don't think anyone has gone into detail about this...but I happened to see the new 8t gears on bricklink for $0.54 per piece!! Of course I immediately ordered 8 out of the 90+ he had :grin: and I am here to show you pics of the gear, and of the gear in the portal hubs. As most of my fellow trial truck/crawler builders know, the 8t gear slides out of place, causing something like this under high torque: :angry::wall:dscn1115.jpg

Now for pics of new 8t gears! :moar:

dscn1107.jpg

dscn1108.jpg

dscn1109.jpg

And now for the new 8t gears in portal hubs! :excited:

dscn1110.jpg

They do exactly what was expected of them, they do not slide into the outside of the portal hub! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Of course, they slide into the inner, larger hole, but this will not happen in any MOC if you build properly :wink:

dscn1111.jpg

another angle:

dscn1112.jpg

Exactly what we trial truck/crawler builders have been waiting for! :sweet:

I never broke one but good news anyway.

maybe because I use a lot of power :laugh: (two 10 volt battery packs powering two buggy motors or two xl motors)

This really looks like a big improvement. The old ones always seemed like the weak link, even though I don't make TT MOC's.

Anyone know why Lego made version 1 of the 8 tooth gear? I can't think of any old school set to have a reason for the 8t to fit inside the hole of the brick.

Anyone know why Lego made version 1 of the 8 tooth gear? I can't think of any old school set to have a reason for the 8t to fit inside the hole of the brick.

From what I remember, 8 tooth gears on axles used to go through plates with holes.

3709b.jpg?0 32001.jpg?1 3738.gif?0

The design of the old 8 tooth gears allowed the gear to sit flush with the surface of the plate, whereas the new 8 tooth gear doesn't fit between the studs, so it sits above the studs.

An example of this can be seen in the 8090 Technic Universal Set instructions here.

In today's studless Technic world, this probably doesn't matter so much.

I am not 100% certain, but I think those old style 8 tooth ones were designed to be used with those old plates with the holes in them as they fit in the center of the 4 studs over the hole..

Edit: LOL.. I was typing this up as you posted that...

Edited by Paul Boratko

What sets have they appeared in this year, if any yet? Like the topic beginner said, those 8-tooth gears slip out of place when meshing with another gear, case in point, the 8-tooth meshing with the turntable on the 8043, I never bought the 9398 Truck, maybe they made their debut on that model? Never sat flush, moved up or down, as in many other sets, 8419 same issue just to name a couple. I see the 42006 doesn't have any, and I have only the 42010 Race Car for 1H offerings. But, if a seller on BL is selling them, I wonder what set they came from, curious...

Edit: I just checked the 9398's inventory and they aren't in that set either...

Edited by TechnicFreak

The pull back cars have them.

Ah, good, I have the 42010 Racer and the 42004 right now. Haven't built them yet. Like many of you, I have bent or broken 8-tooth and 16-tooth gears.

Edited by TechnicFreak

My new project breaks the old 8t cogs like they are going out of fashion so I cant wait to get some of these. I thought they would be cost more on bricklink!

My new project breaks the old 8t cogs like they are going out of fashion so I cant wait to get some of these. I thought they would be cost more on bricklink!

You would think being a new part it would garner high prices...just like the claws for the 42006 going for insane prices...

I bought mine direct from Lego for 11p each just before Christmas. The inventory showed the new style but I was concerned they might just ship the old style, but nope, definitely the new ones!

I bought mine direct from Lego for 11p each just before Christmas. The inventory showed the new style but I was concerned they might just ship the old style, but nope, definitely the new ones!

me00rjb - what do you mean by 'old style'? Just curious...

me00rjb - what do you mean by 'old style'? Just curious...

As in the old-style of 8 tooth gear (perhaps 'original' would have been a better word), that can slide into the counterbores in the beams and hence come out of alignment with the mating gear and get chewed up. The one we've had to live with for years and has desperately needed updating! I wasn't sure if Lego would differentiate between the original and the new part, therefore I wasn't sure what I would get.

As in the old-style of 8 tooth gear (perhaps 'original' would have been a better word), that can slide into the counterbores in the beams and hence come out of alignment with the mating gear and get chewed up. The one we've had to live with for years and has desperately needed updating! I wasn't sure if Lego would differentiate between the original and the new part, therefore I wasn't sure what I would get.

@me00rjb - I've built so many models that had this problem with the mating of the 8-tooth gear 'slipping' out of contact with the opposing gear...if I could I'd buy a bunch of them and put them in place of the 'old' 8-tooth gear, but with this gear brand new likely it will command high prices on BL, and in short demand right now I'm sure

@me00rjb - I've built so many models that had this problem with the mating of the 8-tooth gear 'slipping' out of contact with the opposing gear...if I could I'd buy a bunch of them and put them in place of the 'old' 8-tooth gear, but with this gear brand new likely it will command high prices on BL, and in short demand right now I'm sure

It will only slip if you don't have adequate bracing. :blush::wink::laugh:

I've already started using them in place of the old gears. The beauty of it is, you can buy them from Lego right now, at a reasonable price (I paid 11p each). At least I was able to get them here in the UK.

It will only slip if you don't have adequate bracing. :blush::wink::laugh:

@Alasdair-

Just to name one set, the 8419 Excavator, there is play on the axle where the 8-tooth meets the worm gear and the 8-tooth has to much axle to slip up and down with, making the set somewhat difficult at times...same thing with the 8043's turntable, that little 8-tooth gear that turns the table seems to always slip up and down not meshing securely with the turntable gear...

I've already started using them in place of the old gears. The beauty of it is, you can buy them from Lego right now, at a reasonable price (I paid 11p each). At least I was able to get them here in the UK.

Using Pick-A-Brick?

Using Pick-A-Brick?

Using the replacement parts service. Which now has set inventories to browse to make life easier, rather than having to use the ID numbers from the instructions! Don't know if this link will work for everyone, but worth a try:

https://service.lego...arts/#BasicInfo

Follow it through to 'Buy a Piece' and then 'Bricks and Pieces Selection'.