http://www.polygon.c...daptations-from

3 titles:

• LEGO Legends of Chima: Speedorz, which is by TT Games and 4T2 and will be online and in the iOS app store tomorrow. Racing/battle themed.
  • LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey, which will be released for PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS in the summer and Nintendo DS in the fall.
  • LEGO Legends of Chima Online, a free-to-play online game by WB Games Montreal.

I guess Legends of Chima video games were a bit of a foregone conclusion, but it's still a surprise to see just how many games are planned. Not sure what to expect of the third title, but as far as the first two are concerned, TT Games and 4T2 have offered up quality LEGO gaming in the past, so I expect great things.

As do I. I'm very surprised at this though. I wasn't expecting games this soon.

EDIT: Meiko dropped the press release (linked below) in the LoC thread in the Action Theme Forum. Aparently the three games can interact with a "Chima Vault" that earns rewards for you in the F2PMMO by earning points in the handheld game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/02/lego-legends-of-chima-builds-a-new-world-across-three-games/

Edited by Penkid11

I hereby dub this MMO LEGO Universe: Furry Edition. :tongue:

It does sound like it could be fun, though I am a bit surprised they're trying to tackle two MMOs at once (the other being Funcom's Minifigures MMO), especially since their last attempt fell flat.

I'm not sure what to expect from the Speedorz game. I do like racing games, and 4T2 created one of my favorite LEGO.com games (Crystalien Conflict), so it sounds like it could be good - I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Laval's Journey... Eh, I was hoping for a LEGO Battles: Chima type game, but this could be fun too. Maybe enough to convince me to finally get a modern handheld system, I suppose my Game Boy Color is a bit outdated...

Is it just me or does the "free-to-play" LEGO Legends of Chima Online not sound like a MMO (and whatever happened to the G or am I thinking about the wrong abreviation?)? In general I know very little about such things; the only MMOG I ever played was the Free to play LEGO Universe, and the only Video Game the LEGO Pirates of the Carribean Demo... (except for a few hours at someone else's house) - I prefer spending my money and time with real bricks rather than virtual ones, but I can see the appeal. Anyway, what I was getting at is that it sounds more like a pretty extensive online game but with no interaction between "members", just with different charcters from Chima (computer based). Bassically just a bit more than previous games LEGO has had on their website. I could certainly be wrong; would anyone be willing to tell me what this is?

Is it just me or does the "free-to-play" LEGO Legends of Chima Online not sound like a MMO (and whatever happened to the G or am I thinking about the wrong abreviation?)?

Well, the game is called "LEGO Legends of Chima Online" for starters, the "Online" bit is very common in MMO names, LEGO Universe was even called "LEGO Worlds Online" early in development. Also, looking at the official press release...

In Fall 2013, LEGO® Legends of Chima™ Online, a free-to-play, online world developed by WB Games Montréal, will provide kids with a safe and incredibly immersive connected game experience.

Free-to-play is usually, but not always, associated with MMOs. The fact that they point out it's safe implies there will be some form of interaction between players, as does "connected game experience".

Is it just me or does the "free-to-play" LEGO Legends of Chima Online not sound like a MMO (and whatever happened to the G or am I thinking about the wrong abreviation?)? In general I know very little about such things; the only MMOG I ever played was the Free to play LEGO Universe, and the only Video Game the LEGO Pirates of the Carribean Demo... (except for a few hours at someone else's house) - I prefer spending my money and time with real bricks rather than virtual ones, but I can see the appeal. Anyway, what I was getting at is that it sounds more like a pretty extensive online game but with no interaction between "members", just with different charcters from Chima (computer based). Bassically just a bit more than previous games LEGO has had on their website. I could certainly be wrong; would anyone be willing to tell me what this is?

Other sites' news stories about the games confirm that LEGO Legends of Chima Online is an MMO.

As for why the G is dropped, it's just a way of abbreviating it further, since it's already been established we're talking about games. You can call it MMOG if you like; I think both abbreviations are accepted.

As a fan of Lego Universe, I'm quite interested in what this Chima MMOG will bring. I really want to play as a Raven.

But I wonder what sort of story it'll have... And when it'll be released.

Kalhiki

It's funny that only Lego Universe players have commented on here so far...

I thought a Chima MMO would happen, and It could be pulled off really well.

Laval's Journey sounds interesting, and has potential. Good thing I got my son a 3DS for Christmas :laugh:

I saw that video earlier today, certainly caused quite a stir in the LU community. Seems the video uploader has an uncle who works for LEGO and was able to get into the closed alpha/beta test - whatever state the game is in now.

Some things of note... The music in the second area is originally from LEGO Universe, from the Gnarled Forest area. Also, the appearance of another player towards the end of the video (who uses the chat to say "hello") confirms this is an actual MMO.

Oh, and in a chat with a friend of mine, the video uploader confirmed that the game is browser-based. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it runs on the Unity engine, which has also been used for browser-based MMOs like FusionFall, and I think even Battlestar Galactica Online.

Edited by jamesster

Anyone going to try to nag LEGO for a beta invite for the Chima MMO

I talked to Jim Foulds on Facebook. He's working on getting a few beta accounts for some staff at The Chima Wiki, including myself. I don't know about other people though, since you'll probably need a reason for wanting the beta accounts.

Remember to share screenshots and videos if you do snag those Beta codes!

Edited by Penkid11

Remember to share screenshots and videos if you do snag those Beta codes!

Sure thing! I won't be sharing it any time soon however, since the codes are licensed to The Chima Wiki. As a privately held organization, The Chima Wiki is not able to upload any unreleased or non-free content without fair use being given by the copyright holder. Since I am getting these accounts from a contact at the LEGO Group, I will not be able to get permission from the copyright holder, which would be Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. I will be legally allowed to share video recordings and screenshots of the beta when the beta period is over, and the game is available to the public.

Sorry I wasn't able to clarify in the first revision to this post. I was on my phone at lunch with some friends, and was distracted.

Edited by Meiko

I wouldn't do that if I were you. There's a non-disclosure agreement tied to the beta, and a friend of mine who tried uploading gameplay videos he recorded to YouTube (not the same videos or person mentioned earlier in this topic) had his beta account terminated, and the videos removed with a copyright claim - all within about a day of uploading them.

With the LEGO Universe alpha and beta tests, people were free to take screenshots and record videos all they wanted - they simply weren't allowed to share any information about the game (including those sreenshots and videos) until the beta ended and the game was released. I took over 1,000 screenshots of LEGO Universe during alpha and beta testing, as well as several video recordings, and they're certainly handy now for documenting changes made to the game during that time. But, if I had published those screenshots and videos before the time came, chances are I would have been booted out of testing.

So yes, take screenshots and videos, they will be quite helpful later for people documenting early designs for the game and such. Just don't share them publicly until permission is given.

Edited by jamesster

Oh yeah, copyright and all that. You would've thought I would remember that about LU Beta. Well, here's to hoping LoC beta will be made as available.

who should i contact to try to get a beta account for Chima Online.

Somebody you have close relations to at LEGO or Warner Entertainment.

Somebody you have close relations to at LEGO or Warner Entertainment.

And that would be where I am at a loss. :cry_sad:

I would love to participate in another Beta again!