krispy

[MOC] Minifig-scale B-Wing (with instructions and LDD)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Before you read any further: I want to give massive credits to RenegadeClone (or his brother.. or both.. it's confusing) for coming up with this great MOC and leaving enough instructions for me to reconstruct the model. My version is 90-95% the same and I can only take credit for making the model and some small differences in detail (I'll get to those later). RenegadeClone's done a great job.

You can find the original topic here.

Having said that, things are easier to build when you have an LDD file.

A small introduction

I'm Krispy. I've been lurking here for a while, taking in ideas and techniques. Now that I've started building again, I figured it's good to share. I'm a big fan of Star Wars universe starfighters, but only the classic trilogy and the stuff after that. I love space sims and "Tie-Fighter" in particular; I've wasted half my childhood on that game :blush: .

And now I've decided to collect Lego version of the starfighters from that universe. In minifig-scale.

I was a little bummed out that TLG doesn't have a proper B-Wing set. Bummed out until I found RenegadeClone's MOC.

The Model

8393660151_a92a6782de.jpg

B-Wing v1.1 by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

There she is, rendered using LDD2PovRay. Total part count: 951. Ouch.

There are small differences with the RenegadeClone's original; most concern the cockpit:

• The cockpit is all light bley; this meant using some different parts
  • The rear cockpit section (with the curved slopes) is completely different in internal construction. The slopes are now attached using 3 stubs making the use of rubber bands unnecessary (I dislike rubber bands).
  • The pilot now has a seat (in dark green!). Flying a B-Wing is tough enough without the physical discomfort.... or so they say.
  • The internal structure of the main wing and the engines is different. I only knew the outside dimensions, so I had to reconstruct them on my own. Internally this B-Wing is probably rather different.

Below you will find all the files you need to source the parts and make the model. The LDD model is made using LDD 4.3.5. The partslist spreadsheets was made using LDD Manager, but I've added some extra columns to keep track of the parts that you have ("Have" column) so you can see which bricks you still need.

For those of you who don't do LDD, I've exported the instruction to html and put them in a zip; they should work on any browser.

The Files

If you want to figure it all out yourself, stop reading and start building. Below I've posted some notes on sourcing the parts and building the model that you may find useful though.

Sourcing the parts

Please note that there are a small number of rare-ish parts used in the model, so check if you have these or are able to order them before you start your Bricklink frenzy:

Also note that if you need to source almost all parts (like me; my lego is older, so I only have classic grey), this beast will set you back considerably. It has almost 1000 parts. By my estimation I've spend somewhere between €100 and €120 on parts (about $125 to $140). It's not cheap.

If you use LDD Manager to check if you can do other colours instead of sand blue, you will only find a small number of basic colours. This is due to this brick. If you want to know what your real options are, paint this brick black in the model.

If you are having trouble sourcing sand blue parts (I'm looking at you fellow europeans), dark bley offers a good alternative though your model will look more like the UCS B-Wing that way.

Building considerations

It's possible to build this model using the LDD generated instructions. I've done so, proving they actually work, but they are a bit weird and unlogical. The LDD model has been grouped in to logical groups, so you might want to check those. As reference, I've rendered a picture showing these elements.

8367960596_c3e1b43d39_z.jpg

Minifig-scale B-Wing v1.0 in parts by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Below I will note some things you want to look out for.

8368840368_68ea199faa.jpg

Engine covers by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Build these engine covers seperate and add them to the model later (after step 180 or something).

8368840156_51acdcbd6c.jpg

Engine (build this first) by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

That means you want to build this engine part first.

8368839860_8d2ffba0f1.jpg

Exhaust close-up by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Note that the technics half pins do not go in all the way. That's not a bad thing though: you now have the option to add a 2x2 dish giving your exhaust the same look as the offical TLG sets (eg. the 9493 X-Wing).

8367771511_112769fd06.jpg

Technics tubing not in instructions by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Note that this piece of pneumatic tubing is not on the LDD model. The holders are though; look at the completed model (all the way below) to see where it slots between the two torpedo launchers.

8368839372_81638be02f.jpg

Fix for curved plate problem by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

I had a problem with the narrow 1 stud wide cover plate for the rear of the main wing: it curved outwards (to the left in this picture) because a 1x12 plate I used wasn't straight!! Using this modification at the bottom of the assembly, I was able to hold it in place.

8367770383_cc53c8fcdb.jpg

Cockpit axle mount thingy in place by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Notice that I used old school connectors with studs on the side. This means the model is a bit sturdier on top (also I have, like, tons of these parts).

8368837950_91a28a415a.jpg

Cockpit section by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Cockpit with seat. Notice that the headrest has two 1x1 dark bley plates instead of one in the LDD model. This depends on what helmet your minifig pilot is wearing.

8367769311_a73130fc67_z.jpg

Build complete! by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Build complete! :classic:

It's big, it's heavy. If anyone has suggestions on a stand that works for this beast, I'm all ears.

I hope you've enjoyed this little write-up. Good luck and happy building if you're going to attempt one... trust me, they are worth the effort: the build was definitely one of the most challenging I've done so far!

update 13-01-2013: A stand

I've updated the files section with a LDD model of the stand I came up with (see picture below). It's bulky, but sturdy and allows you to show off the model with open s-foils!

8375270089_a9e44d1440.jpg

Stand - front by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

update 19-01-2013: version 1.1

I've updated the model to 1.1. Grab the new model file from the files section above! What is different you may ask? Well, there's somewhat less studs on the outside of the model.

Oh... and the lower part of the internal skeleton has been redone completely. It definitely feels more rigid now. Check out the differences below! Even if you don't want to update your model with loads of tiles, I would recommend redoing the skeleton.

8394993783_ea42b955ff.jpg

B-Wing v1.1 Skeleton update by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Edited by krispy

Wow Krispy! Fantastic job deciphering our model from those tiny old Brickshelf pics (my older brother did the bulk of build, I cracked the internal skeleton and built the primary wing and weapons pod).

When I finally got hold of the Mustafar version of the Jedi starfighter, I started converting the cockpit to light grey, it makes a huge improvement - shame the official UCS B-wing bubble cockpit is translucent at the back, otherwise it would be the best available cockpit piece instead.

Nice solution to the rear of the cockpit btw, never liked having to rely on rubber bands myself - will fish out the octagonal clip from my storage bins and have a go!

pic8.jpg

Also, if anyone struggles to get certain parts in sand blue/grey, you can always build a different squadron B-wing! Never realised it would be that expensive to build from scratch from Bricklink however :devil:

That makes me want to build one.... Sadly I'll have to finish the SSD before building a b-wing...

Great job for the LDD file, thank you :thumbup:

Wow Krispy! Fantastic job deciphering our model from those tiny old Brickshelf pics (my older brother did the bulk of build, I cracked the internal skeleton and built the primary wing and weapons pod).

Thanks :blush: It was an interesting puzzle though I feel the skeleton still needs work (if you hold my version by the weapons pod it does bend a bit).

When I finally got hold of the Mustafar version of the Jedi starfighter, I started converting the cockpit to light grey, it makes a huge improvement - shame the official UCS B-wing bubble cockpit is translucent at the back, otherwise it would be the best available cockpit piece instead.

This conversion is a little less straightforward; I believe you use this 4x4 wedge no studs on top upside down at the front. It doesn't come in light bley, which is why I used this wedge instead. This results in a cockpit with all studs on top. It looks a little bulkier, but it's also a little sturdier.

That makes me want to build one.... Sadly I'll have to finish the SSD before building a b-wing...

Great job for the LDD file, thank you :thumbup:

I know the feeling: so many cool models, so little bricks :classic: Edited by krispy

Great work, I really like how you made this B-wing :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for sharing your work :wink:

Thanks Wedge!

It now comes with a stand, which I have put in a seperate model file (see the first post for link). It is a bit bulky, but it is sturdy and allows you to show off the B-Wing with S-foils open :classic:

8375270089_a9e44d1440.jpg

Stand - front by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

Edited by krispy

Just want to comment and say a big thanks for all the instructions and LDD file. I wish more people did this for their MOCs. I lack the skill to be able to make these kind of things on my own, so it's always fantastic when I come across instructions for a model that's better than the standard mass market stuff TLG puts out.

Maybe you should try to build a stand like the one that comes with the UCS Bwing

Good point. I've just tried this (similar to the UCS anyway), but because of the slightly smaller scale, the engine part on top is too heavy compared to the weapons pod. Which means it will flip over and fall on its cockpit :sceptic:

Great looking MOC. Any idea on what it would cost me if I were to purchase all the bricks on bricklink?

Great looking MOC. Any idea on what it would cost me if I were to purchase all the bricks on bricklink?

Thank you!

Seeing as the part count is near to 1000: be prepared to spend somewhere between $120 and $140. I'm guessing that getting sand blue parts is a little easier in the US (most of my sand blue parts came from your neck of the woods), so that might help keep cost down. As I said in the opening post, not cheap, but well worth it IMHO. :classic:

Looks great, but I'll probably wait for TLG to release one because for one thing, they'd include a minifig, and, also, it'd be cheaper than pab.

What's wrong with 6208?

The minifigs are ok?

But other than that, I think that the 6208 set is a coarse approximation of a B-Wing at best. I do not like how they've shaped the majority of components (such as the s-foils and the cockpit). I get why it is the way it is, TLG has to consider a limit on no. pieces, playability and sturdiness, but I suppose it just doesn't do it for me.

Look great though! I like the blue's you've used; they are more pronounced than the sand blue.

Which version of the lxf did you use?

I used the 1.0 LXF, because I ordered the parts before 1.1 came out. I can see why it was re-enforced. I built the stand with leftovers, so that's why it doesn't match as well

(I should have ordered pieces for the stand with the bwing, but oh well)

It's really a nice size, I need to get the full size one now to put them side by side :) (and then the mini scale planet series one when it comes out).

I used the 1.0 LXF, because I ordered the parts before 1.1 came out. I can see why it was re-enforced. I built the stand with leftovers, so that's why it doesn't match as well

(I should have ordered pieces for the stand with the bwing, but oh well)

It's really a nice size, I need to get the full size one now to put them side by side :) (and then the mini scale planet series one when it comes out).

LOL, now there's a picture I'd like to see! :laugh:

As for the skeleton: if you have some spare technics bricks (I think I used 1x12) around and a couple of 1x4 plates in dark bley, you should be able to do the skeleton in v1.1 style without much problems. That's what I did: I can't order new plates as the Lego budget is still recovering from building this thing... :blush:

It's great seeing more people putting together my minifig-scale B-Wing design - with Krispy's excellent instructions!

Flash - Great looking model! Interesting using blue instead of sand blue - looks neat!

I have some improvements in mind to my original design which I need to test out. Also planning to extend my squadron with some new variations. Can't wait for the new B-wing pilot minifig!

Additionally putting together something to keep all my starfighters together which is using an awful lot of bricks... :wink:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=418696

Question, the main body connection to the cockpit, would it be possible to mirror the main body, so as to have two main bodies attached to one cockpit? I want to build Deathraven which is one of my favorite ships in the entire Star Wars Universe.

Good B-Wing. Better than the official stuff which kind of sucks (B-Wing is the worst represented ship IMO outside of the UCS).

I really hope we get a normal minifigure scale B-Wing. I don't have most of the parts to build this.

Question, the main body connection to the cockpit, would it be possible to mirror the main body, so as to have two main bodies attached to one cockpit? I want to build Deathraven which is one of my favorite ships in the entire Star Wars Universe.

Hmm, it would depend if the cockpit connection could be reorganized (area at the bottom-right of this pic) or even thickened to 2 studs width for support. I normally pick up the model for swooshing where the main wing joins the engines/s-foils. Maybe Krispy has a different approach to the connection that might allow the beams to be continued past the cockpit, otherwise you'd be relying on plates to hold it together.

8355607471_4117da761f_z.jpg

Edited by Renegade Clone