The Real Walkers

Always seeing Harry Potter potential?

As we all know, sadly, there shall be no more Harry Potter sets...

However with certain themes and sets which are released, I'm always wondering whether or not it would fit in with my castle which sits proudly on display.

Some of my own examples include:

Escape from Mirkwood Spiders (Hobbit) to increase the size of my Forbidden forest.

Shelob's lair (LOTR) supplies a proper Aragog.

London Escape (Pirates of the carribean) as possibly a suitable Leaky Cauldron/Three broomsticks.

Rivendell (LOTR) as a suitable Transfiguration and Courtyard place.

Galdalf's arrival- I use Gandalf as an Aberforth.

I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas? :)

Nice idea for a topic. There are obviously lots of paralels between LotR and HP, so those sets have some potential. For example, the Ring Wraiths can be used to build up your Dementor army, and Riddles for the Ring could be used as the Horcrux cave.

The Winter Village makes for a great Hogsmead!

Big Bentley can be used as a Hogwarts clock tower.

One of the POTC ships can be used as the Durmstrang ship.

And I think Arkham Asylum can be used as Malfoy Manor. The interior would need some serious modifying obviously, but it definitely has the right look in my opinion.

Medeivel Market Village makes a great add on or setting for Hogsmead or Diagonal Alley.

As others have said any of the Winter Village sets for the same.

The Modular Pet shop can be a good starting point for 12Grimauld Place

Mines of Moria just has a nice subterrainian Hogwarts feel to it. Between the Walls, that big door arch and the new cave troll it should be workable. Or maybe as a Gringots MOC.

The PotC Black Pearl makes a nice Durmstrag ship.

The PotC Whitecap Bay has lots to be incorporated into HP, including the rowboats and mermaids

One of the Ninjago Dragons could probably work for a Gringots Dragon.

The Hobbit Barrel Escape can be converted to. hogsmeade tavern interior.

Arkham Assylum works as Malfoys, Azkaban

Vampyes Castle would make for a passable Azkaban as well.

And while expensive London Bridge makes a great broom flyby backdrop, ala OotP.

Wolverines Chopper Showdown has an older style Motorcycle for Hagrid. You just need to MOC a sidecar. One of the Indiana Jones sets has the cycle and side car.

Edited by Faefrost

Wolverines Chopper Showdown has an older style Motorcycle for Hagrid. You just need to MOC a sidecar. One of the Indiana Jones sets has the cycle and side car.

None of those will do you much good though, unless you plan on having Sirious drive it, because Hagrid wont fit on neither of them. :laugh:

The Monster Fighters sets have other potential as well. The Werewolf head and claws can be used on Lupin and the tree can be used as the Whomping Willow. And The Zombies can be used as the Little Hangleton graveyard.

Arkham Assylum works as Malfoys, Azkaban

Vampyes Castle would make for a passable Azkaban as well.

Neither would work for Azkaban, if you wanted it accurate, that is. But the other suggestions here are great! It never even dawned on me to use other themes in the HP universe. Makes me want to do a HP layout instead of a City one.

Great thread.

That's funny I bought 4 forbidden forests sets sans minifigs for $4 bucks a piece on bricklink to increase my Mirkwood Forest. I guess it can go both ways with crossover pieces for each theme.

I really want a Hogwarts for the tan pieces but it's a bit expensive. I want to use the great hall section to recreate some buildings from Rivendell. I wish there was a way to buy just that section.

That's funny I bought 4 forbidden forests sets sans minifigs for $4 bucks a piece on bricklink to increase my Mirkwood Forest. I guess it can go both ways with crossover pieces for each theme.

I really want a Hogwarts for the tan pieces but it's a bit expensive. I want to use the great hall section to recreate some buildings from Rivendell. I wish there was a way to buy just that section.

I also share this wanting of buying separate parts. I'd quite like another of Dumbledore's office but to strip all interior: I'd make the top level just battelments, the office bit an infirmary and the bottom a potions classroom.

It's just the cost- I'm on limited a budget for lego :grin:

True, but then again, that particular set is just a tree. Trees can be used in any theme. :laugh:

I got one more:

The Great Devourer from the Ninjago Epic Dragon Battle makes for a great Basilisk and all the snake-shaped shrines from the 2012 Ninjago sets and the Cursed Cobra Statue from PQ can be used to put together a Chamber of Secrets! :sweet:

Another one:

The Temple of Doom and the Lone Ranger Silver Mine can be used as part of Gringotts.

This thread has you thinking now. Keep 'em coming, those are pretty good examples. I like your Chamber of Secrets idea. Adding to the Chamber idea, how about parts of 9473 Mines of Moria. The pillars and the little platform area. It may take a little bit of modding to really fit, but could work.

Wow I really never thought about all these different sets like this. This is awesome guys. Thank you for sharing. I think the only one I actually thought about was the cobra as basilisk

I'm always seeing potential! One of the things I could always see being done over discontinuing the whole line is releasing medium to large sized Hogsmeade buildings that connect like modulars, but are open in the back. Not really so much seeing potential in other sets, but something I could have seen being done.

I'm always seeing potential! One of the things I could always see being done over discontinuing the whole line is releasing medium to large sized Hogsmeade buildings that connect like modulars, but are open in the back. Not really so much seeing potential in other sets, but something I could have seen being done.

It's really too bad, there's still so much potential left in HP. Among the target audience, however, I don't know how relevant HP is anymore. I know I'd eat up every set they released.

I consider myself to be part of the target audience, as a huge HP fan. I'm not sure how the rest of the HP fandom feels about Lego, though. I still believe mainstream HP items will sell - the upcoming revised HP book covers due in Sept will surely sell, but other things like prop replicas seem to have slowed down.

The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Series in Particular seem to be full of Harry Potter potential, which isn't that surprising after all when you think of it.

I'm surprised nobody went into detailling all the minifigure pieces to be used.

Gandalf makes a great Aberforth, as somebody stated above. Those new torsos, especially Frodo, Pippin and Bilbo, with the velvets design are very close to what Harry Potter figs are wearing. I'm thinking of Horace Slughorn, Arthur Weasley or Ministry Officers for instance. I myself use Frodo's head as Quirrel, it works wonders! The dwarfs are very useful when it comes to create a variety of wizards. One of them, forgot his name, can be given longer legs and a new hairpiece but looks great as Grindelwald or Gregorovitch.

I use Lupin's hair with Samwise's face as well to create a custom Percy, it looks perfect! The rather strict expression on Sam's face (that doesn't really fit him IMO) works perfect for Percy.

Smeagol could work as Kreacher as a last resort, although he might too recognizable and symbolical to be of great use.

No to mention the ring is of great use as Marvolo Gaunt's ring, And you actually can put a red 1X1 tile in it to sell the effect of a resurection stone!

Shelob, as somebody already stated works great as Aragog, especially the foldable legs are of great use when it comes to making the spider look dead and lie on it's back. Truly works for the Half Blood Prince scenes!

The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Series in Particular seem to be full of Harry Potter potential, which isn't that surprising after all when you think of it.

I'm surprised nobody went into detailling all the minifigure pieces to be used.

Gandalf makes a great Aberforth, as somebody stated above. Those new torsos, especially Frodo, Pippin and Bilbo, with the velvets design are very close to what Harry Potter figs are wearing. I'm thinking of Horace Slughorn, Arthur Weasley or Ministry Officers for instance. I myself use Frodo's head as Quirrel, it works wonders! The dwarfs are very useful when it comes to create a variety of wizards. One of them, forgot his name, can be given longer legs and a new hairpiece but looks great as Grindelwald or Gregorovitch.

I use Lupin's hair with Samwise's face as well to create a custom Percy, it looks perfect! The rather strict expression on Sam's face (that doesn't really fit him IMO) works perfect for Percy.

Smeagol could work as Kreacher as a last resort, although he might too recognizable and symbolical to be of great use.

No to mention the ring is of great use as Marvolo Gaunt's ring, And you actually can put a red 1X1 tile in it to sell the effect of a resurection stone!

Shelob, as somebody already stated works great as Aragog, especially the foldable legs are of great use when it comes to making the spider look dead and lie on it's back. Truly works for the Half Blood Prince scenes!

I agree with the figures aspect. Previously I had used the young anakin face for percy but I like your idea as well. Bilbo from riddles also makes a nice Slughorn, if anyone could could take a picture of the bilbo head, torso, with a graduate cap and some apt legs, I'd be greatly appreciative!!