Wonder if the torque of the shaft going through the turn table to drive the stablisers will be enough to cause the upper part to rotate or at least jolt to one side a bit when the stablisers reach their limit for movement? Probably not and although it could be modified to have gearing I do find it odd that there is no gearing for it when it would not require any more motors to do so. Drive the the stabiliser gearbox could have been left continuous opening up a space for the main gearbox to accomodate slewing, if that is not how it actually is.

Wonder if the torque of the shaft going through the turn table to drive the stablisers will be enough to cause the upper part to rotate or at least jolt to one side a bit when the stablisers reach their limit for movement? Probably not and although it could be modified to have gearing I do find it odd that there is no gearing for it when it would not require any more motors to do so. Drive the the stabiliser gearbox could have been left continuous opening up a space for the main gearbox to accomodate slewing, if that is not how it actually is.

I already had the exact same thought. Since there is a second gearbox for the stabilizers, the driving shaft could run continously.

Edit: That will be a must for a first mod I guess.

Edited by Balrog

I'm quiet disappointed the slewing is manual, it's the one thing 8421 lacked! For the size,complexity this set should have it all,

Functionality mmm don't think so, they put so much attention into the rest of the model and you need to slew it buy hand :(

Actually it doesn't have the free-fall boom feature of the 8421 so I have to give it a :thumbup: !

I would not say that it had a free-fall boom but rather a load sensitive one,something that real cranes should have as a emergency measure. :snicker::head_back:

Actually it doesn't have the free-fall boom feature of the 8421 so I have to give it a :thumbup: !

Was I the only one to see that you could prevent this by a) limiting the movement of the switch and/or b) attatching hoses to the other end of the cylinders to further restrict air flow and/or c) using a tiny bit of skill to give you any drop speed you want, from hardley moving at all to KABLAMMO!!!!!! The falling boom issue really isn't a big issue when there are many easy and effective solutions to the problem.

I would not say that it had a free-fall boom but rather a load sensitive one,something that real cranes should have as a emergency measure. :snicker::head_back:

:laugh:

Anyway, back on topic :classic:

Edited by allanp

Don't think you really get it, would u buy a car with no steering wheel?

Manual slewing is bad bad bad :)

@allan yes working the switch rite works just fine just like a real one :)

Don't think you really get it, would u buy a car with no steering wheel?

Manual slewing is bad bad bad :)

@allan yes working the switch rite works just fine just like a real one :)

What about a car that does have a steering wheel but it isn't connected to anything, it just spins without doing anything :wink:

What about a car that does have a steering wheel but it isn't connected to anything, it just spins without doing anything :wink:

Anyway, back on topic :classic:

So much for that then...... :tongue::roflmao:

I think you got the quotes the wrong way round, but your right, I didn't manage to stay on topic for very long did I? :laugh:

Yes, I strongly feel that this little guy has 4 wheel steering... Even more so now than when we first got the early prelim pic that showed arrows insinuating that all 4 wheels steered....

The 12 tooth is visible (just) at both ends, so yeah.

I think you got the quotes the wrong way round, but your right, I didn't manage to stay on topic for very long did I? :laugh:

It was meant to be that way around.

Guys every year the flagship seems to leave certain functions unknown until we build it, I just think its exciting every year that we don't know 100% all functions.

But this year we seem to know everything about 42009 :( do lego not keep certain functions etc secret until release ?

Do lego not keep certain functions etc secret until release ?

No,remember that at the trade shows they are trying to sell there models to retailers. :wacko:

What would be the point of not showing a particular function in a model?

This could affect the models sales.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Exactly what I've been thinking. I was about to post something similar yesterday, but your post is much more eloquent than mine would have been.

Yeb we know, you are a bit late with that observation. :grin:

dis somebody see the red gears from the outriggers seems som sliding gears

8439436015_de48ed02ec_c.jpg

yea i though it was old news id did not watch the pictures properly the first time

New video from spieletest. It clearly shows that slewing is manually.

Indeed. Also shows the stickers on that second gearbox. Have these been noted before? They are obviously out and down outriggers stickers... It looks funny carrying 42001 around... haha Also, at 1:04, a guy steals a 42008 service truck and replaces it with another... :laugh: Edited by Porty

I'm sorry but the more i see the less impressed i am, it's just nothing special and a disappointing flagship.

My first time not happy with a flagship :(

I'm sorry but the more i see the less impressed i am, it's just nothing special and a disappointing flagship.

I don't think you understand. This one goes to 11. How can you not be impressed? :wink:

Edited by andythenorth

So if slew is not manual, than we have next functions:

Raise

Extend

Whinch

Outrigers- splits to extend and lower

They could use a 6 way gearbox and had functions like:

Raise

Extend

Whinch

Rotate

1 turntable output outrigger extend

second turnatble output outrigger lower

Would work nicely.... This seems lazy, especially having to split one function (outeiggers) two times!

The video from the toy show makes the upper part of the crane look like it is straining the turntable a tad, we probably could have done with a more industrial version