No, I mean the whole thing, 4958. I first thought it was a new model but it was released 5-6 years ago. My son would love it.

I've got 4958, my first power functions set ever. I also got a ferris wheel set, but I raided that for the motor only. Great fun, my resource for my very first PF models.

Also, I've got an image as to what this new part could possibly look like:

speculation.jpg

Either it is a part with a jog in it, or it's a c frame. I hope for the latter, personally.

Well if your not gonna spend 200 dollars on the set , then quit complaining about it already !!

Dan

Well this is discussion, if your not interested in reading complain please go away.

They are the most functional outriggers to date for sure, I think what Mr Mull was getting at (correct me if i'm wrong David) is that, as good as they are, that's really the only new thing this crane adds to the many cranes of the past, so hardley worth spending over $200.

That's exactly what i mean ;)

@ Ted that's what u call a crane :)

Well if your not gonna spend 200 dollars on the set , then quit complaining about it already !!

Dan

I'd have no problem spending that money on a good set.

Edited by davidmull

What bugs me the most about the 42009 is the lack of a bigger turntable. The keep making these giant models that I really love, but just don't buy because the small turntable makes those big moving modules they invent WAY too wobbly. The should just make a big turntable to fix this. On the other hand the tow truck looks amazing, so I'll probably buy that and at least one other model. Probably last year's helicopter. Or if it's cheap the 8070 racer!

I think It will be a good set, but I,ll wait till the instructions are on TLG so I can get a better idea if this is true or not. Even then I think I,ll be getting one if not two. Stop and think about it, if its truely a 2600 piece set, at 220 dollars, that's a pretty good deal price per piece wise. My only real complaint is why can't they put yellow rims on it, and I do agree. They need to come up with a better turn table if there gonna continue to release big sets like this.

Dan

What bugs me the most about the 42009 is the lack of a bigger turntable. The keep making these giant models that I really love, but just don't buy because the small turntable makes those big moving modules they invent WAY too wobbly. The should just make a big turntable to fix this.

That's true, small and flexible turntable together with the space between studless beams (they are slightly less than 1 stud in width and height) makes it hard to get decent stability. A turntable with a width of around 13 studs would be a good idea for CUUSO.

It would be a great addition to the two we have now, we would still have uses for the currant one, but when things get big we have a larger one to fall on.

Dan

technic_xl_turntable_assembled.jpg

technic_xl_turntable_partially_assembled.jpg

technic_xl_turntable_in_bits.jpg

Some renders I have made, they do not show the mounting points, haven't decided on those yet, but I think they should over lap on thge two bigger halves so they can be held securly together.

Some renders I have made, they do not show the mounting points, haven't decided on those yet, but I think they should over lap on thge two bigger halves so they can be held securly together.

Nice! Well done.

Such a turntable would be a welcome addition to the Technic part range.

nice concept, but two things

there is no need for an ballcage and there is no need for two outer ring parts. simple make a hole to infuse the balls in the balltunnel. after infusing the balls close the hole with an bolt

Two very good points, the ball cage may be over kill and having the outer part be one piece would made it much stronger and more accurate. The idea of splitting it and having the cage was to make it easy and fool proof for the customer to assemble theirselves, but then just droppng the balls into a hole would be easy to.

Edited by allanp

Nice design Allan,could you not build that idea using existing elements?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

If some one took the time to do it, I bet you could cnc a part out of aluminum. Brick Machine Shop is already doing a nice actuator, might be the next big step in LEGO.

Dan

Nice design Allan,could you not build that idea using existing elements?

Not really, I usually use small wheels mounted to the rotating part to help support the weight and lessen friction, something the 42009 (trying to stay on topic here!) could have done.

If some one took the time to do it, I bet you could cnc a part out of aluminum. Brick Machine Shop is already doing a nice actuator, might be the next big step in LEGO.

Dan

A friend of mine has his 3d printer working now. It still needs some dialling in and there will still be some hand finishing required, and i'll probably have to use steel ball bearings just for the prototype, but maybe I could persuade him to print these parts.

Edited by allanp

Nice 42001. 42008 has been done twice, dokludi has a fantastic 42009, Junkstylegio has an outstanding 42001, and I believe my new 42005 is accurate. I didn't have the red micro panels, and a few things I didn't have in that specific color, but other than the panels, the parts are correct I believe.

dscn0933.jpg

Edited by Porty

Nice replica.

42008 has been done twice

twice? can i have a link or a picture to the second version of 42008?

Nice replica.

twice? can i have a link or a picture to the second version of 42008?

Sorry, I believe some one took yours and copied it in SR3D Builder. That makes yours the only real reverse engineer.

Crane looks awesome. Any more news???

BTW, After 2 hours of speculation of past technic years, not using the computer even, I think I know what TLG is planning for 2014--- An RC Supercar.

Some of the specs I think it will have are these:

-Working V8

-Hubs from 42000

-The new reinforced 8 tooth gears

-A four-speed transmission

-1 IR Remote, 1 IR Receiver V2, 1 L Motor, 1 Servo Motor

-Possibly licensed with Mercedes Benz

-Probably ~1400 parts

-Blue, Red, or Orange (Hopefully Blue)

-New Wheels

To back up new wheels from Niels on TB: "Whether we get it or someone close to it back again is not in our scope yet, the only thing I can say and promise is that there will be new wheels & tyres in our assortment already in 2013 and again in 2014."

Who agrees