I got through the first two thirds of building, and I tested the drivetrain. The wheels are turning in opposite directions from each other, so the vehicle can't drive. I've tried flipping ad switching the motors and cables, but I can't find the problem. Any ideas?

Flip one differential. They should be both oriented to the same (left or right) side of the chassis.

62821.jpg62821.jpg

@ Snowbird: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: Notice that the two Differential Gears (the Dark Bluish Grey items centered between the sides of the wheels) need to face the SAME WAY, like this:

7905982510_817566d0b2_b.jpg

Lego should stop making these 4x4 or trucks with diffs in both rear axles... :D because always when these sets pop out to market, we get same kind of thread about drivetrain problems :D and please, take this post with bit of humor! I'm nobody to tell what to post, but quick peek in thread archive of drivetrain problems might help in first hand. Ofcourse the structure is diffirent in every set, but you can always apply the information in troupleshooting.

Lego should stop making these 4x4 or trucks with diffs in both rear axles... :D because always when these sets pop out to market, we get same kind of thread about drivetrain problems :D and please, take this post with bit of humor! I'm nobody to tell what to post, but quick peek in thread archive of drivetrain problems might help in first hand. Ofcourse the structure is diffirent in every set, but you can always apply the information in troupleshooting.

I guess Lego should emphasize more on this issue in the manual, since it is obviously not clear enough.

I will never place it incorrectly......again....since the Unimog :wink:

I won't do it again since the 8868! Well I was only 8 when I built it :laugh:

Gekke ted, when you did it in the unimog, shouldn't the middle diff have allowed it to still move but without the engine turning?

Yeah, i think that's what happened to mine. I put the 2 axles diffs the same way, which means that engine didn't turn.