Multiverse

Old and interesting Lego

This christmas we had my grandparents over (we had a nice christmas, thank you for asking), and they brought with them something they'd asked whether I wanted - a box of my dad's old Lego. I realise that many members on this site might just be around the age of my dad, so I thought I'd take a few photos to hear whether anyone knew of the pieces in there, and perhaps if anyone had something interesting to say about them.

8331049216_bb0631f808.jpg

(Photo links to set on Flickr).

Thanks for reading. =)

Regarding your baseplates....

Red Baseplate came from 358-1 Rocket Base, released in 1973. Bricklink Link

The very top green one is Set 340-3: Railroad Control Tower, released in 1968.

The far right green (longer baseplate) is 341-1: Warehouse, released in 1968.

Finally, the far left one is part of 345-1: House with Mini Wheel Car, released in 1969.

Regarding why, my guess would be the outline of where to put your bricks instead of having to count manually.

Well I guess I can be thankful that you didn't say that it belonged to your grandfather.... lol....

This is all LEGO of my childhood.... (long ago)... and you do have many rare baseplates and parts....

It looks as though you have the parts for a 310 Esso Service Station (I didn't see the Esso printed brick, freestanding sign or gas pumps (under 1:87 heading in Bricklink parts)... one of the rarest parts I see is the garage parts... 820, 821, 822 (variations) under parts in Bricklink. The white garage door (counter to what Bricklink says)... was only found in earlier (1956-63) Esso Service Station sets (1310, 310) or early (1950s) 700 wooden box sets, or early (1950s) garage parts packs (1235, 235) or early (1950s) garage sets (1236, 236).

The suitcase type carrying case with the Swedish writing on the inside dates to the mid 1960s, and was numbered 710... but yours was a Swedish one (I have a 1965 Swedish catalog that lists it for 65 Swedish Krona)...

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?S=710-2

Edited by LEGO Historian