gazumpty

MOD/MOC of 7744 Police Station - A work in progress

Well it's about time I started contributing more to EB, so here is my first attempt at a MOD? MOC? Im not particularly clear on the definition of MOCs and MODs (can the more experienced EB guys please clarify what this is after reading my post :classic: ). The story goes.....

After reading very good things about it on here, I was fortunate to pick up the 7744 Police Station (with 400 extra bricks :sweet: ) set on eBay, A wee Brickset picture to set the scene.

7744-1.jpg

To be honest I wasn't convinced about its styling and the general design and architecture of the set. After time spent building it to the original instrcutions, I could see the plus points of the station, with good playability (mini-prison, watch-tower, offices and garage space) and the abundance of pieces and mini-figs. Once built I wasn't happy! :sceptic:

I grew up with the classic town sets, where mini-figs could move between floors without stairs and the design bared no resemblance with 'real-world' buildings...but now (and I blame 10 years of Architecture for this) I want a little more substance. I do love the Modular sets and that particular style of building, but I wanted to first address this set and my classic town sets with some MOC/MOD before I move onto modular work.

Big shout out to 'lightningtiger' and his amazing work :wub: on 'New Mannum' for the inspiration to work at this scale and style.

So....apologies for the long winded scene setting intro....I began work on the 7744 police station set. As an architect, I felt I better address the building before I mess up the vehicles. :grin: Starting at Ground Level I wanted to address some issues I had with the standard kit:

- To create a main entrance to the police station.

- To contain the cells in a less 'prison-like' design (even though I do love the way the are done in the 7744).

- To maintain the open back and side access for playability

A note here, I love the use of a 32x32 and a 16x32 base plate to create the set, Something I'm hoping to add when I MOD/MOC my classic kits.

So on with the pictures.....

img_1401.jpg

FRONT VIEW OF GROUND FLOOR PLAN: Introduction of Entrance to the left and side entrance for the garage on the right. I maintained the 7744 garage set up and barrier access.

img_1402.jpg

GROUND FLOOR LEFT VIEW: The 1x1 space is left for external signage, however I may remove the fence piece adjacent to create something more substantial.

img_1404.jpg

ENTRANCE CLOSE UP: I felt the main entrance required a more substantial step to define it from the building line, without being too modular. The technic 1x4s are in preparation for some signs. Though I'm open to less blocky techniques and suggestions?

img_1406.jpg

ENTRANCE INTERIOR: My first issue here is purely my architectural brain pestering me. I don't like my window head heights not lining through with the head of the doors, but to maintain the black single course, I think I'll raise the internal floor level (apart from the garage) by a brick. This will allow for a nice entrance step into the station and floor to ceiling glazing

:wub: . This space in the next stage will also be split by a reception/arresting sergeant desk with a potential double height space over the reception.

img_1407.jpg

HOLDING CELL INTERIOR: I wanted to bring the cells inside, therefore I created a larger 2-3 person holding cell. On reflection I may reintroduce the grey panels for the walls, to visually separate where the police work (white walls) and the naughty lego crims go

:tongue: (grey).

img_1408.jpg

SECURITY DOOR: This part will separate the reception/sergeants desk space with the main station. I wanted to have a CCTV controlled/Metal Detector here. I quickly popped the 7744 CCTV camera into place and its a wee bit...whats the word....HUMUNGOUS!!

:grin: I'll have a crack at understating its presence when I work up the interiors. I do love the weird and quirky world of Lego Scale :look:

img_1410.jpg

REAR VIEW OF GROUND FLOOR PLAN: The area to the left of the cells will hopefully develop into my vertical circulation space, up to the First Floor where the real police work is done! The small space to the left of the garages will develop into the vehicle maintenance room.

Well there you have it so far, Stage 2 will follow fairly quickly as Im now obsessed with Lego again :grin: but I look for advice and comment on some of the more glaring errors of judgement, as you know we architects love to be told our designs are rubbish :devil: . I look forward to the EB input!!

Nice work on the mod gazumpty. I admit Iam not to fond of the way TLG has been designing their PD's with the cells on the outside. Not to mention all that vacant space below. You've made some great changes so far to optimize this space. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress :classic:

About the window not lining up with the doors; have you considered using a 5 brick high window frame with glass instead?

I did consider a different frame, but partly down to using the pieces provided and maintaining the black brick coursing, im going to try the internal floor lift :classic:

Hey, that's a great looking start you've got there, I think you're right in considering another brick level under the doorway area with steps up - that would give the imposing entrance that you architect-types crave ( :wink: ) and enable you to line up the top of the windows to the door frame.

Do you yet have an idea as to whether you're going to do a second floor and what the roof?

Thanks for sharing it with us and do see a lot of Bricklink orders in your future!

Do you yet have an idea as to whether you're going to do a second floor and what the roof?

Well my next step is going to be fleshing out the Ground Level and messing about with the interiors and fine tuning my lego-brain :tongue: but I do intend to have the Police operation on the second level and include a 'double height' space to the reception/entrance. The roof im not too sure at the moment - Im thinking possibly a flat roof with a parapet...maybe access for a helicopter landing pad (though not really keeping in tune with my 'real-life/classic town' approach!)

This is really my pre-amble for the MOD/MOC-ing of my Classic Town Sets...once I have restored them and reviewed them for EB and the Reviewers Academy.

6392-1.jpg6380-1.jpg

6385-1.jpg6381-1.jpg

This police station is going good so far 'gazumpty'. I like the idea of incorporating the cells on the inside. The one thing I hate about LEGO's police stations is that the cells are outdoors... Keep going, I want to see the rest!

Judging by your childhood set collections I'd suggest we are of similar ages and I look forward to seeing the outcome of these. I love the Police station and some observations I would make (since I know modern police stations very well) are that you could use a small black dome assembly for CCTV coverage into custody as that's what they look like now. Also how about an enquiry office with public access through the two front windows changing for a door. That way the Lego general public can come in and report things, you would need to make it secure though. If not how do members of the public come in? Maybe an outside telephone near the barrier or wall? Look forward to next levels.

Looking good so far!! (much better than the original) I like the layout - looking forward to seeing more!!

img_1404.jpg

That's a nice start to your MOD, gazumpty! It already looks more realistic than the 7744. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

Please would you identify the grey piece that holds the overhead lights in this picture? I can't find it in the Bricklink inventory of 7744. Thanks.

Excellent work so far 'gazumpty', only suggestion use some half techpins and 1x4/1x8 tiles above the doorways on the outside over the techbricks. :classic:

Oh, I think it's a nice touch a toilet roll holder in the cell......writing stationary for writing to their legal teams eh ? :laugh:

Keep going 'gazumpty' and Brick On ! :classic:

This work looks really promising, gazumpty. It's quite interesting to see such a MOD(ification) of the police station. I might get some inspiration for a further wing to my own police station which I am planning.

Regarding your architectural problems with the doors and windows, have you been thinking about putting black bricks above the door? It might give an impression that the door is at the same height as the windows. The only thing is that it will also make the outside construction for the sign look more heavy.

img_1406.jpg

ENTRANCE INTERIOR: My first issue here is purely my architectural brain pestering me. I don't like my window head heights not lining through with the head of the doors, but to maintain the black single course, I think I'll raise the internal floor level (apart from the garage) by a brick. This will allow for a nice entrance step into the station and floor to ceiling glazing

:wub: . This space in the next stage will also be split by a reception/arresting sergeant desk with a potential double height space over the reception.

Righto...first many thanks to those who have left comment...all have been taken on board. :blush: Now onto the order of business, a wee update on some build progress. Due to my participation in some football (soccer to you non-EU's :tongue: ) training last night, I was only able to spare an hour on some rebuilding and design. So I focused it on the internals of the Ground Floor and in particular the Reception (Public Inquiries) and Arresting Sergeants Desk. Apologies to all the Policemen n women on EB if my accuracy of Police Stations is a wee bit off (any advice especially from Legobobby is always wanted). On with the pictures....

img_1416.jpg

INTERNAL RECEPTION: I decided to raise the internal floor level by 1 brick and soon as I make the final BrickLink order for tiles n stuff, the finished floor level will sit flush with the door and window frames. Some internal greenery to soften the tougher edges of the law

:sweet: and a simple seating arrangement for those Lego citizens waiting to assist the law or bail out a loved one. The partitioned area provides support for the future second floor mezzanine level and double height space.

img_1418.jpg

SERGEANTS DESK: Some extra detailing added here, nice big flat screen for info streaming and CCTV footage from around the station. I may add one into the public reception to keep the lego guys occupied while waiting. A wee view into the cells to keep order, though Im not sure how practical this will be if you have a rowdy inmate

:devil: . The computer design is pinched from the 7744 set and you can also just see the coded entry system to the secure area beyond.

img_1419.jpg

INTERIOR TO SECURE AREA: On advice from 'Legobobby' I've added a more contemporary spherical CCTV unit above the door (grey at the moment as thats the only piece I have until BrickLink).

img_1420.jpg

To test all my designs I enrolled the brave law enforcers of my Lego collection to pose for some candid snaps. Here is the Arresting Sergeant dealing with the newest visitor to the station, securing his hat and offending weapon for safe keeping during his stay

:tongue: .

As always EB I love to hear your feedback and advice....till Monday peeps, where I should get some time this weekend to progress further :grin:

That's very very accurate for a police station enquiry office and custody desk. I really like what you've done and the new CCTV is just how it should be. Let's be honest Lego criminals aren't violent or nasty, just a little mischievous. Look forward to more updates.

I think it is accurate, 'gazumpty'. But that pad lock piece in the door is a bit smashed :look: Better replace that. Anyway, keep going!

Edited by LegofreakKO345

Hi gazumpty! Loving the work with the Police Station! Just a word of caution, make sure your roof is high enough to garage your vehicles. I found with mine that I had to raise the roof by two bricks to garage the brawler, due to the spot light on top. (I've included a link to my Bricklink site to show this http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=297498). I don't know why Lego continue to do this; as this vehicle was part of the overall Police set release for the year.

img_1418.jpg

I have an idea that you could use in place of that huge globe and the other CCTV camera you posted in the entrance.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=1340&colorID=12

Would be used like this:

bDQAU.png

The same could be done with one of these:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=58176

But you would need to paint or Sharpie one black

It would give an appearance like this security camera and give you more wall space:

7p4e3.jpg

Thanks everyone for their great feedback and comments :sweet: it warms the wee plastic bricks that make up my heart :grin: . Anyway....I have developed the building over the weekend we had there, and after a good marathon session on Sunday (where I developed a syndrome that I am naming 'Lego Legs' - where the legs go numb from sitting and you can only stand up like a mini-fig :wink: ) I feel I've exhausted my own brick resource and the final touches will have to be completed after a good ol' BrickLink order.

Here are a few more 'candid' snap shots from some of the rooms in the station.

img_1437.jpg

2 FAST NOT SO FURIOUS: The newest arrival to the Station regrets test driving his new Creator Car in this town!

img_1479.jpg

'FESS UP CRIM': Our ever smiling copper (to be honest he's a bit too happy for my liking) tries to get the truth out of this suspect. Though wearing a full Prisoner outfit, he's not helping his chances of pleading innocent.

img_1480.jpg

CSI LEGO: No worries here though as they Police Station has its own Forensics lab to uncover even the tinniest shred of evidence!

Well thats about it for now, I'll take some general progress pictures later to show you guys how the overall building is panning out. Then it will be the BrickLink wait until the grand unveiling. Until then, please fill this thread with any creative ideas or designs that I could ...steal...ahem....borrow :blush: for the final building! Anything you would like to see me attempt to incorporate also.

See you Legoguys!

Edited by gazumpty

You know the Stig never talks ! :laugh:

I like the crime lab......I wonder how they finger print minifigs ? :laugh:

Again keep up the cool work 'gazumpty'.......and Brick On ! :classic:

Good morning EB and all you AFOL :grin: ...I've just finished off the second stage of my Police Station MOD of the 7744 set. I feel it's more verging towards a full on MOC now with a few ideas pinched from the original set. My own lego stock has been exhausted in getting it this far and I am now going to pull together a BrickLink order to complete it to its full glory. Ill explain in my pictures.......

img_1504.jpg

OVERALL: I have fully completed the second floor and roof, while fleshing out the main design I tried to maintain the simplistic lines that the classic sets are known for. I'm a wee bit unsure about the yellow grill details and the 1x1 round studs on the roof parapets I think I was worried about the mono-nature of the building and tried to break it up a little. The eagle eyed will spot the missing windows...sigh....I ran out! On a side note, Im looking for advice/ideas for the external work?

img_1503.jpg

ROOF DETAIL: I added some simple roof windows, AC units and the communication dishes and aerials.

img_1488.jpg

ENTRANCE: Raising the internal floor level to a brick has allowed me to make the entrance more prominent and add some steps up to the main door.

img_1491.jpg

RECEPTION: The Public reception is located in a double height space with the arresting sergeants desk located below the floor above.

img_1493.jpg

CELLS/STAIRS: The stairs to the floor above are flanked by a double height glass wall, a feature in the police station, a wee architectural flourish

:tongue:

img_1494.jpg

STAIR FROM ABOVE: This view shows the extent of the glass wall and how it relates to the first floor. Spot the pesky grey pieces instead of black...sigh.

img_1496.jpg

POLICE DESKS: The working area of the force, I'll be replacing those blank 2x2 tiles for printed screens.

img_1497.jpg

CONTROL DESK: Sophisticated operations desk linked directly to satellite

:tongue:

img_1498.jpg

CHIEF'S OFFICE: Its a bit sparse at the moment but will be pimped out on the next BrickLink order.

img_1499.jpg

UPPER FLOOR: This shows the view that the Chief has out of his office.

img_1500.jpg

INTERVIEW ROOM: I'm not totally happy with this room, a wee rethink is needed...any ideas?

img_1501.jpg

FORENSICS LAB VIEW 1: This is my favourite room in the station as I was able to design some interesting forensic lab scientific equipment. Also i had to throw in the old school phone from a classic police bike set I have

:sweet:

img_1502.jpg

FORENSICS LAB VIEW 2: The rest of the stations and equipment to help catch those pesky lego criminals!

Well there you have it so far. I may do some tinkering here and there but the next update will be the finished build, and I reckon it will more likely be a MOC as the original 7744 is now long gone. Also the vehicles will require some work :sceptic: not really the forte of an architect :sweet: . Please leave any comments and advice/ideas and we can have a chat!

Edited by gazumpty

Thanks lightningtiger. By the way while your still kicking about here, I love what you do on your 'New Mannum' work and the scale and layout is very similar to what i want to achieve with my MOD/MOC work. Do you have any suggestions on how best to approach the external landscaping as Im not a fan of leaving all the surfaces with studs where you can avoid it?