mpaisana

Issues with window on set 79003 An Unexpected Gathering, help?

To the previous few posts- if you check out the photos in the other forum you will see its not just the missing bar in the arch that is causing the issue. The correct arch piece has a completly differant curve to it, a small bit of wiggling is not what the original poster is talking about the wrong arch has been included in some of the sets and that means the window part really does not fit correctly.

Hmmmm- some nasty posts there, pretty uncalled for really.

Bit more info in this bricklink thread with better pics of the problem

http://www.bricklink.com/messageThread.asp?ID=145005&nID=690061

Edited by smokebelch

I don't know, I still don't see what all the fuss is. I did notice that the arch pieces that came in the set are thinner under the 6 studs than the replacement ones. I still don't think shaking is a viable reason to call TLG for a free replacement. It just doesn't seem like a valid enough reason, it's not people are picking up the set when they look at it and shake it. Sure, there is movement when you pock it up to put it on a different shelf or something, but that still can't be that big of a nuisance.

I don't know, I still don't see what all the fuss is. I did notice that the arch pieces that came in the set are thinner under the 6 studs than the replacement ones. I still don't think shaking is a viable reason to call TLG for a free replacement. It just doesn't seem like a valid enough reason, it's not people are picking up the set when they look at it and shake it. Sure, there is movement when you pock it up to put it on a different shelf or something, but that still can't be that big of a nuisance.

The "fuss" is paying premium top prices for sets whose material output doesn't even match the instruction manual. I remind you that this is a flagship set, highly anticipated, presented at a world toy fair. I've encountered a flaw, and it is my right to report it to the lego group, and, if possible, realize if other users are experiencing the same thing. I can't see what's wrong about it.

I'm wondering why you guys are all shaking your set? Do you really have to shake it? This topic just goes to show your all a bunch of losers just trying to shake free parts out from TLG and don't know anything about building. This is really pathetic. Shame on all of you.

This discussion is being made on the proper place, within the terms of this forum. Please don't troll, or at least use logic arguments.

I'm wondering why you guys are all shaking your set? Do you really have to shake it? This topic just goes to show your all a bunch of losers just trying to shake free parts out from TLG and don't know anything about building. This is really pathetic. Shame on all of you.

Please do not reply like this ever again if you want to stay on this site. If people want to discuss an issue they've found with a set, that's part of what EB is for. Making fun of them for doing so is completely uncalled for.

There are certainly two different arches in the Lego realm, ones with really thin "rails" on the undersides, and one with much thicker ones. It also makes connecting 1 x 1 bricks on the underside of the arches impossible on the thin rail.

I believe I got the thicker ones in my bag end, but I think it still wiggled a little tiny bit. Still, I am not even sure the two pieces have different numbers or are recognized as different parts.

I got the loose fitting window in my set. It fits no where near what its supposed to look like on the box. I actually had to recheck the instructions while building it.. I thought I had missed a part.

I'm not bothered to ask for replacement parts as I'm likely to take the hobbits hole apart pretty soon. I need the spare parts.

I don't have the set yet, so I can't say if have the problem or not.

I really understand this is not a nice discovery, but I am not sure if it is the best thing to contact TLG for this. Like some people suggested, you can help it by using some paper or so in the arches to keep the window in place.

I know people pay a lot for the set, but I don't think that you pay the 70$ just for this window? If TLG wanted to make sure there would be no problems with this risky technic, they had made the whole window thing in one piece. That way they were sure no one would complain.

That being said, I have to admit that the quality of Lego is slighlty declining the last years and the variety between the same pieces (same colour & shape) is becoming a bit too clear (different shades, different types of arches, ...).

Thanks to mpaisan for pointing this out and warning future buyers, but I am still pretty sure that I will buy this set and find a way to solve the small wiggling thing :classic:

Edited by DaMaximus

I really understand this is not a nice discovery, but I am not sure if it is the best thing to contact TLG for this. Like some people suggested, you can help it by using some paper or so in the arches to keep the window in place.

Even with this issue, I still consider this one of the best sets in quite a while. Well designed, solid, with a wonderful structure. I haven't had time to look at the minifigures in detail but from what I've seen until now, they're also quite good. One of TLG most valuable assets it's the active community around their products, I do think users must evaluate and discuss the quality of the products. I totally agree with you DaMaximus!

Now that I have seen what both arches look like, i checked and I actually have the correct arches and still have s little wiggle so im thinking it must just be part of it. Like others have pointed out im sure mooned will ever shake my set and find out so im ok with it. If I had the wrong arches I would absolutely go to TLG and get the correct pieces though. Everyone makes mistakes but TLG wouldn't have their missing part service if it wasn't supposed to be used.

Now that I have seen what both arches look like, i checked and I actually have the correct arches and still have s little wiggle so im thinking it must just be part of it. Like others have pointed out im sure mooned will ever shake my set and find out so im ok with it. If I had the wrong arches I would absolutely go to TLG and get the correct pieces though. Everyone makes mistakes but TLG wouldn't have their missing part service if it wasn't supposed to be used.

I am quite sure the missing part service is not to change bricks but to get a missing brick :laugh:

I remember that not so long ago, TLG switched the swords in one of the CMF minifigure bags. Suddenly some people received the newest type of sword instead of the older one.

I don't think anyone of them has sent that new sword to TLG and asked for the old one...

A few members here have contacted TLG about this, so they know something went wrong there. There is no need for the whole EB community (a little exagerated, but you know what I mean) to send mails to TLG for this.

TLG still has to pay transport costs if they send one single brick to someone...

And also, don't get me wrong, but an arch like that costs maybe 10 cent. So if you are not happy with the one you received, you can change it with whatever you like. That's the beauty of LEGO.

There's nothing wrong with making this thread and talking about it, but contacting TLG for new arches isn't right, in my opinion. I'm looking at my 79003 right now. And even though mine shakes, the window looks just fine sitting on my shelf. I guess there really is no pleasing some AFOLs. Whoever designed this set decided to give us this new, cool window technique instead of a solid, one piece, BURP-esque, dare I say "<insert that tiresome argument>" window piece which people would undoubtedly complain about.

Edited by Legocrazy81

but contacting TLG for new arches isn't right, in my opinion.

Why not? They are wrong pieces, even if the difference in the actual pieces is quite small indeed. If the pictures Smokebelch linked above are truthful and not somehow faked it is quite obvious that Bjarke Lykke Madsen and other Lego designers who contributed for this set did not mean for it to use the old arches. With them the window doesn't work as it should. It looks bad. On the other hand with the right arches it looks awesome (even if it still rattles a little). In a way it could be said that it's actually quite respectful towards the designers to want the set as they intended and not to settle with the result of some unfortunate error somewhere in the production. Everyone is of course free to be happy with what they get, and it's perfectly alright too. I certainly didn't complain when I got one extra Uruk-Hai sword in my Helm's Deep, even if it is not as the designers intended. :tongue: Remains to be seen whether I feel the need to contact Lego if my Bag End (which I'll hopefully acquire some day) has the wrong arches. Depends on how bad it looks in person.

I remember that not so long ago, TLG switched the swords in one of the CMF minifigure bags. Suddenly some people received the newest type of sword instead of the older one. I don't think anyone of them has sent that new sword to TLG and asked for the old one...

That was the katana piece with differently shaped guard, I suppose? In that case, the change didn't change the functionality of the sword (well, there's probably an AFOL somewhere in the world who was mightily bugged by the change, because of some ingenious NPU that only worked with the old design). It's quite a different case.

Edited by Haltiamieli

That was the katana piece with differently shaped guard, I suppose? In that case, the change didn't change the functionality of the sword (well, there's probably an AFOL somewhere in the world who was mightily bugged by the change, because of some ingenious NPU that only worked with the old design). It's quite a different case.

I was talking about another one. Just a normal sword (I think one of the first swords TLG ever made). They got a new design for it now.

Anyway, about the catana: I had some also some trouble because not all the catana's would fit my golden katana holders (you know, those from recenter Ninjago figures). Especially the gold catana's have a problem fitting in.

I could have complained by TLG and sent around 50 catana's back, but I discovered that the black catana's don't have that problem, so I just changed them

heyina_deeh_5.jpg

It still doesn't fit perfectly, but hey, in my MOC's no one will ever notice!

Thanks to new molds (which probably mean a more efficient production process), the bricks slightly change over the years. We can't do nothing about it.

Even it is too bad for us that it is just this piece (the arch) who has a new make-over.

(don't forget that sets actually are designed at least a year before being produced)

Edited by DaMaximus

I was talking about another one. Just a normal sword (I think one of the first swords TLG ever made). They got a new design for it now.

Ah. That was actually in the Kingdoms Chess set, where some people got this new design instead of the old one which was printed on the front cover etc. The old shortsword has never appeared in the CMF series, though Series 9 Heroic Knight does indeed wield the new one.

Ah. That was actually in the Kingdoms Chess set, where some people got this new design instead of the old one which was printed on the front cover etc. The old shortsword has never appeared in the CMF series, though Series 9 Heroic Knight does indeed wield the new one.

Haha, indeed, now it's clear again what it exactly was about :laugh:

But I hope the people got the point :classic:

Earlier today on the Ambassador forum Bjarke Schonwandt post an official statement as to the issue and how LEGO have dealt with the issue. So please read this:

Dear All

This is one of the more rare mistakes we have made.

In the Unix-graphic system used by our part designers and mold makers it have turned out that we have two different pre defined shapes for the bow that can be used in an 1x6x2 arch element. One is the correct one having the right diameter and the other one is not :-(

As you all might have guessed was the wrong file used during a mold re-order. The mistake was discovered and all production stop. All produced boxes still in the LEGO distribution center was stopped and re-worked. Some boxes unfortunately was distributed to the retailers and therefore not in the hands of LEGO any more and hence have landed in the hands of consumers. The mold have been repaired and the wrong elements have been scraped.

I hope this answers your concern.

BR Bjarke

Same problem with mine

I had mine at Brickvention this year and Mark Stafford lego designer was there so Im waiting for his response to see if that is supposed to be like that or not

PS he's the one who killed Teal lego bricks :devil:

Never thought I would use tack-it with Lego's - did solve the issue pretty easily - it was soothing to find this thread and verify that the problem is real

Mine also had the stickers torn apart with movement, hopefully I will figure something out when the time for them comes, they should have secured it in an instruction plastic bag

No lego set ever disappointed me, this might be the first with 150$+ local price, It was one of the sets that I was saving for a good time

I'm not overly bothered about the wiggling and I won't bother bothering anyone about it anyway, any losses it may cause me were duly made up by the inclusion of an extra sticker sheet. It was slightly bent but I was very pleased, but felt slightly guilty at receiving an unintended extra..! Thank you Lego for your useful mistake.

I'm not overly bothered about the wiggling and I won't bother bothering anyone about it anyway, any losses it may cause me were duly made up by the inclusion of an extra sticker sheet. It was slightly bent but I was very pleased, but felt slightly guilty at receiving an unintended extra..! Thank you Lego for your useful mistake.

I've checked my box/instructions, wishing for an extra, none found :)

Send yours over to me if you are feeling too guilty :) - j.k.