In terms of gear/axle linkage complexity and usage of space, a 4-way gearbox in the turntable would be good, but not particulary impressive for such a big set. The 5-axle, 7 studs tall chassis probably contains 3-4 functions (steering, engine, stabilizers and maybe turntable).. not really challenging to incorporate? It seems like it's a bit better than 8421 at least, which was awful in the complexity sense. For me, when building sets, It's nirvana when it's so complicated I feel the designer has torn out all his hair in the frustration of all the unsuccessful attempts before finally finding a way to make it all come together. Then I don't care if it doesn't lift very much or dig very well.

I love the complexity as well, too bad one of the selection criteria is that it must be able to be built by a 16 year old... I guess if i think the stuff they release is complex to me, i must not be that great at it though.

Why are you still spamming with this useless informations?We dont have delorean to go to future!

My bad :) I'm just excited too see them and a delorean would be cool because then we could of went to the future and told lego not to use la,s on the crane :)

Why are you still spamming with this useless informations?We dont have delorean to go to future!

Aw he's just making conversation. When your missus asks you hows your day been do you ask her to stop spamming you with useless informations? :laugh:

Aw he's just making conversation. When your missus asks you hows your day been do you ask her to stop spamming you with useless informations? :laugh:

Thanks Allan, these newbies are getting very cheeky :)

My bad :-/ next time I rather ignore dukes of eurobricks , but isnt fair to tell somebody that is newbie dear davidmull.

And now i stop spamming this thread.

Edited by Ondra

In terms of gear/axle linkage complexity and usage of space, a 4-way gearbox in the turntable would be good, but not particulary impressive for such a big set. The 5-axle, 7 studs tall chassis probably contains 3-4 functions (steering, engine, stabilizers and maybe turntable).. not really challenging to incorporate? It seems like it's a bit better than 8421 at least, which was awful in the complexity sense. For me, when building sets, It's nirvana when it's so complicated I feel the designer has torn out all his hair in the frustration of all the unsuccessful attempts before finally finding a way to make it all come together. Then I don't care if it doesn't lift very much or dig very well.

I know what you mean. That's why 8043, 8258 and even 8265 are among my favourite sets.

It would be pretty cool if the motor is actually located in the chassis, with double axles through the turntable (one that connects the motor and the gearbox and one that goes in the opposite direction that connects the gearbox and the stabilizers). It might seem like stupid design idea to make it this way, but it would allow you to put both the ugly battery box and the motor the chassi without having to worry about the cables. It would also lower the center of mass considerable.

Also, there's hopefully some nice mechanism that lowers the stabilizers automatically.

The battery box can act as a counterweight. In a crane, that is smart. Count on it the motor is in the superstructure.

Guys what's the toy fair where we will get some proper info and pictures and when is it on? Am I rite saying nurberg in early February ?

The battery box can act as a counterweight. In a crane, that is smart. Count on it the motor is in the superstructure.

Yeah, and it works that way on the other cranes. That's the most logical way to do it. But not necessarily the most fun. :)

I really like what I can see so far, you figure the 8421 came out in 05 this will be 8 years after it. I think things have changed a lot since then, and its gonna be a big improvement over the 8421, but that's not to say the 8421 is gonna loose it's appeal. I have 2 of them, and when this baby comes out I might have to get a couple copies of it also, LOL.

Dan

Well, I'm mostly pleased what I've seen from the 2h preliminary images so far (even if there is nothing really new). It is going to be a good year for us and a bad year for our wallets. :classic:

I probably like the 42008 Service Truck the best from the list because of it's rare green colour and it not only contains an L motor but also pneumatic. I hope there are a few cylinders and even a compressor system in it so that would be a fascinating set. In my opinion strong usage of pneumatic would generate very high demand for this set among the medium sized Technic models. :thumbup: On the other hand it would make this beauty quite expensive...

I defenitely like the flagship 42009 Crane Truck as well. It is so massive with 10 wheels and looks like the real thing. The "H" shaped gear box must be complex to carry out all the 4 motorized functions (hook, extend boom, raise boom, outriggers). :thumbup: I hope they managed to do better outriggers than were on 8258 and you don't have to fasten each of them by hand (unfortunately it is not very likely :sceptic: ). I also hope that there is at least a gear system to rotate the superstructure (rotating directly by hand was the only thing I didn't like on 8421). 4 axle steering is a must in this scale and fake engine is welcome. Markus Kossman is one of my all time favourite designers at LEGO and I'm sure he managed to put some interesting solutions into the mobile crane we can not see from a low resolution picture. I believe we will get better pictures in early February from Nuremberg toy fair as usual. The only preverse thing regarding 42009 is the usage of LAs instead of the more authentic pneumatic system. :thumbdown: I agree with Davidmull that this would have been a great occasion to introduce bigger and stronger pneumatic cylinders (locking elements could have been added easily to keep the boom in high position)...maybe next time. I admit that LAs have some advantages but are not as cool as pneumatic cylinders.

Finally congratulations to all the Technic Challange finalists! You made awesome models guys. :thumbup: There are some of my favourites on the final list as far as I know. This will probably be the third set I will buy from the 2013 Technic product range.

Edited by Interceptor

Does antone know why there are so many elements displayed at the lower right corner of the 42009 box? The part where all the power function modules are placed?

I'm tempted to think that it is remote controlled...

With 2 receivers and possibly a engineered construction for the remote?

I think I see:

2 receivers (at the left top)

1 batterybox (at the left bottom)

1 XL motor (at the right middle)

something grey (at the right bottom)

something yellow (at the left middle)

It doesn't really make sense though, too few motors, too many receivers.

But, suppose it has the same functionality as the 8043... :wub: :wub:

Assuming mechanism is in the main vehicle, only two functions can pass through the turntable...

A1 boom up/down

A2 boom in/out

B1 riggers

B2 rotate superstructure

hmm :sad: still no need for 2 receivers...

special elements to get 3 functions through the turntable? :drool:

A3 cable in/out

B3 drive

C1 steer

Hmm..., I only see a baterybox and a Motor.. ( maybe a L or an XL).. but i don't see two receivers on the box.. :look:

Edit: I think it is a part of the outtrigger..

Edited by _techniclego55_

Does antone know why there are so many elements displayed at the lower right corner of the 42009 box? The part where all the power function modules are placed?

I'm tempted to think that it is remote controlled...

With 2 receivers and possibly a engineered construction for the remote?

I think I see:

2 receivers (at the left top)

1 batterybox (at the left bottom)

1 XL motor (at the right middle)

something grey (at the right bottom)

something yellow (at the left middle)

It doesn't really make sense though, too few motors, too many receivers.

But, suppose it has the same functionality as the 8043... :wub: :wub:

Assuming mechanism is in the main vehicle, only two functions can pass through the turntable...

A1 boom up/down

A2 boom in/out

B1 riggers

B2 rotate superstructure

hmm :sad: still no need for 2 receivers...

special elements to get 3 functions through the turntable? :drool:

A3 cable in/out

B3 drive

C1 steer

1 BB, 1 motor, 1 switch.

4 motorized functions (2 LA's, extend boom, cable, outriggers).

4 axle steering. fake engine on middle axle. Manual rotating structure.

Next. -_-

Well, I'm mostly pleased what I've seen from the 2h preliminary images so far (even if there is nothing really new). It is going to be a good year for us and a bad year for our wallets. :classic:

I probably like the 42008 Service Truck the best from the list because of it's rare green colour and it not only contains an L motor but also pneumatic. I hope there are a few cylinders and even a compressor system in it so that would be a fascinating set. In my opinion strongly use of pneumatic would generate very high demand for this set among the mid-range Technic models. :thumbup: On the other hand it would make this beauty quite expensive...

I defenitely like the flagship 42009 Crane Truck as well. It is so massive with 10 wheels and looks like the real thing. The "H" shaped gear box must be complex to carry out all the 4 motorized functions (hook, extend boom, raise boom, outriggers). :thumbup: I hope they managed to do better outriggers than were on 8258 and you don't have to fasten each of them by hand (unfortunately it is not very likely :sceptic: ). I also hope that there is at least a gear system to rotate the superstructure (rotating directly by hand was the only thing I didn't like on 8421). 4 axle steering is a must in this scale and dummy motor is welcome. Markus Kossman is one of my all time favourite designers at LEGO and I'm sure he managed to put some interesting solutions into the mobile crane we can not see from a low resolution picture. I believe we will get better pictures in early February from Nuremberg toy fair as usual. The only preverse thing regarding 42009 is the using of LAs instead of more authentic pneumatic. :thumbdown: I agree with Davidmull that this would have been a great occasion to introduce bigger and stronger pneumatic cylinders (locking elements could have been added easily to keep the boom in high position)...maybe next time. I admit that LAs have some advantages but are not as cool as pneumatic cylinders.

Finally congratulations to all the Technic Challange finalists! You made awesome models guys. :thumbup: There are some of my favourites in the final list as far as I know. This will probably be the third set I will buy from the 2013 Technic product range.

Finally someone following my own heart :) it would have been an ideal set to introduce new cylinders!

@jeroen I'm not sure where ur getting ur info from but I see no receivers and the yellow part is just the outrigger I think.

Also I agree with the above post about a manual turn table , was the only big let down on the last mobile crane,too have so many functions and then having to turn the crane by hand is quiet lame :(

Edited by davidmull

This crane isnt rc, is confirmed by my source(retailer).

To davidmull-There are many toyfairs, London, New york, Nuerberk.But many pictures we get at NY TF because, at european is forbidden to take photo like few years before.

...at european is forbidden to take photo like few years before.

Yes, but there often are a few quick "snapshot"-type spy photos that are taken anyway, like this one from February 2012:

nuremberg09.jpg

micro-spy-camera.jpgspy-gear-1.jpg

Last year we got lots of pictures and videos of the models at Nuerberk toy fair.

Edited by davidmull

This crane isnt rc, is confirmed by my source(retailer).

To davidmull-There are many toyfairs, London, New york, Nuerberk.But many pictures we get at NY TF because, at european is forbidden to take photo like few years before.

Ah well :sad: , just my dreams than... Maybe I should build it myself... hmmm...

Finally someone following my own heart :) it would have been an ideal set to introduce new cylinders!

@jeroen I'm not sure where ur getting ur info from but I see no receivers and the yellow part is just the outrigger I think.

Also I agree with the above post about a manual turn table , was the only big let down on the last mobile crane,too have so many functions and then having to turn the crane by hand is quiet lame :(

I just tried to interpret the pixels and hoped for the best... :classic: , but it is confirmed by @Ondra: no RC, so that just leaves the question what the yellow part in the PF section is...

... the question what the yellow part in the PF section is...

It's the rear stabiliser. There's no mystery to it.

Last year we got lots of pictures and videos of the models at Nuerberk toy fair.

I agree and i think we get few spy photos from Nuremberk this year too. ;) In the end of january is toy fair in London, do you think we can have some photos from there? :P

I agree and i think we get few spy photos from Nuremberk this year too. ;) In the end of january is toy fair in London, do you think we can have some photos from there? :P

Last year we had no pictures from the London toy show.

You just can't wait for pictures instead of posting pointless messages again, again, and again ?

Ondra is right, remember I was investigating that photo pixel by pixel if there was a hidden function of the 4x4 Crawler. :classic: