krispy

[MOC] Minifig-scale B-Wing (with instructions and LDD)

Hmm, it would depend if the cockpit connection could be reorganized (area at the bottom-right of this pic) or even thickened to 2 studs width for support. I normally pick up the model for swooshing where the main wing joins the engines/s-foils. Maybe Krispy has a different approach to the connection that might allow the beams to be continued past the cockpit, otherwise you'd be relying on plates to hold it together.

8355607471_4117da761f_z.jpg

Thanks! Hmm... after pricing I might have to go with the 2006 B-wing model, and try a proof of concept and then try and swing significant other approval for several hundred dollars worth of lego. This version is better than the UCS one in my opinion.

Edited by TigerWolfe

Thanks! Hmm... after pricing I might have to go with the 2006 B-wing model, and try a proof of concept and then try and swing significant other approval for several hundred dollars worth of lego. This version is better than the UCS one in my opinion.

I think this is doable, though it will require a bit of engineering. In my version the axle with the cockpit connection does extend into the body a bit, making the connection a bit sturdier.

I've got ideas going through my head on how to do this. Let me whip up LDD when I get home.

I'm assuming the angle between both B-Wing bodies is 90 degrees?

I need to read wikis before posting.... I still think it can be done, but the "bridge" part between the two bodies will need serious reinforcements. Luckily the lore gives a little room to work with, though I still have my doubts about it being swooshable.

Edited by krispy

Im quite interested to see the result of your ideas. That looks interesting to attempt, with what is a brilliant design in the first place! Do keep us updated!

one day I wIll build myself one of these!

Simply just awesome, thank you for posting this.

Never used an LDD before, installed it opened your file and smiled the whole way trough the build.

Thanks again!

Okies.. so there's this then:

8979337813_abdd1f60c3_c.jpg

Deathraven 1.0 by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

It looks really similar to two B-Wings slammed together (which is kind of the idea I suppose). The internal stucture has been modified quite a bit though. I hope it's sturdy enough but I wouldn't bet on it. Here's a close up of what I mean:

8975486125_e6fe0c62a9_c.jpg

Deathraven 1.0 - Skeleton by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

As you can see, the biggest change is that there are now two 10 stud long axles on each side of the cockpit mounting hole that go deep into the upper part of the wing section. There are some smaller changes to allow the internal skeleton to extend more into that same upper section. It also allows me to use 1x12 plates liberally in the skeleton so the connections are sturdy enough to hold the axles and the cockpit.

That's the theory anyway.

I've done away with the big technics gear in the cockpit section, so now the "bridge" between the two wings is two studs wide instead of one. That should help too.

You can grab the model here! If anyone attempt to build this .. good luck, it's 1800 parts. Also, take pictures! :classic:

EDIT: if anyone has any idea about the color scheme for this thing... The wiki page didn't really specify, so I just ran with the default coloring.

Edited by krispy

Okies.. so there's this then:

[snip]

It looks really similar to two B-Wings slammed together (which is kind of the idea I suppose). The internal stucture has been modified quite a bit though. I hope it's sturdy enough but I wouldn't bet on it. Here's a close up of what I mean:

[snip]

As you can see, the biggest change is that there are now two 10 stud long axles on each side of the cockpit mounting hole that go deep into the upper part of the wing section. There are some smaller changes to allow the internal skeleton to extend more into that same upper section. It also allows me to use 1x12 plates liberally in the skeleton so the connections are sturdy enough to hold the axles and the cockpit.

That's the theory anyway.

I've done away with the big technics gear in the cockpit section, so now the "bridge" between the two wings is two studs wide instead of one. That should help too.

You can grab the model here! If anyone attempt to build this .. good luck, it's 1800 parts. Also, take pictures! :classic:

EDIT: if anyone has any idea about the color scheme for this thing... The wiki page didn't really specify, so I just ran with the default coloring.

You're amazing... It looks like the cockpit should still be able to theoretically rotate, as well. Is that the case? Although, I'm honestly not certain if the wings still revolve around the cockpit, on Death Raven. I've ordered two packages of the 6208 B-wing from Lego, and shall be trying to do the same with that. But now I need to save up money/spousal approval, because the above looks soooooo much better than anything that's been officially released.

^ an H-Wing perhaps?

It's called Death Raven, it's an ugly built by a bounty hunter. I've always liked B-wings, because of their capabilities, but disliked the asymmetry of the design, when I saw this bad boy in one of the Star Wars RPG books years ago, I've wanted to build it ever since. Also for it's size it's armed to the teeth, with impressive speed and handling (if one accepts the canon).

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images from recent posts.

You're amazing... It looks like the cockpit should still be able to theoretically rotate, as well. Is that the case? Although, I'm honestly not certain if the wings still revolve around the cockpit, on Death Raven. I've ordered two packages of the 6208 B-wing from Lego, and shall be trying to do the same with that. But now I need to save up money/spousal approval, because the above looks soooooo much better than anything that's been officially released.

It's called Death Raven, it's an ugly built by a bounty hunter. I've always liked B-wings, because of their capabilities, but disliked the asymmetry of the design, when I saw this bad boy in one of the Star Wars RPG books years ago, I've wanted to build it ever since. Also for it's size it's armed to the teeth, with impressive speed and handling (if one accepts the canon).

Thanks! :classic:

Yes, the cockpit should be able to rotate; probably even easier than the original B-Wing (something to do with that big technics gear on the back of the cockpit wheel).

So I created Death Raven using 2 sets of #6208, I don't know if this would be the place to post it but if anyone's interested I'll put it up (in the right spot, if this isn't it). Using the 2 stock kits to build it, the "blades" are too flimsy for it to be swooshable, but I think it looks pretty good.

So I created Death Raven using 2 sets of #6208, I don't know if this would be the place to post it but if anyone's interested I'll put it up (in the right spot, if this isn't it). Using the 2 stock kits to build it, the "blades" are too flimsy for it to be swooshable, but I think it looks pretty good.

Welcome to EB! I'm sure many members would be interested in seeing your mod. We use separate topics for each Mod/MOC, so you should create a new topic to post that in and give it a title such as "[Mod] Death Raven (two 6208 sets)". :classic:

The B-wing is one of my favorite Star Wars crafts and I've gotten back into Lego Star Wars in a huge way in recent months, so I definitely had to build this when I saw it, looks incredible! Ordered the parts from Bricklink that I needed (goodbye money), I'll let you know how it goes soon!

The B-wing is one of my favorite Star Wars crafts and I've gotten back into Lego Star Wars in a huge way in recent months, so I definitely had to build this when I saw it, looks incredible! Ordered the parts from Bricklink that I needed (goodbye money), I'll let you know how it goes soon!

Awesome! The whole goodbye-money thing is a mandatory part of the experience: now you know how the rebel alliance feels when they buy starfighters :wink:

Anyhoo, curious to see how your build will turn out.

I've also been slowly collecting the parts for this over the past few weeks. Those sand blue parts really are hard to find for someone in the UK! I would like to thank Regenade Clone + brother for the initial design and Krispy for all the hard work on making the instructions, it must have taken ages. This really is the best mini-figure scale b-wing out there and is worth all the effort.

Here is a bit of feedback for Krispy. I found that the engines were falling off a lot. I noticed that in Regenade Clone's pictures at www.flickr.com/photos/29748559@N02/sets/72157632459315840/with/8355603699/ he connects the engines to the engine covers. I tried this with mine and the engines are much more sturdy and are not falling off at all. Unfortunately it requires a bit of reworking of the interior as the engine covers need to be connected to the body differently but that also makes the engine covers more sturdy and easier to put on.

I'll post some pictures of mine once I get some more parts in the right colours.

Edited by TheBear

Unfortunately I've hit a couple snags with the parts. One seller missed a few parts that I ordered (with 800+ parts, it'll happen). The other thing is that the cockpit cover/windscreen didn't show up in the LDD Manager list or the original parts list so I'm now realizing I don't have it! Found it and will have to get it later.

EDIT: Also, there seems to be a half-pin on one of the gray lightsaber blade cannons at the fore of the cockpit but not on the other. Not a huge deal, just noticed it.

Edited by olo567

Hi guys, here is my build 95% complete:

9303380694_9e47f9d213_c.jpg

I built to Krispy's specification and then as I mentioned above I modified the engine block to Renegade Clone's design so that I could attach the engines to the covers to make them more sturdy. I doubt I'll ever get 7 6x1 curved slopes in sand blue so I have had to settle for dark bluish grey on the back of the cockpit. The whole thing would be much easier to source in dark bluish grey (like the UCS model), but it does look better in sand blue. Thanks again for all your hard work to help us build this.

Awesome! Glad to see that the instructions/model help. I'll take another look at the engine mounts when I have some more time (haven't build in a while); I'll update the model accordingly. :classic:

The minifigs are ok?

But other than that, I think that the 6208 set is a coarse approximation of a B-Wing at best. I do not like how they've shaped the majority of components (such as the s-foils and the cockpit). I get why it is the way it is, TLG has to consider a limit on no. pieces, playability and sturdiness, but I suppose it just doesn't do it for me.

I have that set, and it's much better than you would think. When I got it I didn't have to much expectation and got it for the parts originally, but decided to build it first, IMO it's the best set there is, WAY more fun to play with than any other LEGO set, and looks great on display.

Congratulations on completing your build. I'm sad to say that it looks better with the Jedi Starfighter windscreen than the UCS B-wing one due to the position of the windows.

I've been meaning to post some more feedback on this model for a while and now that the topic has been bumped it seems like a good time. First of all I must say that Krispy did an amazing job on the instructions considering he didn't have the photos of Renegade Clone's internals. However there are a few stability issues with Krispy's version that the original doesn't have. The biggest problem is with the two smaller wings. These would fall off practically every time I picked it up or put it down. The original doesn't have this problem because the bits where the wings are connected to the main body are built firmly into the structure. It is not possible to just change it to match the Renegade Clone version exactly because the internals are different but I have made something that gives the same result.

WegcBW0.jpg

t6aBXrA.jpg

IjSsAeQ.jpg

With these changes the wings are absolutely rock solid and no longer fall off at all.

The second issue is something I already mentioned to do with the stability of the engines and the covers on the engine block. I modified my engine covers to exactly match Renegade Clone's so that the engines are connected directly to the covers. This makes them very sturdy and they no longer fall off. Unfortunately this requires a big change to the engine block itself as the covers are mounted differently, but this also makes the covers more sturdy and easier to connect. I made my engine block internally more like Renegade Clone's but I did it slightly differently so that I had 4 studs at the front to connect the cooling intakes. This makes them a bit stronger and less likely to fall off.

r5zb1et.jpg

QR8gbxq.jpg

Krispy, I hope you consider these changes if you update your instructions and thank you once again for all your hard work.

Thank you for posting this, TheBear. As it happens I was in the middle of sorting through my Lego looking for parts for a Krispy B-Wing this evening.

I'll test out your mods as I go along :laugh: .

I've been meaning to post some more feedback on this model for a while and now that the topic has been bumped it seems like a good time. First of all I must say that Krispy did an amazing job on the instructions considering he didn't have the photos of Renegade Clone's internals. However there are a few stability issues with Krispy's version that the original doesn't have. The biggest problem is with the two smaller wings. These would fall off practically every time I picked it up or put it down. The original doesn't have this problem because the bits where the wings are connected to the main body are built firmly into the structure. It is not possible to just change it to match the Renegade Clone version exactly because the internals are different but I have made something that gives the same result.

WegcBW0.jpg

t6aBXrA.jpg

IjSsAeQ.jpg

With these changes the wings are absolutely rock solid and no longer fall off at all.

The second issue is something I already mentioned to do with the stability of the engines and the covers on the engine block. I modified my engine covers to exactly match Renegade Clone's so that the engines are connected directly to the covers. This makes them very sturdy and they no longer fall off. Unfortunately this requires a big change to the engine block itself as the covers are mounted differently, but this also makes the covers more sturdy and easier to connect. I made my engine block internally more like Renegade Clone's but I did it slightly differently so that I had 4 studs at the front to connect the cooling intakes. This makes them a bit stronger and less likely to fall off.

r5zb1et.jpg

QR8gbxq.jpg

Krispy, I hope you consider these changes if you update your instructions and thank you once again for all your hard work.

Great! This is precisely the feedback I was hoping for. I haven't been the most active builder recently (something to do with finishing up my master's thesis while having a regular job), but now that I have some more time, I'll update the model using your feedback. Thanks for sharing!