MattZitron

Lego Marvel Superheroes Game Announced

I like the game, although right now I feel like the gameplay is a step down from Lego Batman 2. Iron Man's flight controls are pretty bad and there seem to be much fewer minikits and golden bricks to collect than before. Maybe this will change once I am farther along in the game though. There are other minor things that bug me, but overall it's still a pretty good game.

Honestly, it's not fair to even try and argue about logic in a lego game.

Why not? Why can't we expect the same amount of logic from a Lego game as we can from any other Marvel/DC/whatever game? Because Lego is for kids and kids are stupid? Give me a break. Sure, kids wont mind such logic errors as much, but even kids who know anything about the source material for these games will know that, say, Hulk and Iron Man could easily jump/fly over a bus. It just seems lazy that they didn't make some of these scenarios a bit more believable.

I've never even heard a superman theme or seen the movie though so I wouldn't say DC has an iconic soundtrack because for it to be iconic, both fans and not fans should be able to recognize it. Harry Potter has an iconic soundtrack, not DC or marvel. To a fan, maybe it is. And marvel does have some music even if it's not iconic. The avengers theme still sticks with me even from the first time I saw it.

Well I was just voicing my opinion, but I'm not out of touch. I just don't like DC so I'm not going to waste my time watching their movies. But even though I haven't that doesn't make me out of date. I think that in order for something to be iconic a good majority of the general public should know what it is. The star wars theme is iconic, harry potter theme is iconic, spider man theme song is iconic, the "nananana batman" theme is iconic. I don't even like batman and I know that one. Superman has nothing. And yes, I'm basing this off my personal experiences just like an opinion should be.

You know, you are contradicting yourself here. First you say DC and Marvel don't have iconic music, but you go on to list themes from both Marvel and DC among iconic ones. And you are right, some themes are less recognizable to non-fans than they are to the fans, so saying that the Harry Potter theme is iconic, but themes from Marve/DC are not, just because you are really into HP and not so much DC/Marvel is pretty hypocritical since people who have been avoiding HP as much as you have been avoiding DC likely wont recognize the HP soundtrack either. The 60's Batman and Spider-Man themes are only so well-known by everyone because they have been parodied to death and have catchy lyrics. The Superman theme, however, has often been counted among the most iconic themes of all time, hence its use in Lego Batman 2, so no matter what your opinion of something is, it wont make it any less iconic.

That said, I do agree that none of the modern DC/Marvel soundtracks are very iconic, at least not as much as the old Batman and Superman themes, so I don't mind them not being in the game. Quite frankly, it got annoying after a while to hear the Superman theme every time you took off, so I'm kinda glad to have more generic music in this game.

The Avengers theme (Alan Silvestri) I think is really good and the best score of modern Marvel films, is it played in the game?

Why not? Why can't we expect the same amount of logic from a Lego game as we can from any other Marvel/DC/whatever game? Because Lego is for kids and kids are stupid? Give me a break. Sure, kids wont mind such logic errors as much, but even kids who know anything about the source material for these games will know that, say, Hulk and Iron Man could easily jump/fly over a bus. It just seems lazy that they didn't make some of these scenarios a bit more believable.

You know, you are contradicting yourself here. First you say DC and Marvel don't have iconic music, but you go on to list themes from both Marvel and DC among iconic ones. And you are right, some themes are less recognizable to non-fans than they are to the fans, so saying that the Harry Potter theme is iconic, but themes from Marve/DC are not, just because you are really into HP and not so much DC/Marvel is pretty hypocritical since people who have been avoiding HP as much as you have been avoiding DC likely wont recognize the HP soundtrack either. The 60's Batman and Spider-Man themes are only so well-known by everyone because they have been parodied to death and have catchy lyrics. The Superman theme, however, has often been counted among the most iconic themes of all time, hence its use in Lego Batman 2, so no matter what your opinion of something is, it wont make it any less iconic.

That said, I do agree that none of the modern DC/Marvel soundtracks are very iconic, at least not as much as the old Batman and Superman themes, so I don't mind them not being in the game. Quite frankly, it got annoying after a while to hear the Superman theme every time you took off, so I'm kinda glad to have more generic music in this game.

Well for the logic part I don't think any of the lego games include much logic. And if Hulk could just smash through anything he wanted, the game would not be fun and challenging. If iron man and hulk could just fly/smash through anything they wanted, the game would not be fun. Am I wrong? That part didn't really bother me because I understood this is a game for kids because that is ultimately who legos are for. I'm not saying kids are stupid but they probably aren't going to be that picky. And you're right, I am contradicting myself. But those spiderman and batman theme probably aren't in the games correct? Plus they aren't really songs I suppose. And I am a HP fan, but I would say that "Hedwig's Theme" is quite recognizable and most people would know it's from HP when they heard it. Maybe Superman's is too but no one I know even knew he had one. And I never avoided DC until I saw "The Dark Knight Rises" and it was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen in my entire life. It didn't draw me into the DC universe. The Avengers did and that's why I'm a marvel fan. Sure TDKR was the 3rd movie and I hadn't seen the others but you could say the exact same for the avengers. Anyway, not the place to discuss that really but maybe marvel and DC do have iconic music and I just haven't heard it.

Played the demo this morning. Feeling slightly underwhelmed. Feels like every other LEGO game, but with Marvel skins. Please say the rest feels fresh!!

And not to drag this out and further, but I helped run a superhero themed summer camp this year. Nearly everyone from the die hard comic fans (like me) to those who'd never picked up a comic or seen a superhero film (like my girlfriend, don't worry, I'm educating her!) all knew the Superman theme. Maybe you wouldn't know just like that, but it's one you definitely know if you hear it.

Can't tell you, I am still in story mode. I only do like 1-2 missions of story mode every day except for Saturday and Sunday.

So am I but I've been going along and unlocking things between levels

Anyone unlock White Tiger yet?... If unlocked Nova, Power Man and Iron Fist but have no white tiger yet... anyone?

She isn't in the game, according to the full character list.

Playing PC, and encountering an issue on the Venom boss fight. After burning him and he comes to destroy the cannon, Venom disappears completely. Is this happening to anyone else?

Playing PC, and encountering an issue on the Venom boss fight. After burning him and he comes to destroy the cannon, Venom disappears completely. Is this happening to anyone else?

I had a similar bug. Basically, after he destroyed the cannon, instead of my player (Spidey) getting to safety, he just got trapped in the ground, thus meaning I couldn't complete the level and had to restart.

Lego games suck about bugs. I've had to restart missions several times in basically each one. It sucks 'cause the missions are pretty long... I wish they were half as long and twice as much. Nothing like running into the SAME bug on a mission, towards the end and having to restart it several times in a row.

I had a similar bug. Basically, after he destroyed the cannon, instead of my player (Spidey) getting to safety, he just got trapped in the ground, thus meaning I couldn't complete the level and had to restart.

Yeah I too encountered a bug. Spiderman got trapped in like a wall during the venom/green goblin level right near the security camera that you had to destroy as black widow. Of course the security camera kept focusing on spiderman struggling in the wall and I couldn't deactivate it so I had to restart...I was pissed

Edited by Luna Lovegood

I had a bug in the Asgard level on the XBox 360 version. After defeating everything I put the last hit on Loki and the screen just went black... :hmpf_bad:

I had a bug in the Asgard level on the XBox 360 version. After defeating everything I put the last hit on Loki and the screen just went black... :hmpf_bad:

I think your Xbox 360 got too hot and crashed, because that never happened to me.

I finally managed to beat the level by exploiting the above bug. I jumped out just before Venom destroyed the cannon, trapping me in the ground, where I could punch out Venom. If you're going to get stuck in the ground, it's best to do it as Black Widow, she isn't needed at all in the rest of the level.

Hello!

I have a quick question for the people who already own the game.

Is there a character creator in LMSH? And if so, how 'big' is it? Is there a lot of choice in every category (torso, hair, face, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any reply :sweet:

Regards,

Mitch

As you unlock characters, you will often unlock their body parts and abilities in the character creator, but it's not particularly consistent. For instance, getting Electra unlocks her natty headband, but not her daggers, while getting Gambit unlocks his powers and outfit. Despite having unlocked several characters with pistols, I've still not unlocked their weapons in the character creator.

It is, however, a step up from Batman 2's effort, which was crap.

Thanks for the intel, Bobsy.

I've noticed, since... LSW III, I think, that the creator isn't as extensive as it used to be.

In the earlier games you'd get every part from every character, as seen in LSW: The Complete Saga.

To be honest, I can't remember how it is in LHP1-4 and LEGO Batman, but I believe it was already far less in those games.

Which kinda saddens me. I always like creating different versions of characters.

For example, in LMSH I would like to create civilian-clothed versions of Cyclops and Wolverine and such.

Now, I assume that will still be possible (all I need is Cyke's head with visor and some civilian looking clothes) but would that be the limit then, or...?

Regards,

Mitch

Edited by CF WeaZZel

LSW: TCS definitely had one of - if not the - largest Character Creators ever. While it's true games like Indy 2 and TCW have had fairly small creators, I don't think we'll see one as extensive as TCS in a while. That said, Marvel does have a pretty good one, incorporating parts from a lot of the characters. They ever have a big-fig customizer, though it's really just recolouring previous big-figs you've unlocked.

Having finally beat the main plot (there are way too many game-breaking glitches on the PC) I can say that this is definitely one of my favorite LEGO games yet. The plot - especially towards the end - is actually fairly mature in tone, and yet the typical LEGO humor remains throughout. It's a winning combination, and I'd like to see more original story ideas used with this format. I kind of feel the New York hub has a very 'LEGO Island 2' vibe for some reason, and it's a lot of fun to run, fly, and swing through. I love the hub's battle sequences (by these I mean the Sentinels and Red Hulk, for example). I found them a lot of fun despite their simplicity, and I'd like to see them used more often. The team has definitely nailed down the specific characters, and playing each of them is a lot of fun in its own. A very great job!

Thanks for your input as well, The Legonator.

I think I'll be pretty satisfied with LMSH's character creator, by the sound of your statement :sweet:

And I'm also glad you like the game so much.

'cause I was starting to get a little afraid about the game in general, due to some negative reviews in this topic :sceptic:

Regards,

Mitch

Thanks for the intel, Bobsy.

I've noticed, since... LSW III, I think, that the creator isn't as extensive as it used to be.

In the earlier games you'd get every part from every character, as seen in LSW: The Complete Saga.

To be honest, I can't remember how it is in LHP1-4 and LEGO Batman, but I believe it was already far less in those games.

Which kinda saddens me. I always like creating different versions of characters.

For example, in LMSH I would like to create civilian-clothed versions of Cyclops and Wolverine and such.

Now, I assume that will still be possible (all I need is Cyke's head with visor and some civilian looking clothes) but would that be the limit then, or...?

Regards,

Mitch

Yes, you can absolutely do that. Wolverine's powers are selected by giving a character the claws (I think this also grants the healing ability too, but I've not tested it - it's pretty weak anyway) and Cyclops's powers are selected by giving the character the Cyclops face - so you can't have Cyclops powers from under sunglasses. But so long as you've got the claws or the face, you can design the rest of the character to be whatever you want. Civilian clothes are there, but a little thin on the ground.

This also means you can combine powers - Gambitclops, or Mister FanGambit for example.

Edited by Bobsy

GambitClops, hahaha. Awesomeness :grin::thumbup:

Cool thanks. I have a lot of imagination, so if for exampe 'my' Logan and Scott and up wearing the same jackets or whatever, so be it.

But I take it there isn't a head/face with red, normal glasses, then (as opposed to Cyke's actual visor)?

Regards,

Mitch

Edited by CF WeaZZel