Paul B Technic

If I ran The Lego Group

Personally. If I ran TLG. I'd bring back the designs of older sets onto the new lines. I like the new stuff but the older stuff was just more nostalgic and had better features and only had designs where it needed them. And they were relatively cheaper. So, I'd like that a lot. Keep printing quality and designs though. Basic set with minifigures that pop are sure to sell a lot better than some of the newer stuff.

^^ Just related to what NuffSaid1996 said; TLG has a moving target... I know these posts are what we'd want, but TLG needs to stay in business. I know a kid who prefers Megabloks because "Megablocks isn't scared to make a new part when they need one that fits." And I mentioned to him that one of the complaints of a lot of LEGO fans is that TLG makes too many specialty pieces when things could be brick-built. Remember the target audience... they need to stay "up to date."

But to add to the last few posts, I would definitely release single color brick sets of the kinds of colors people use the most.... white, gray, black, tan... I would also make theme oriented brick packs that weren't specific sets, like a castle pack that had a lot of gray, for example, and would sell profile brick packs. I would also release other themed packs... like flora (parts conducive to making trees and landscape).

I know why they don't do these things at all (or anymore, in some cases... I've purchased single color tile packs way back when... and up until recently you could get a K-box at a LEGO Store), but still... I think people would go nuts with packs like these.

Edited by fred67

I would get rid of all the firing elements, the 1 x 4 spring shooter that fires the transparent arrows, the flick fire missiles, the technic shooters that fire the rubber-tipped technic arrows and also the minifig shooters that fire the 1 x 1 round plates.

Eh, they aren't THAT bad. Only flick fires are horrendously overused IMO.

If I were TLG, I'd do an entire theme based off of a Classic Space revamp. Those would sell like hotcakes, granting how well the Exo-Suit sold

Edited by legozebra

If I ran TLG.

Lego City would no longer be a police state

That one made me laugh the most. Sadly though, as a kid it was the only part of town/city Lego I was really interested in! And now I'm just apathetic about all of it...

^^ Just related to what NuffSaid1996 said; TLG has a moving target... I know these posts are what we'd want, but TLG needs to stay in business. I know a kid who prefers Megabloks because "Megablocks isn't scared to make a new part when they need one that fits." And I mentioned to him that one of the complaints of a lot of LEGO fans is that TLG makes too many specialty pieces when things could be brick-built. Remember the target audience... they need to stay "up to date."

Someone who can relate!

lDMHhqt.jpg?1

This figure of Spider-Man is a mix of the old and new figures. And it just comes to show that mixing them just works better.

And I wish LEGO would realize that going crazy over moulds (with the exception of a few good ones) is absurd. You don't need to cloud the imagination of kids by making things so complicated. Like a bank. Lots of detail on the old ones and they looked good and were easy to replicate but still look different with all the pieces you had. Now these complex 200+ piece structures aren't going to be replicated by kids. Because it's too hard to do that with what you have with all these new moulds and such. I like the old sets a bit better than the new ones but a mix of some more freedom and imagination rather than attention to moulded details and such should work so well. There is really no loss with this change in my opinion. Just more satisfaction. Like, I know the economy was the problem with a lot of stuff now but I loved how there was a variety of small and large sets no matter on how the source material was, they could just build what they want. LEGO should go back to that. I'd rather enjoy it.

Regarding the number of new molds, I am looking at http://brickset.com/parts/year-2015 and I don't see all that many new molds (lots of new prints and new colors though). and most of the molds that I do see seem to fit the purpose. For example there is a new helicopter chassis piece that most AFOLs would find ugly and useless but that will make the set containing it a LOT easier for the target audience of Juniors sets to assemble. And there is a new piece used for the Friends hot air balloon which looks significantly better than the last time TLG did a hot air balloon (in the Orient Expedition line I think). And there is a new head cover mold for Chima for the bear characters (in at least 7 color/print variations by my count) which is the only way LEGO can do a bear tribe in Chima (and they need new tribes to keep kids buying)

I know a kid who prefers Megabloks because "Megablocks isn't scared to make a new part when they need one that fits."

Yep. MB has gender benders that people are begging for from TLG, they have 4x4 tiles, they have neat brackets like 1x1/1x1, they have 3x3 macaroni, and 2 X 2 plates with clips plus a 2x2 plate with bar! Megabloks is thinking outside the box and actually creating some neat stuff.

Edited by SweetiePie88

If I ran the LEGO Group, I'll do the following below:

1. Make more minifigures that based on their appearance in game and TV show that never produced before such as (Natalia Kowalski, Fantastic 4, Michelangelo the artist, and more)

2. Do not discontinue CMF Series and produce more non-licensed Special Series.

Edited by legofanatic12

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this comment...

But I think like many AFOL, I am very tired of stickers!!! Especially in sets targeting Adults like the Kiwi E mart. I miss those days when everything is printed and there are no stickers.

I understand LEGO is trying to cut production cost by replacing print on with stickers but for AFOL sets, we really don't mind paying more for "no stickers"! Please! :O

Thank you

hmm, i like stickers tho. you don't need to put them on if don't want to. printed is like 'YOU HAVE TO USE IT.'

hmm, i like stickers tho. you don't need to put them on if don't want to. printed is like 'YOU HAVE TO USE IT.'

Understand that point of view, but stickers just aren't as durable, and easy to apply imperfectly lined up with my adult fat fingers (I use tweezers now, but still manage to mess it up from time to time). Considering that it's usually just basic pieces that can easily be obtained otherwise for the MOCers out there, I most definitely prefer printed.

I for one would pay more to not have stickers on big sets that are targeting AFOLs or are otherwise "premium" sets. Would have been better if The Big Bang Theory had a printed door and column piece instead of the stickers it would have been better and I would have been happy to pay extra (although in that case it may be that they dont have the ability to print on those particular elements). At least the usual rule is that Ideas sets and modulars get printing and not stickers (the only exception with the modulars is the film posters in the Palace Cinema which needed to be stickers). I wish more big exclusive AFOL targeted sets had printing and not stickers...

I would return the Legends line, but with one change: The store bought versions of them would basically try to ''modernize'' the sets, and the LEGO Store/S@H version would leave it like they were. I would also try to make newer and less <insert that tiresome argument> versions of Town Jr., like a better version of Highway Construction.

I would have more buildings in the City line. Buildings that aren't fire stations, places for fire fighters to go and fight fire, police stations, bad guy hideouts or half-finished buildings being built (or destroyed) by construction vehicles.

How about another gas station (we haven't had a proper one of those since 7993 in 2007 unless you count the pathetic pumps in 4207). Or another house (8403 was a great set and a breath of fresh air compared to the usual City fare). Or more retail shops (Juniors and Friends both get supermarkets this year, why cant City have one?) Or how about a post office or a bank? (we are well overdue for both of these)

I would also end the practice of having retailer exclusive sets and make all sets (including the big exclusives like the Tumbler, UCS Star Wars, modulars, Hellicarrier, Simpsons etc) available to any retailer that wants to stock them.

Something else I would do is to look at sites like Bricklink and elsewhere and see what part-color combinations (that either dont exist or used to exist but aren't being made anymore) are in high demand. I would also survey AFOLs and fans to find out what part/color combos they most want to see. Then I would take this information, remove any parts from the lists that can't be made for whatever reason (e.g. because they are a "licensed part", because they use a mold that has been discontinued, because they use a color that has been discontinued or whatever) and I would direct the designers to see if they can find ways to incorporate those part-color combinations into new sets.

I'd like to see more varied buildings, but I don't know that the target audience would like supermarkets or banks without robbers.

I'd definitely like to see them make part/color combos that are considered rare and are ridiculously priced in the after-market, but I don't know about mandating they be used in sets as a justification for making them. I know the designers are asked to use certain parts for various reasons (like that there's an abundance of a particular part for some reason), but I'd hate for a great design to be changed to squeeze in some blast-from-the-past part just because they're rare and expensive on BL.

I think I'd rather just sell those parts on PAB, maybe even publicizing when new color/parts are added, and perhaps even charge a premium for them (but still much less than BL). There are, of course, times when parts will easily fit into sets, too. New doors for Market Street can be $50... for a $#@$ing door. A #@#%#ing door is more expensive than a lot of sought after minifigures. A 2x2 gray turntable is like $15. There's really something wrong! And we're not talking about parts last released in the 60s or 70s, we're talking about not even 10 years ago.

So I'd actually encourage the third party shopping (like BL) for people that want to recreate missed sets - they are already paying a lot more for them, and TLG is already making a lot more with all the sets that are sold to cover the parts needed... they could make even more by making certain parts more readily available.

I'd probably focus more on town; less vehicles, more buildings and smaller add on packs (parks, busstops etc.)

And I'd stop with that chima/ninja stuff. Can't stand those lines. :hmpf_bad:

I'd probably focus more on town; less vehicles, more buildings and smaller add on packs (parks, busstops etc.)

And I'd stop with that chima/ninja stuff. Can't stand those lines. :hmpf_bad:

Yes... cancel one of Lego's most successful and popular lines. Surely that's a sound business decision. :hmpf:

This whole topic is practically a directory for "people who should not be making executive-level decisions for the world's biggest toy company".

Yes... cancel one of Lego's most successful and popular lines. Surely that's a sound business decision. :hmpf:

This whole topic is practically a directory for "people who should not be making executive-level decisions for the world's biggest toy company".

I posted in here, so I especially agree.

Hmmmmmm.

First and foremost, I would establish a yearly schedule for re-releasing retired Modulars, using alternative colours schemes, with alternative minifigures, using substituted parts (if required) and, for the first few sets, with new interior details. I would also consider a similar scheme for other core themes - one annual re-release of a truly fan-demanded / classic / iconic set per year, with substituted parts if required. For other schemes, there could even be some kind of fan vote to determine the "top five" and then Lego can make its selection from those top five.

Secondly, I would stop the odd "curved waist" and "cleavage" designs for female minifigures. As someone who has only recently emerged from the Dark Ages, this change strikes me as very odd and unnecessary. I don't recall seeing similar printing techniques to create fat or thin male body shapes, so why the decision to try and create an idealised female figure from a block?

Thirdly, I would introduce a Greek/Roman theme drawing upon history and mythology. This is a purely selfish choice since it is amongst my most wanted.

Fourthly, I would introduce a Disney theme. I imagine this theme would have an adult focus, with Ultimate Collector Series versions of Disneyland Castle, classic rides, Main Street buildings, Disney Railroad and other attractions (e.g. treehouse). Lego seem to be happy to exploit Disney with their Princess and Junior lines, but they seem to be ignoring adult fans. Disney Lego would surely be a big seller in the theme park and in retail stores.

Fifthly, I would look to the past for inspiration. When I was a child, I could buy Lego sets of "townspeople", "garden accessories" and "basic bricks" in the then popular colours. Other than the CMF series, there are no townspeople packs. I don't recall seeing a garden accessories pack and the "basic bricks" packs come with such a wide assortment of colours that it is difficult to build sizeable creations. I would offer two "basic bricks" assortments - one for kids with a maximum of four colours (red, blue, white and maybe yellow)an another for adults also with a maximum of four colours (grey, brown, tan and maybe white or black). They could come with doors, windows, etc. The adults pack would also come with ... unique/odd pieces to encourage greater creativity in designing façades, etc.

Sixthly, I would force all retailers to display all Lego in a single aisle. The separation of "boy Lego" and "girl Lego" is foolish. A boy should be able to buy a Friends set and a girl should be able to buy a City set without judgement or fearing that they're buying the "wrong" item.

Seventh, I would expand the City theme beyond the core Fire and Police themes. There is no reason that other city buildings like banks, schools, hospitals, grocery stores, malls, restaurants, townhouses, apartments, museums, libraries, zoos, etc cannot play a role (or a larger role) in building a city. Lego can keep making Fire and Police, but there need to be buildings to burn down and places to commit crimes for those themes to have any kind of purpose. These don't all have to be "big" sets, but maybe it could be relatively easy to create a large set from multiple smaller sets. A "hospital" theme could separately release the ambulance bay, operating theatre, etc and they should be compatible to build a single set.

I understand that there would likely be a lot of valid arguments against many of these wishes, and some of them have already been touched upon by others here, but if I were to run TLG...

• I'd make Creator the company's flagship playtheme, primarily by increasing its annual product output, broadening the theme's scope of playset subject matters, and perhaps introducing a second, intermediate subtheme to slot in between the "Three-In-One" and Expert lines. In doing so, Creator can in a way become a haven of sorts for homeless themes and genres, much like the non-licensed Collectable Minifigure line.
  • Reincorporate the singular model, alternate build formula currently utilized by sets within the Creator and Technic themes into a select number of many other preexisting themes' products, which was the norm for many of TLG's product lines up until a few years ago. In other words, a few less figure-centric playsets, and in turn, a few more build-focused "model kit" sets in their place for both in-house and licensed themes alike.
  • Never have the annual number of individual licensed themes outnumber that of original, in-house themes. Likewise, as a result, there would always be maintained an annual two to one ratio of original to licensed Collectable Minifigure Series.
  • With the obvious exception of ones required for licensed themes, ensure that every newly made part is designed for a long lifespan beyond its intended purpose, especially for minifigure accessories/headgear parts. 
  • Where ever and whenever possible, try to consolidate any overlapping themes together under a broader, evergreen umbrella theme, whether they be original or licensed lines. In other words, try to model more themes after subtheme structured product lines such as City (when handling in-house themes) and Marvel/DC Super Heroes (when handling licensed themes).
  • When handling currently relevant licensed properties for a new theme or subtheme, ideally, opt for the source material's original or classic iteration as an indirect promotional tie-in to its latest iteration. For instance, as opposed to producing tie-in sets based directly on the 2008 cinematic Speed Racer movie, I would've instead produced sets based upon the classic TV show from which it was inspired from.

If I ran TLG I would increase the variety of odd numbered studs. In addition to the 3 stud options, 5, 7 and 9 stud versions would be available because there is always that time when a larger odd brick is needed.

Edited by Scene

On 8/15/2018 at 4:08 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I understand that there would likely be a lot of valid arguments against many of these wishes, and some of them have already been touched upon by others here, but if I were to run TLG...

Please apply to work for them ASAP.

14 hours ago, Larry Andersen said:

I would bring back Model Team.  Although Creator Expert is coming close to it with the DB5.

Some of the Creator vehicles are very similar to Model Team in terms of size and functionality. Creator vehicles I'd consider relatively "Model Team-ish" include 4893, 4896, 6747, 6753, 5892, 5893, 5767, 7291, 31011, 31018, 31022, 31030, 31039, and 31059. All these sets have a high level of detail/authenticity, working steering (for cars/trucks/motorbikes) or adjustable flaps (for aircraft), and a scale larger than that associated with appearances of the same types of vehicles in "play themes" like City or Ninjago. Plus, like Model Team, many of these sets have more than one build that can also be described in this way (though some of the smaller ones sacrifice things like scale and steering in their alternate builds).

But granted, things like working steering for Creator cars and trucks have been in decline for a while, and in general the trend in the past few years has been towards making Creator 3-in-1 vehicles closer to minifigure scale, much as has long been the norm for Creator 3-in-1 buildings. And while the scale of Model Team vehicles has always varied somewhat (while the upper limit of what can be considered "minifig scale" has grown considerably since back in the 80s and 90s), I don't think the minifig-scale Creator 3-in-1 vehicles tend to have many of the sorts of characteristics I associate with Model Team sets.