mpaisana

Issues with window on set 79003 An Unexpected Gathering, help?

Hi everyone,

I finally got the 79003 set, it's amazing. One of the things I was most curious about was the brick built window technique everyone was talking about (the main window, where Bilbo's book is). And I got to that step of the build.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out that the window isn't a perfect fit between both arches. It moves a lot between them (a 3 or 4 mm gap between the opposite arch when it's pulled to one side). Even when it's placed in the house structure, the window actually moves from one side to another between the arches.

After looking at Captain BeerBeard's review, I realized that the arches in my set are different from his! The inside part of his arches has a small salience that, i presume, must hold the window in place, while mine are perfectly flat on the inside surface. I have no flickr account to post from, but I send a picture attached for you to see the salience I'm talking about.

Is anyone having an issue on this? Am I the only one? If I am, i'll feel dumb, I've been building lego since I was 4 or 5 years old -.-'

Thanks for your help, please try to look at the attached picture (it's the biggest I could upload...)

UPDATE: Apparently, user FredleDingue, from Hothbricks.com (in the comments) had the same problem with the Arkham Asylum set (10937), which has a window with the same design. It seems that Lego told him that they would only replace the parts at his expense. If You check Lego Digital Designer you'll see that the arch in question is available with the mentioned salience that fixes the window in place, not the one being provided in some of the 79003 boxes we've been getting. Still no reply from Lego on my inbox.

UPDATE 2: User Dar2k at the Brickpirate.net forum has posted images that picture this issue very well, follow this link to see the effect of the wrong mold of the arch (Hit the small grey button that says "Afficher" on Dar2k's post). No reply from lego to me today!

UPDATE 3: According to the link provided by Rich, owner of the awesome blog Brickfanatics.co.uk, some chinese guy had the same issue and received the parts for free from Lego. He posted pictures of everything on a chinese forum, check for yourselves. (google translate..) Why they would send some fans the parts for free, and charge other, beats me.

UPDATE 4 - REPLY FROM LEGO:

"We are very sorry to hear that your new LEGO ® set contained defective parts.

We do everything so that our products are of the highest possible quality and that they meet your expectations for the LEGO brand.

Please accept our apologies, because your last experience has not reflected that.

In the LEGO Company, we invest much time in planning and quality control. All our products are rigorously tested before being released.

After launch, we continue to test the production process and quality requirements in response to comments from our consumers. Therefore, I want to thank you for having informed us about the defective part of your LEGO. Myself, I passed this information to my colleagues in the quality department, which will ensure that this error does not happen again.

Could you please provide us the reference of defective parts and the manufacturer code (behind the box in the area of the barcode, not the "Item Number" but a source close to this) so we can send you a replacement parts?

Do not hesitate to contact the team at LEGO, mentioning your reference: ***********, If you have any further questions or comments, we are always at your disposal.

Yours faithfully,

LEGO Service

Note: This message was sent to me in portuguese and I used google translate to get it to english. Then, I corrected some imprecisions in the translation before posting it here.

post-30085-0-32683000-1357846606_thumb.png

Edited by mpaisana

Yes, this is the exact same issue I have with my window. Presumably there are two molds used to make this piece and it they are randomly distributed in the same fashion that minifig head stubs can vary from set to set (with the hole on top).

Same problem with me. I guess I'll ask for a replacement, as it is quite annoying.

I just wrote lego asking for a replacement part. Too bad, I was really excited about the damn window. but it is a really cool technique, with the right pieces, I guess. I'm really enjoying this set and in 20 years as a lego user, this is the first time I've ever had to ask for replacement parts!

I had no problem with my window or it wiggling. Are you guys sure you followed the instructions properly?

There's not many other ways to do it. :tongue:

I have this same problem, but I'm not bothered too much, it looks awesome anyway.

I had no problem with my window or it wiggling. Are you guys sure you followed the instructions properly?

The arch piece used is what's the problem, the one he has doesn't have a little piece of plastic that holds the window right. :wink:

I didn't even realize this till you brought it up. My window always wiggled a little, I just assumed that was normal. I didn't check to make sure, but I am almost positive I also got the piece without the mold inside to hold the window in place as it wiggles a fair amount. I will probably call Lego up to get this resolved eventually.

After reading this I realized my window is like this also but I am not sure which part on the arch im looking for to see whether I need a replacement.

I assumed some wiggle was normal. If there are alternate pieces, then I will have to contact TLG about it. Thanks for letting me know.

I assumed some wiggle was normal. If there are alternate pieces, then I will have to contact TLG about it. Thanks for letting me know.

I contacted TLG not using the replacement parts service because if there are two molds of the same arch, I don't want to risk receiving the same mold I got in the set. I sent them a query forwarding them to this thread. I'll post their answer here as soon as I get it. I've double-checked many reviews and instruction manuals and they all picture the window as being a perfect fit. This technique is new, and being a different approach to the building concept I guess that some wiggling is acceptable. However, in my case, it wiggles a lot!

Are you coming afterwork today?

This might be a mistake, but please make sure to leave personal conversations to the PM system. Thanks.

I'm thinking jhc2nmfn was just being impatient for an answer? :sceptic:

In any event, it will be interesting to see what kind of response is received, if any. I haven't built my set yet, but I'd kind of like to know how this turns out before I'm wrist-deep in Bag End parts.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what kind of response is received, if any. I haven't built my set yet, but I'd kind of like to know how this turns out before I'm wrist-deep in Bag End parts.

Look at the inside / interior part of the 6 stud arches in bag number 2. If they are flat, the window will slide between the arches, leading to the defective build. If you have the correct arches, with the salience, you're good to go. If you want, check Lego Digital Designer for the arch in question, it has the small salience / bar I'm talking about.

What would be really helpful is if people would post what kind of arch they received and what the lot number of their set was. (Printed on the tape that seals the boxes. One side only.)

I'm sorry, what?

Sorry that wasn't meant for the forum. Alot of times im sending multiple emails, texts, and responding on forums at the same time. Wont happen again but it had nothing to do with me being impatient and im unclear what you meant by it.

The arches I got with mine have that little divider and even with those the window still rattles around a bit. So don't think replacing the arches will mean the window stays absolutely still because it won't. I also found that once you built the little table with the book the window will stay put a bit better than it does initially.

The arches I got with mine have that little divider and even with those the window still rattles around a bit. So don't think replacing the arches will mean the window stays absolutely still because it won't. I also found that once you built the little table with the book the window will stay put a bit better than it does initially.

Yup.

This thread had me open mine up, just built the window, *rattle-rattle*. And, I have the little bar in the middle of my arches as well.

I'm wondering why you guys are all shaking your set? Do you really have to shake it? This topic just goes to show your all a bunch of losers just trying to shake free parts out from TLG and don't know anything about building. This is really pathetic. Shame on all of you.

That is putting it bluntly... It reminds me of people getting up in arms with 9466 Mad Scientist and His Monster and the light blue pieces were transparent when shining a flashlight in them... Just nitpicking a set in an unusual manner. I'll admit shaking your set is a but strange.