07jkearney

Mindstorms NXT motor and PF IR Receiver Compatibility

Today I wired up a mindstorms nxt motor to a Power Functions IR Receiver; but was concerned for the health of the motor and wondered if anyone could verify the safety of the setup.

tn_sam_1319.jpg

Above are the components I used, from left to right; A standard battery box loaded with rechargeable batteries, a power functions extension wire, a conversion wire for using old RCX sensors with the newer mindstorms set, an IR receiver V1, I also used an NXT motor (not pictured).

Below is how I set it all up:

tn_sam_1323.jpg

The NXT motor responded to commands exactly as a power functions motor would, when receiving commands from the standard remote, rotating both forwards and backwards. I only tested it for a few seconds as I didn't want to risk damaging any components.

The two questions I wondered if anyone could answer are:

1) Is it safe; will I damage any of my parts by doing this?

2) If yes, can someone test its response to the speed control remote? (I sadly so not own it)

Many thanks, and look out for my upcoming MOCs thread,

07jkearney

@ 07jkearney: Your setup is perfectly safe. I've done a similar setup before, and one can be assured by this answer to "Frequently Asked Question" 10 on PowerFunctions.Lego.com :

"10. Can I use Power Functions with the MINDSTORMS NXT?

Yes. With 8886 Power Functions Extension Wire or 8871 Power Functions Extension Wire 20”and the MINDSTORMS 8528 - NXT Converter Cable you can incorporate Power Functions elements with the NXT."

If you want to be adventuresome, you could try Philo's "Power Functions NXT Remote Control" setup: pfn1-v.jpg

You can use either the standard Power Functions (PF) Remote Controller or the 8879 PF Speed Control Remote, modified with a steering wheel as Sariel did. Your setup should not care either way.

img_2038.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I would have defined my setup more as using Mindstorms elements with power functions rather than "Power Functions with the MINDSTORMS NXT" But thanks for the fast answer, do you think the motor would respond to commands from the speed remote?

Dint think thay did.. Wanted to control some PF motors with a NXT

there are a few NXT to PF-IR sensors, using this you can send commands to the IR receivers to make the motor s do what you like? would that work for you

Not shore. Hear ppl say that there will be a new Mindstorms this year. If so maybe it will work with PF motors.

If u use NXT on TT, is it more powerful than xl-motor or buggy motor?

NXT motor is a bit more down-geared than XL motor (so it has a little more torque and is a bit slower), but they share the same core motor, so available mechanical power is roughly the same. Buggy motor is significantly more powerful. For more details, see my motor comparison page...