Dukesc

Xebec

What kind of fabric are the sails made from, Duke Schunke?

I am not sure what the fabric is called. :S I just went to Wal~Mart and found the thinest stuff that was stiff, and was the right color. It cost less than $4 for a square yard of it.

The rigging looks nice. I like it Duke!!

It looks like you glued the string to the sails though, is that so?

Yes, I did glue the string to the sails. *sweet* That is how my brother and I agreed I should do it, and the glue is remarkably strong. The edges of the sails are glued with Elmer's School Glue so they don't fray, but you can't tell.

One thing though... I really don't like the oars because they just look out of place against this magnificent ship.

Wow, this has become a unique ship. Very original design.

Haven't seen many (none?) Lego MOC ships that look like your ship.

The sails and rigging are just great (like the rest of the ship)!

I am not sure what the fabric is called. :S I just went to Wal~Mart and found the thinest stuff that was stiff, and was the right color. It cost less than $4 for a square yard of it.

The stuff I have been using lately is called 'basic' or 'outdoor' canvas. It is stiff, and a little harder to cut than some other stuff, but it is rigid and doesn't seem to fray at all!!

It is a little more expensive at about $7.00 USD (we are both midwestern Americans, but most here aren't) a square yard. It also dyes very easily. I got it in the US at Joanne's Fabric, highly recommended!

Yes, I did glue the string to the sails. *sweet* That is how my brother and I agreed I should do it, and the glue is remarkably strong. The edges of the sails are glued with Elmer's School Glue so they don't fray, but you can't tell.

Like I said canvas doesn't appear to fray as easily as other cloths. With the gluing of the rope to the sails, that I suppose will make them rather stationary, not a bad thing, but I wonder how much you can actually move them from side to side!?

Wow, the sails look great, but I suggest you should use the bigger oars, like those from the viking ship.

something weird...pirates + castle LOL

What's the castle part?

Wow, this has become a unique ship. Very original design.

Haven't seen many (none?) Lego MOC ships that look like your ship.

The sails and rigging are just great (like the rest of the ship)!

:) I

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I haven't come up with a name for it either, and am unsure if it is for me or my brother to name. What do you think?

Ahh excellent, Phred has mentioned his brother and his love of the royal navy several times!

Since this is a thread about YOUR ship, I won't share any pictures of my own version of a Xebec... err... Galley... err somewhere in between... but I will give you a link so you can see how I tried to do the sails and rigging!

Yes, I do very much like the Royal Navy especially the redcoats.

Thanks for the link to your ship. I enjoy seeing how other people construct their own ships, especially the same type as mine. You too have a nice vessel! *y*

One thing though... I really don't like the oars because they just look out of place against this magnificent ship.

Since this is a Xebec and it was designed around the oars they are going to stay. Thanks for the compliment though.

From the beginning I started with using the pieces my bro wasnt using and the same goes for the minifigs. I think they look cool on the ship though.

Wow, the sails look great, but I suggest you should use the bigger oars, like those from the viking ship.

My bro only has 6 of those oars and they are on his Viking ship. The real ships had narrow oar ends, so I think they are there to stay.

I've mentioned the Xebec in the Lateen Rigged Sails thread since its using those kind of sails.

Maybe Duke Schunke could head over there when he has some free time and give some advice to those who are interested in making them.

I wouldn't consider myself to have expertise enough to give advice on how to properly make the sails correct angles. I could only tell them what I have done if they want.

I wouldn't consider myself to have expertise enough to give advice on how to properly make the sails correct angles. I could only tell them what I have done if they want.

Yes, that would be very helpful as you'd definitely know more than the average MOCer about creating these sails.

Since this is a Xebec and it was designed around the oars they are going to stay. Thanks for the compliment though.

I believe not all xebecs had oars...

My bro only has 6 of those oars and they are on his Viking ship. The real ships had narrow oar ends, so I think they are there to stay.

Okay, but then I would use another colour, like brown.

Yeah,i was thinking of making them brown or something like duke said. will have to do something about that when i make my BL order for the larger oars.

What's the castle part?

I picked out the crew. I was going for the knights of malta feel from Age of Empires 3, since it is a mediteranian vessel.

I believe not all xebecs had oars...

Okay, but then I would use another colour, like brown.

Do you know where any pics are of them not having oars?

I have some here:

Wow Mr. Tiber,

that was a fast reply with pics!

The top two look like they have a bunch of small port holes for oars just below the gun deck maybe. Not sure though.

The top two look like they have a bunch of small port holes for oars just below the gun deck maybe. Not sure though.

Hmmm, maybe it's for decoration. On the second picture, it looks like the holes are to close to each other to have rowers in between... But maybe you are right!

Hmmm, maybe it's for decoration. On the second picture, it looks like the holes are to close to each other to have rowers in between... But maybe you are right!

I looked at that second picture when I was wokring on my Xebec. I have a feeling that what happened was there were oars on that second ship, but they removed the benches when they added the gun ports.

My uderstanding is that if a Xebec was used in the as a pirate vessel the oars were removed in favor of guns. That is why I think that my and Duke's Xebec are really combos of Galleys and Xebecs.

I think Mr. Tiber would agree with me on this because we had a similar conversation in my thread.

I conceeded that I did something a little different from a classic xebec, but the general look of the ship is what I was going for, not necessarily historically accurate.

I think Phred said he liked my versions, so I think mine was a partial inspiration for Duke's desicion to make the Xebec. I guess what I am saying is we had the same discussion in my thread, and if this one is at least partially inspired by mine, that is the reason they are both combo Xebec/galleys... or the Xeballey as I like to say!

Wow, i haven't seen thisone before..., i love it *wub*

The only thing i'd change is the grey ra's.... but it's a minor detail.

I'm plannig a Xebec myself and this is inspiring!!

Mr. Tiber, the telesell won't have oars *sweet*

Xebec's on!!

Wow, i haven't seen thisone before..., i love it *wub*

The only thing i'd change is the grey ra's.... but it's a minor detail.

I'm plannig a Xebec myself and this is inspiring!!

Mr. Tiber, the telesell won't have oars *sweet*

Xebec's on!!

Don't know what ra's are? 8-| X-D

Like ZCerberus said, it you'd like to make the true xebec with ores, the ore holes and gun ports ought to be on the same deck. ;-)

Unfortunately this ship no longer exists. :-$

It's the brown portion of the pile on the bottom left.

shipwrecked.png

P

Ouch, I take your brother gave you permission before doing so? X-D

Permission? A pirate never asks for permission!!

Plus the pieces were Phred's to begin with!