Hi guys!

I was a bit unsure to post it before putting it in the car I'm building but:

here's my sequential gearbox based on sheepo's one...it's smaller, only 15x13 studs and it has the one way clutch to separate it from the engine.

At the moment it only has 3 gears + R because i had only 2 red gear selectors :P but you can easily extend it to 5 or more...

My aim was to make something small and light (as always lol)

Unfortunately i havent enough english skills to describe exactly how it works but it should be pretty clear :D

It has'nt the "snap" that the sheepo's version has, so you need to pay attention when you shift gears because you can get into the neutral...but I'll try to adapt it with servo motor to make it more precise...

though it's good enough.

I hope you like it and you'll be able to improve it for the community's benefit :)

-> some pictures to let you re-build it

n380hx.jpg

here's a detail of the "sled" used to move the yellow pins....

the white rim is the one way clutch (that i wrongly called "free wheel" lol)

14xkw7.jpg

312eogx.jpg

dqr8jr.jpg

anyway, the M motor can easily be placed somewhere else, that was the fastest option i choosed :P

hope this is gonna be useful for you all

SHARE OR DIE !!!

Edited by piterx

Cool stuff. The only thing missing now are either a LDD file or some kind of building instructions. I'd like to rebuild it. But re-engineer it from the pictured is quite hard.

yeah i know it...i'll try to dismount it as much as i can to let you rebuild it...im also gonna upload a video in one hour or two :) let me take the pictures of it....il get back in 10 minutes :)

can you make instructions please?

EDIT sorry double post

Edited by ciken

Unfortunately i havent enough english skills to describe exactly how it works but it should be pretty clear :D

I think you've overestimated me, cause I don't quite get how it works.

The motor drives the knob wheel.

This meshes with the blue axle pins pulling that along

The two cheese slopes push on some cams

The cams switch the gearboxes

Is that about right?

Thanks, I never really took the effort to understand how the Lego versions work, but this one is easy to understand indeed.

It's good that you decided to post it!

+pretty good photos!

I think you've overestimated me, cause I don't quite get how it works.

The motor drives the knob wheel.

This meshes with the blue axle pins pulling that along

The two cheese slopes push on some cams

The cams switch the gearboxes

Is that about right?

yeah the two slopes push the yellow pins and when they are pushed switch in a direction or in the other the levers that control the gears selector.

unfortunately i have no time to make instructions...i took some photos let me edit them and try to write something on them to make you re-build it :)

Nice, when I finish my car I will try to improve it for a large scale car, I used a gearbox with another type of clutch in my old R8 but I want to try this clutch and see its advantages. Community´s benefit well done :thumbup: .

that clutch works very well with every torque...but if you want to reinforce it, you could cut a 3 stud axle in 3 pieces and fill with a self made 1stud axle those holes, as sometimes they bend on theirselves...

Awesome 3 speed gear box. I definitely like this idea. What are the gear ratios?

im a bit ashamed about it ahaha...i dont know!, i only know that the third gear is 1:1 and the first is 8 teeth knob with the 24 teeth one...dunno about the second and the R gear :P sorry!

anyway im uploading a pack of images so you can download it

ok here's the download link

http://www.mediafire...5jkew38lqt3gsvc

there are only pictures...i hope they will help :) if you need something in particular ask me!

if you can't understand how gears are set, look at the sheepo's instructions on his site, it's pretty much the same except for the two 8 - 24 teeth gears outside the gearbox's head

Edited by piterx

ok the video is now aviable

i apologize for the poor quality of the video...im in a hurry...im gonna upload another one soon :)

These sequential gearboxes absolutely fascinate me. I don't know how well they would work in a fully built car, but none the less they are an amazing demonstration of engineering.

hmmm it's strange that goes so slow...probably for the high weight of the car....

i tested mine with an L motor moving only itself and it seemed good...i'll have to check how its gonna go when i'll add some weight

Looks fascinating and i really like to build this, just to see how it works. I still don't get it.

Nice work!

Nice job!!

Although it looks to me, you have to precisely control the manual movement on the remote lever, to let the gearbox to move only one speed at a time (either up or down).

As far as I remember, Sheepo gearboxes do not have this limitation, besides they are larger.

Please correct me if I got it wrong.

In the video you see me shifting from 1st gear to 3rd and that was my intention :P

it's true that it doesnt snap so good as the sheepo's version, but it's also true that you can shift very quickly from a gear to another...

we just need an idea to use it with a servo motor, that will solve every problem!

i'll try to think to something lol

Ok thanks!

I also love the fact that you have eliminated the rubber belts, as it seems. :classic:

Must try this at some point in time... :laugh:

Best,

yeah no rubber bands at all...there's a little bit of snap due to the knob gear...but it's not too much, we definitely need the servo eheh