mobi

Old Technic sets losing value?

Some of the best models that I have seen at Lego events have a mix of the old gray and the new gray integrated into the same model.

In Technic?

I mean, yes, I know they do that for castles or landscapes. But Technic?

Some older, vintage sets I've seen go below original MSRP, I bought a couple 8437 Future Cars, and really that set goes way beyond what is currently on the market. The last great off-road buggy/racer was the 8048, but I bought some MISB 8437's because not only do I like the blue color scheme, it just looks cool IMO. But, the value on that one has dropped, same follows with the 8462 Tow Truck, I picked one up for $170 USD MISB. Guess it matters where you look. I have seen some super-inflated pricing on Amazon.com from Marketplace sellers, but they aren't selling much of the high-end stuff. What gets me on more recent sets is the skyrocketed value of the 8288 Crawler Crane and 8285 Tow Truck. They are both great sets, but when I bought 2 8288's at TRU back in 2006, the MSRP was only $50 and the 8285 $119. Kind of insane. The 8258 is a beast and likely will command higher and higher pricing as time goes on as will the 8043. A few months ago I also bought a 8446 Crane Truck, just looked really interesting, I bought it at lower than MSRP in MISB condition. I'm kind of tossed on the studless vs studded construction, I bought a used 8853 Front Loader and 8235 Mini Front Skid Loader, both also less than MSRP. But, I see on BL that the 8853 MISB, if you can still find one, haven't checked in a while is going for $299, way more than MSRP, guess it depends on the set.

On a sidenote, I paid through the nose for an new, sealed 8466, if I recall I paid $400 this past summer, but that is great set. It had a lot of blemishes for its age, but everything was sealed inside.

Edited by TechnicFreak

Products are dependant on market demand and value are set by collectors. I didn't managed to buy 8466 but I've just received my new set of Power Puller Wheels. I'm impressed with the size and quality! Thanks to the collector who kept this for me!

Edited by Gene

Some of the best models that I have seen at Lego events have a mix of the old gray and the new gray integrated into the same model. It really add a level of realism and the final models do not have the "plastic" look that is common to Lego models.

I have to be honest...thats some of the best news I have heard. I was planning on building a statue of liberty base but to give it more realism I figured I would mix the greys...and even throw in yellowed old greys since I was going for the washed out stone look. I have already ordered the parts so I am glad to know that this ends up looking good!

I have to be honest...thats some of the best news I have heard. I was planning on building a statue of liberty base but to give it more realism I figured I would mix the greys...and even throw in yellowed old greys since I was going for the washed out stone look. I have already ordered the parts so I am glad to know that this ends up looking good!

Didn't the Architecture theme release a statue of liberty set last year? I could swear I saw it in a Barnes and Noble store...wasn't really large, but captured the realism. I know Architecture has developed a lot of true to life sets. I'm not really into them, I'm a Technic guy, but I bought one of them (can't recall which) for my fiancee's daughter a while back last year.

A couple other notable sets of the studded vintage area that look good in my estimation that I have are the 8837 Excavator (bought it used and replaced the pneumatic tubing), even if it is wheel instead of track based, another is the 8286 3-in-1 car w/ the helicopter. It is more space type themed, but is under the Technic series. And the 8443 Log Loader is a nice little set too, got that one MISB for a very decent price from a local seller so no shipping :laugh:

To nychase - not to start anything, but TLG actually changed old gray to the medium gray in 2004. My 8455 and 8454 both have the old gray. I bought a used 8408, and some bushings and gears were missing, so I substituted from my spare parts the 'new' gray. Doesn't really detract from the look, except where the 8-tooth gear runs along the steering rack. My first Technic sets were the 8448 and the 8464 and they both had the old gray coloring. But, I also own the 8439 Front Loader, a 3rd re-release of that set and it was released in 2004 and had the brighter light gray axles and bushes.

Edited by TechnicFreak

On a sidenote, I paid through the nose for an new, sealed 8466, if I recall I paid $400 this past summer, but that is great set. It had a lot of blemishes for its age, but everything was sealed inside.

That's interesting. Just this week I bought an opened 8466 for less than half that much. My biggest interest was in the wheels/tyres, and 4 of those on Bricklink cost more than I paid for the entire set.

The 8466 is exactly the type of set I was thinking about - a huge and impressive set that came out a dozen years ago. It was only in the last couple of years that sets of similar size have come along that appeal to me the same way, e.g. the 9398 4x4 Crawler.

I still believe 8880 is the best Technic set ever created. Amazing what Lego could do in 1994. I bought 8880 from eBay few years back for just £36. I never got so much fun for such little money in my life.

I just this afternoon bought on eBay an 8880 with no wheels for £45, and I've ordered replacement wheels from bricklink for about €9. Not the deal of the century (£36 is crazy), but far below the bricklink average used price of over £80.

Now I've just got to wait for it to arrive. I've waited nearly 20 years to get one; you'd think waiting another week or so wouldn't be a problem...

imagine that I started with 8862 when I was really a child...already the passion for excavator was clear...you can imagine my face when I saw 8043 fist time after almost 20 years

I am so happy to be back doing brick...even if I am almost 30.... but from what I see here maybe I am one of the youngest ahahahahahah

Should I feel lucky I have an 8880?

Yes you should, some vintage sets do keep or rise in value...I've wanted an 8880 for some time, it is all the 8448 had for functions, its kind of a toss-up, but I'd rather go with the 8880 in the end...I took a look-see on Amazon Marketplace and even 8285's are going for nearly a $1K or more...glad I have 2 sealed for MSRP...

I just this afternoon bought on eBay an 8880 with no wheels for £45, and I've ordered replacement wheels from bricklink for about €9. Not the deal of the century (£36 is crazy), but far below the bricklink average used price of over £80.

Now I've just got to wait for it to arrive. I've waited nearly 20 years to get one; you'd think waiting another week or so wouldn't be a problem...

Patience is the hardest part, especially when you get your hands on a good set...I find that hard too...

That's interesting. Just this week I bought an opened 8466 for less than half that much. My biggest interest was in the wheels/tyres, and 4 of those on Bricklink cost more than I paid for the entire set.

The 8466 is exactly the type of set I was thinking about - a huge and impressive set that came out a dozen years ago. It was only in the last couple of years that sets of similar size have come along that appeal to me the same way, e.g. the 9398 4x4 Crawler.

I bought it from a BL seller back in the summer, $400, way too late now. Maybe I got taken, I don't know, but I do know it is a highly coveted set like many larger, vintage sets, I'd also like to get the space shuttle too. I know a local seller that has it, but the price is outrageous, and its used too. I finally also got an MISB 8462 Tow Truck set as well in the fall, so my older collection of wants is nearly taken care of. I also bought a used 8286 3-in-1 car w/ the helicopter. Rather futuristic looking, but it struck my fancy so I bought it, still inventorying it to make sure all parts are accounted for.

Edited by TechnicFreak

I know I already commented on this topic, but it seems the latest sets that are retired, aka 8275, 8285 and 8421, and oddly the 8288 (maybe because of its uniqueness) are commanding more than the older sets. I still think the 8466 is probably my oldest set with high value. I own all of the above sets sealed, except the 8275 which I built the inspirational model and modified it to add a cab and redid the jaws in front and hid the unsightly wires in back from the IRs, motors, etc, is an excellent stand-alone model if mods are done. Makes a great forestry grabber for cutting and holding trees like in one season of Ax Men, that gave me the idea. With the jaws re-done it can pick up nearly anything and grab it tight and lift. I own an 8853 Front Loader (also called an Excavator for some reason) from 1988, and it rivals the 8453, and is kind of in-between scale-wise the 8439/59/64 and the 8453 or 8283 b model. I got it for $25 USD from a BL seller back in late September and all old-school. Nice set really...but I noticed it has risen in value exponentially since he sold me the used copy. He had one MISB and listed it for $299 on BL.

Why would someone pay over odds for smaller sets like 8853? It is very easy to build sets like these with parts from other sets.

In fact if someone has recent sets like 8110, 8258, 8043, 8069, 9398 etc. it is quite easy (with patience) to build many of older/smaller sets.

Until a few years back I used to moan why TLG is not re-releasing older sets but now with latest line up, it hardly matters.

I recently picked up an 8880 and a few other (smaller) Technic sets of that era. I love the older, full-stud construction Technic. As I'm fresh out of my dark age, I haven't yet had much opportunity to come to terms with the newer, studless construction sets. I don't exactly hate them, but for modern LEGO I find I'm at least initially drawn to other themes... such as Star Wars.

I picked up the 8880 explicitly because the price has come down a little. As Mobi said, I'll be using my part collection, as it grows, to try to re-create the older sets. There are some cases where I don't think that would be the economic option though. With the 8868 set including a compressor, a motor and lots of pneumatic parts I really don't know how easy it would be to acquire the missing elements. I'm also not sure how well complex parts like that will work after a decade or so. Anyone who has one can comment on that?

It's a worry I have about a lot of the unusual and discontinued parts from that era. Especailly the complex working parts, like motors, pneumatic parts and fiber-optics. Maybe that's also responsible for the downward slide in value of these sets.

Edited by Soluzar

I recently picked up an 8880 and a few other (smaller) Technic sets of that era. I love the older, full-stud construction Technic. As I'm fresh out of my dark age, I haven't yet had much opportunity to come to terms with the newer, studless construction sets. I don't exactly hate them, but for modern LEGO I find I'm at least initially drawn to other themes... such as Star Wars.

I picked up the 8880 explicitly because the price has come down a little. As Mobi said, I'll be using my part collection, as it grows, to try to re-create the older sets. There are some cases where I don't think that would be the economic option though. With the 8868 set including a compressor, a motor and lots of pneumatic parts I really don't know how easy it would be to acquire the missing elements. I'm also not sure how well complex parts like that will work after a decade or so. Anyone who has one can comment on that?

It's a worry I have about a lot of the unusual and discontinued parts from that era. Especailly the complex working parts, like motors, pneumatic parts and fiber-optics. Maybe that's also responsible for the downward slide in value of these sets.

Used to be a strictly Space-themed guy until I saw that 8448 Supercar, and I was in awe of Technic after that. I don't bash the SW theme, but Space themes kind of went out after Lego acquired the license for SW. I used to think studded plates was ugly, though w/ the 8448 the sleekness on the outside hid the studded parts, but I realized how many good sets I missed out on, and for the most part now I have all I wanted with the exception of a couple, the space shuttle and 8880 Supercar...plus those older sets had, for the most part, a lot more gears and such and that really interested me in how it all went together as they did in the 8448, esp the transmission, I was amazed at all the clever design in that tranny...so at an expense on some MISB, some used, I put my list together of what I wanted...did I get jacked a few times, yeah I probably did, but unless money starts falling off trees, I won't be seeing the 8480 or 8880 anytime soon...

Edited by TechnicFreak

I actually have a line on a used space shuttle, still high priced but not over the top compared to others used on BL or eBay, and luckily the seller is in my city, but only uses eBay for selling, but he has to verify all the parts are there and has a family so it might be a while before I might get it, and with finances tight its probably for the best anyway...but he has it and I've bought a few other used sets from him and he keeps his parts in top-notch condition as noticed by the used sets I have bought from him. He told he'd leave it off of eBay with promise I'd buy it from him once he does an inventory count. Keeping my fingers crossed, still looking for the elusive high-priced 8880 Supercar though...

Products are dependant on market demand and value are set by collectors. I didn't managed to buy 8466 but I've just received my new set of Power Puller Wheels. I'm impressed with the size and quality! Thanks to the collector who kept this for me!

Something about the Power Puller set that keeps cropping up that makes me now somewhat interested...

Something about the Power Puller set that keeps cropping up that makes me now somewhat interested...

Go for it. I got one for £46, and was going to just sell it on, trying to make a profit, but after I built it I decided I had to keep it. In fact, it's my avatar now. Although, I'm currently building an 8880 I bought last week...

Regarding studless vs. studfull: this may indeed be a factor. I remember that I used to think sets like 8868 looked beautiful, and I absolutely hated studless sets when they were first introduced, but now it's the other way around: I think 8868 now looks very dated and primitive due to all the studs everywhere, and much prefer the studless looks of, say, 8258 and 8285. The pneumatics of 8868 still kick a$$, however.

if you want studless? collect playmobil instead of LEGO. :wink:

Why would someone pay over odds for smaller sets like 8853? It is very easy to build sets like these with parts from other sets.

In fact if someone has recent sets like 8110, 8258, 8043, 8069, 9398 etc. it is quite easy (with patience) to build many of older/smaller sets.

Until a few years back I used to moan why TLG is not re-releasing older sets but now with latest line up, it hardly matters.

I definitely wouldn't have paid $299 for a MISB 8853, got mine for $25 used, and the pieces look very good for its age, but it was only handled by an adult, so that was a plus...

if you want studless? collect playmobil instead of LEGO. :wink:

Some look better without studs, I agree, the sleekness of the liftarms and beams, plus the fairings. Even the 8466 I bought is mostly studless, even in 2001, even though many of the underpinnings are studded. An odd thing of mine is I love the old plates w/ holes in them, don't ask why...

Go for it. I got one for £46, and was going to just sell it on, trying to make a profit, but after I built it I decided I had to keep it. In fact, it's my avatar now. Although, I'm currently building an 8880 I bought last week...

I see that in your profile pic...I might check it out and see what I can get for it in the USA...

Then i got a good deal.

2 days ago i bought 8860 complete with box & plastic inlays in good shape + instructions like new.

For 50 euro

Does anyone know(or remember) what the retail cost of the 853/956 was back in the 70's..? I faintly remember seeing the prices of the Technic sets in the Sears Christmas catalogs in the late 70's early 80's and from what I recall they were expensive even back then.. But I may be wrong.. That was 30+ years ago...

Does anyone know(or remember) what the retail cost of the 853/956 was back in the 70's..? I faintly remember seeing the prices of the Technic sets in the Sears Christmas catalogs in the late 70's early 80's and from what I recall they were expensive even back then.. But I may be wrong.. That was 30+ years ago...

I got 853 for my 12th birthday in 1978. Or actually, I bought it myself with all the money I collected on my birthday party.

It was extremely expensive for kids of my age: it cost about 90 Dutch Guilders (about 40 euro/50 dollar)

A few years later I made a big mistake by selling it for buying an electric train (non-LEGO).

Nowadays this set is offered for around 80 euro on Dutch auction site called Marktplaats.