheel piece to a 1 x 1 stud, then plugging it into the technic brick 1 x 1 with hole is fairly robust.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I've found that connecting the engine wheel piece to a 1 x 1 stud, then plugging it into the technic brick 1 x 1 with hole is fairly robust.

I just added an extra pin to Krispy's 4L bars to connect to the technic bricks, like this:

9TnFL2P.jpg

It is very sturdy as long as the pins are pushed as far as they can go into the engines.

I've tried both methods. LDD rejects the stud method (and IRL it is slightly less sturdy) so I've gone with TheBear's suggestion. LXF is in the usual place.

I am also partial to putting trans-orange dishes on the ends of the engines but I recognise that not everyone likes this.

Trans-orange is a good choice for B-Wings.

LDD only lets me position the half-pin at the end of the the hard plastic wheel, which doesn't allow for the trans-orange dish. I see from Krispy's post and my own messing about with real bricks that LDD is wrong: IRL the half-pin is positioned further in.

This helps explain why, when I look at 1.1 and 1.0, the engines dissappear in a cloud of "incorrectly positioned bricks": I'm guessing that at some point in the last 14 months an LDD update broke the geometry of the wheel.

However, if Lego ever correct the geometry for that part, there might be more problems with 1.2.

It's a shame sand blue is in such short supply. An alternative colour scheme I pondered at one time is sand green which appear to be more prevalent on Bricklink. I was obviously lucky when I built the B-Wing years ago! Structurally I have never had any problems with stability. I am thinking through some ideas for an internal landing gear which I need to test out.

I did consider building a vignette of the 'Flurry' landing bay to hold my B-Wings.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081001132258/starwars/images/0/0a/Flurry_egvv.jpg

An alternative colour scheme I pondered at one time is sand green which appear to be more prevalent on Bricklink.

Now there is an idea...

The biggest problem for me was the 4x4 wedge slopes which only come in four colours: brown, black, light blueish grey (2 in the UK at time of writing, 12 total anywhere, no seller has more than 2) and dark red (7 lots in UK with four or more: one seller has 28.)

Plus, your dark red version looked soooo good :laugh: .

I am thinking through some ideas for an internal landing gear which I need to test out.

I'd be very interested to see what you do.

If it helps, I left a (roughly) 2x6 stud gap in my LXF, down by the gun pod.

Now there is an idea...

The biggest problem for me was the 4x4 wedge slopes which only come in four colours: brown, black, light blueish grey (2 in the UK at time of writing, 12 total anywhere, no seller has more than 2) and dark red (7 lots in UK with four or more: one seller has 28.)

Plus, your dark red version looked soooo good :laugh: .

I'd be very interested to see what you do.

If it helps, I left a (roughly) 2x6 stud gap in my LXF, down by the gun pod.

Yeah, the light bluish gray 4x4 wedge slopes are pretty rare having only been available in the 2007 mini-scale AT-ST annoyingly :sceptic: . Thinking back I believe I did have to order a number of pieces outside of the UK. Unfortunately you don't get wedge plate, 8 x 4 wings in sand green. If anybody tries different colour options (orange, yellow, chrome) please post a pic :classic:

There's always dark bluish grey like the UCS version uses, but I don't think it looks anywhere near as nice as sand blue and the 4x4 wedge slopes would still be required in light bluish grey.

These all look awesome! I'm slowly starting to count the pieces to do a grey, dark grey, brown version of this. Sort of a Steampunk colortheme. (although I would prefer to do a grey/dark red or grey/dark green version - or grey/dark blue :)

I'm slowly starting to count the pieces to do a grey, dark grey, brown version of this.

Sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing that.

This image has some pretty nice colour schemes. I think the B-Wing looks cool no matter what colours you use.

I finally pieced this thing together about a week ago - what a fun little anoying build :) And now I have gotten around to take a couple of quick pictures of it.

This is my version 1.0 (made from v 1.0 of the LXF). Over the easter holidays I will try to change the colorscheme to include more reddish brown. Right now it is more or less strictly light and dark grey - it was the only way I could make sure I build something from the start that looked the part.

I even build a nice little stand for it :)

Curtisy of my four-year-old the pilot is an orange clone trooper.

13462132444_4f22e95cdf_c.jpg

13462132624_898252bc55_c.jpg

It's not the sturdiest build, but sturdier than the UCS version (I had a change to build that at one point, but don't own it)

Nice build, the stand is awesome. Check out ScottishDave's 1.2 version for improved sturdiness and the opening cockpit which I'm sure your 4 year old will appreciate.

Interestingly Lego have started producing new parts in sand blue again. For example the 2x4 Tile and cheese slope. Hopefully this will soon make the sand blue version easier to source or give us some new options for improving the design.

Nice build, the stand is awesome. Check out ScottishDave's 1.2 version for improved sturdiness and the opening cockpit which I'm sure your 4 year old will appreciate.

Interestingly Lego have started producing new parts in sand blue again. For example the 2x4 Tile and cheese slope. Hopefully this will soon make the sand blue version easier to source or give us some new options for improving the design.

Oh I'm all for improving to ScottishDave's 1.2 version, I just accidently dived head first into v 1.0 :)

Oh I'm all for improving to ScottishDave's 1.2 version, I just accidently dived head first into v 1.0 :)

Glad to hear it :grin: . I wouldn't mind some feedback if you do use the 1.2 file!

Your build looks great. Black and dark grey work well together!

I see that the 4x4 wedge slope is causing you problems. Have you considered using black? I think it would go well with your colour scheme.

Does anyone mind telling me how much they paid for this model? One bricklink order for me is $600...

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Does anyone mind telling me how much they paid for this model? One bricklink order for me is $600...

I'm not sure how much it cost me in total but it wasn't anywhere near that. It should be no more than about $150.

To be honest I cannot remember the exact cost but I did build the original model over several months with various versions until I got it just right. But it certainly did not cost as much as that to build two B-Wings. But I suspect some parts have become rarer and more expensive since then.

Does anyone mind telling me how much they paid for this model?

I spent almost exactly $100. However, I built about half the model from existing bricks - mostly the technic frame and internals - then started buying when I needed particular bricks to finish the model.

Also, I built it in dark red which helped a lot. Sand blue is expensive, at least in the UK.

May I ask, which bricks are causing the expense for you?

Edited by ScottishDave

I spent almost exactly $100. However, I built about half the model from existing bricks - mostly the technic frame and internals - then started buying when I needed particular bricks to finish the model.

Also, I built it in dark red which helped a lot. Sand blue is expensive, at least in the UK.

Sand Blue has become extremely rare and expensive in the UK over the past few years unfortunately. I was lucky when I first collected the necessary components. Also just picked up some Sand Blue 2 x 4 tiles for a reasonable price, so sometimes it just takes patience and a bit of luck.

Sand Blue has become extremely rare and expensive in the UK over the past few years unfortunately. I was lucky when I first collected the necessary components. Also just picked up some Sand Blue 2 x 4 tiles for a reasonable price, so sometimes it just takes patience and a bit of luck.

Yes, but they have recently started producing new parts in sand blue, so hopefully the ones needed for this set will become easier to obtain in the future. Those 2x4 tiles are brand new in sand blue, only released in the new Maersk Line Triple-E.

I'm not sure... I'm going to try to amass some parts from my collection and bring down the eventual price. I should have it done sometime in June, and I will be sure to post pics when I do finish.

I'm not sure... I'm going to try to amass some parts from my collection and bring down the eventual price. I should have it done sometime in June, and I will be sure to post pics when I do finish.

Looking forward to seeing your pics! :sweet:

Looking forward to seeing your pics! :sweet:

Im working on modding an imperial landing craft currently, then the b wing and a modded imperial shuttle. This should be a plentiful summer for me.

14627977363_05a78e2847_c.jpg

Been busy revising some areas of my design, thought I'd pop a few photos up. I've altered the back of the cockpit using curved 4 x 2 slopes and a combo of 2 x 2 inverted dish with round tile with hole. I've also made use of the better sized orange stickers from the 75050 and re-done the framework holding the cockpit using 4 x 1 curved slopes. Other than that just a couple of touch ups around the main wing plating and engine block. All I need to do now is finish off my dark red B-wing model.

14421331288_3b7007fe91_c.jpg