SkaForHire

Clarification for Challenge VI

I had a few questions about the new challenge, and though it may be useful to put together a questions thread like in the past.

This being the biggest, and most time consuming challenge, I am sure there will be other questions. I can manage the top thread as an FAQ if anyone wants me to.

Ok, my first question - The instructions say that only three builds will be scored if the builder chooses to build additional builds for their story. Does the builder get to choose which builds will be scored, or will it just be the first three, the best three (determined by a quick glance by a judge) or some other criteria?

Second, how do you want us to post these builds? As one post, many posts?

I have a suggestion for that: Every builder creates one story post. All builds are posted in the story post as it progresses (That allows people to post their builds as they are build and give "teasers" but keeps all of the story in the same thread.) The three judged builds all get their own thread of comments and critique. Freebuilds related to the story I guess would be the same. Judges would only have to link the story thread in the voting portion, because all builds for that story would be in the main thread also.

glad you made this thread, I have a question too. I believe many people are going to have a scene with some form of siege, i was wandering if a build that has a building in good condition in it in one picture and then siege weapons and damage in another would count as one or 2 builds?

I'll throw my questions in here: if I do say four builds - for judging, only three will be eligible, but any others will/could get free build points right? And what I was really getting at; voters (since I believe the rules stated that GoH members only would vote for their favorite story) will vote on - the entire thing, right (not just three builds)?

3 new questions:

Firstly: what are the colours of the banners of Victor?

Personally I would choose for Black & White (black because he is evil and it is the colour of his clothes - white because of the white hand)

2nd:

Do we all agree that for the upcomming battle-scenes, it is just a coincidence when an enemy army looks like the army of other members here at the forum?

3rd:

Can an army besiege a city with wooden catapults etc... if the city is surrended by hundreds miles of desert? (so the closest place where they can find wood is some days walking)

For my battlescene, I don't have so many siege machines (also, I don't have the place anymore :cry_sad: )

Based on the responses about this Challenge that I have heard from ZC so far, I am going to go out on a limb here and say it for him...."It is your story, do as you like!"

Based on the responses about this Challenge that I have heard from ZC so far, I am going to go out on a limb here and say it for him...."It is your story, do as you like!"

Seconded

3 new questions:

Personally I would choose for Black & White (black because he is evil and it is the colour of his clothes - white because of the white hand)

2nd:

Do we all agree that for the upcomming battle-scenes, it is just a coincidence when an enemy army looks like the army of other members here at the forum?

3rd:

Can an army besiege a city with wooden catapults etc... if the city is surrended by hundreds miles of desert? (so the closest place where they can find wood is some days walking)

For my battlescene, I don't have so many siege machines (also, I don't have the place anymore :cry_sad: )

I would have to agree with the last two responses, but a few thoughts -

Whereas a whole army probably could not use sorcery and magic to move to the doorsteps of your desert city, perhaps they could have sent the siege weapons via a portal or teleport once they got to the city -- that way they were not slowed down dragging them there.

For the colors, I think black and white is probably a good guess, although it seems that those people who have come over may be from all guilds.

As for representing the enemy, I don't think you have a problem there. Although the main army may be the band of the White Hand, it seems that many have gone over to Victor's side. In my last battle project the good guys encountered crown knights and Kaliphlin knights who had turned evil. Also, I have had cultists join Victor in that same story. So it stands to reason that cultists / turncoats / highly ambitious opportunists would come from all guilds to join Victor's side.

Thx Ska :classic: (and the Kayne for responding)

I have fabricated some siege machinery and replaced some minifigs :laugh:

Also, about the army and flag thing:

My enemy has barbarians from Mitgardia, Peasants from Avalonia, Samurais & Ninjas from Kaliphlin, Monsters from Nocturnus, Pikemen from Avalonia, Skeletons from under the Rakath Mountains and so on and so on :laugh:

All with different flags and banners

but the reason why I asked is because there has to be a flag of Revolword near Valharess in my eyes :classic:

Ok, my first question - The instructions say that only three builds will be scored if the builder chooses to build additional builds for their story. Does the builder get to choose which builds will be scored, or will it just be the first three, the best three (determined by a quick glance by a judge) or some other criteria?

You can choose the three you want scored. Remember one must be an interior!

Second, how do you want us to post these builds? As one post, many posts?

To make it easier on the judges, ONE post would be best. You can build it progressively if you like, but to make it easier on your judges and to follow the story, one "entry" post with everything in the first post would be best.

I believe many people are going to have a scene with some form of siege, i was wandering if a build that has a building in good condition in it in one picture and then siege weapons and damage in another would count as one or 2 builds?

Judges will score three builds, so if you build a before and after, you could say that is two of your three builds and have the scored, or you could choose only one of them to be scored. The pair of them will NOT be judged as one build.

I'll throw my questions in here: if I do say four builds - for judging, only three will be eligible, but any others will/could get free build points right? And what I was really getting at; voters (since I believe the rules stated that GoH members only would vote for their favorite story) will vote on - the entire thing, right (not just three builds)?

For scoring guild points, only three builds will be scored for the BUILD section of the scoring, but you can have other builds to enhance the STORY scoring and of course to determine the best story. This means the other builds will NOT get free build points, but CAN help you get story/presentation points in the challenge.

Whatever you want.

Not sure what this means, but the army/characters will have whatever significance you wish to place on them.

Your story. Get them there however you would like, or say why they aren't there. Whatever you want/ Maybe the siege layers brought the wood with them and built on sight. Maybe the enemy sabotaged all siege equipment. Whatever you come up with is cool with us. Whatever you want or don't want to say is fine.

It seems like a few people are trying to nail down details about Victor's residence, current locations, details about Cedrica. These are all going to depend on each person's entry, so it will vary from person to person.

It seems like a few people are trying to nail down details about Victor's residence, current locations, details about Cedrica. These are all going to depend on each person's entry, so it will vary from person to person.

Exactly. We saw Revolword take the throne room of the high king, but that doesn't mean he stayed there. Maybe he abondoned the castle for the Nocturnus swamps, or was killed in a coup by Rellik Nam. Maybe the hand corrupted Avalonia and he is in Albion. You decide.

I have a question :grin: One of the builds must be an interior, so I can't do a building with a full interior and have that count as the interior build? The interior build can't have an exterior?

Thanks for all the answers so far :classic:

I have a question :grin: One of the builds must be an interior, so I can't do a building with a full interior and have that count as the interior build? The interior build can't have an exterior?

Thanks for all the answers so far :classic:

Your interior build COULD have an exterior, but I think that would give you a sever disadvantage. If you are asking if you have a build with an exterior and a full interior, could they count as two separate builds, the answer is NO. That is ONE build and will be scored as only one build.

@ZCerberus: Thanks, I knew one build couldn't count as two, just wasn't sure if it would qualify for the interior or not.

Thanks again, now I have my plan :classic:

Z, thanks for all your inputs in this thread. Much appreciated.

:classic:

I have a question regarding the interior build

my plan was to build a scene with two walls and a base that shows the interior of a building, but now I am wondering if the intent is to build an entire building and have it with an interior, like a modular building.?

I thought of it more like two walls like your first comment. A whole building with an interior was NOT the intent, but it would be allowed. I think you'll score more points going that first route.

I thought of it more like two walls like your first comment. A whole building with an interior was NOT the intent, but it would be allowed. I think you'll score more points going that first route.

thanks Z, makes things a bit easier as I don't think my collection will allow me to do what I want and an entire building

Z -- the size limit is 48x48, but does that apply to just the three scored builds, or all builds in the story? I'm guessing just the three scored builds (hopefully), but I don't want to get disqualified if one of my story, non-scoring builds is too big. Thx.

Z -- the size limit is 48x48, but does that apply to just the three scored builds, or all builds in the story? I'm guessing just the three scored builds (hopefully), but I don't want to get disqualified if one of my story, non-scoring builds is too big. Thx.

You are correct. Only the three scored builds must meet this size restriction. You could have a larger story build, but if it were me, I would really focus on making the three builds awesome before tackling something larger. Also keep in mind that 48 x 48 stud area is the restriction, so non-square bases that meet that same size are okay too. 32 x 72 for example also meets the restriction.

You are correct. Only the three scored builds must meet this size restriction. You could have a larger story build, but if it were me, I would really focus on making the three builds awesome before tackling something larger. Also keep in mind that 48 x 48 stud area is the restriction, so non-square bases that meet that same size are okay too. 32 x 72 for example also meets the restriction.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm trying to decide whether to post my upcoming 64x64+ troop departure moc as part of the challenge or as a free build. It's part of the challenge story, but not essential to it, so I'll probably post it as a free build and then reference it in the challenge story (but not include any photos there).

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm trying to decide whether to post my upcoming 64x64+ troop departure moc as part of the challenge or as a free build. It's part of the challenge story, but not essential to it, so I'll probably post it as a free build and then reference it in the challenge story (but not include any photos there).

sorry if its been asked before, but is the use of non-lego string and fabric allowed in the challenge?