Sign in to follow this  
jedikermit

[MOC] LDD Superman's Fortress of Solitude

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my latest LDD MOC: Superman's Fortress of Solitude. I tried to combine elements of the Fortress of Solitude as seen in the movies and "Smallville," so it has a crystalline exterior--but also put in features seen in the cartoons and comic books. So there are things like a shrine to Krypton, Kal-El's "Baby Rocket," a trophy room, and a Kryptonite vault. I added some minifigs and a villain attack vehicle to make it more like a "real LEGO set," and after getting encouragement from some friends, decided to put it up on CUUSOO. If you're interested you can check it out--link is in my signature. Anyway, here are some pics:

Fortress1_zps96b3e899.jpg

fortress2_zps6b54dbe8.jpg

Oops. It'd be these characters:

Superman (just a standard Superman)

"Arctic Lois Lane" -- a Lois that's in a parka and cold weather gear

Krypto -- same sculpt as the current dogs, but with some kind of cape--for the LDD model I just put a 1x2 red tile on his back

Superman Robot -- in the comics at times Superman had sort of butler/caretaker robots that guarded the Fortress while he was gone; this would be one of those. Just like Superman, but with a metallic face or something to distinguish him if you look close enough

The two villains would be Metallo and Brainiac -- the storyline has them using Brainiac's "Skull Sled" to attack the Fortress and steal the Bottle City of Kandor. Because stealing miniaturized cities is fun. :) There are pictures of the Skull Sled at the CUUSOO proposal, wasn't sure if I should post them here or not.

Edited by jedikermit

Thanks man--I'm still making some adjustments and improvements to it, so if you/anyone has any feedback about how to make it better, let me know!

I'm not crazy about the "S" symbol on the floor, and I think it coult stand a hinge system that would let it split in the middle and open for easier access to the interior around the pointy towers.

Having said that, I would totes buy this set as-is.

The pointy towers aren't attached to the main structure of the Fortress itself, so they can be positioned in various ways. I agree about the S symbol on the floor, but felt like it needed some more color, and some sort of Superman symbol as a part of it. Ideally, I'd have a printed tile piece that has a big ol' "S" on it, and have the "S" on that red banner hanging down by the Krypton shrine too...but those are both harder to do in LDD than in my dumb little sketches that keep me "busy" in meetings. :)

Thanks for the feedback--I do like the hinged idea too...hmmm...

BTW, love your He-Man, Thundercats, and GI Joe in your sig...makes me want to get in on that. Ugh. More toys! :)

Thanks!

And you just made me realize I need to retake that pic with the Official Raphael.

*changes sig and avatar*

Good luck with the FoS!

Edited by Hobbestimus

That's pretty cool!

Even though it's awesome, It looks a bit odd with the Superman symbol.

Correct me if i'm wrong but in the Classic Superman movies the FOS wasn't so cozy It wasn't awful either, It just wasn't bursting in color like your model shows.

The build is great anyway for a younger target group :blush:

Thanks for the feedback Nuffsaid; I'm trying to combine elements from the comic books and cartoons, which do have a very colorful Fortress of Solitude, with the icy crystal one from the movies. And yeah, I'm aiming for something to be produced as an actual playset for kids, not just an architecture piece. Although that'd be cool too. ;)

A Great Idea for a set, I really like the Minifigures you Chose and the set design, I have a few suggestions,

1.is this the front view if so, maybe add a door way

2.isn't the S symbol some times silver-white, I think that would look better and less colorfull

3.I think the sled should be changed to a ship/robot

4.maybe you should lose the superman robot for gerell(sorry if I spelt his name wrong)

Thanks for the feedback Nuffsaid; I'm trying to combine elements from the comic books and cartoons, which do have a very colorful Fortress of Solitude, with the icy crystal one from the movies. And yeah, I'm aiming for something to be produced as an actual playset for kids, not just an architecture piece. Although that'd be cool too. ;)

Oh I didn't know it was for cuusoo :P well good job anyway! :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by NuffSaid1996

A Great Idea for a set, I really like the Minifigures you Chose and the set design, I have a few suggestions,

1.is this the front view if so, maybe add a door way

2.isn't the S symbol some times silver-white, I think that would look better and less colorfull

3.I think the sled should be changed to a ship/robot

4.maybe you should lose the superman robot for gerell(sorry if I spelt his name wrong)

Thanks for the suggestions, Dr. Cogg! I love the idea of including Jor-El (Supermans Kryptonian Dad) in the set--it'd be awesome if LEGO could do a transparent blue minifig of him, like a ghost or hologram thing.