The 42008 and 42009 look awesome!

Once these are released, the price of 8421 & 8285 in used market will fall like stone. :devil:

Well done TLG. :thumbup:

PS: Anyone knows what would be alternate models for 42008-9?

Edited by mobi

42009? maybe a cherrypicker uppercarriage? with this large amount of parts it could be everything

How does new recovery truck compare against 8258? Is it bigger, smaller or same size?

How does new recovery truck compare against 8258? Is it bigger, smaller or same size?

It is smaller. Tires are the same like on 8109set and it is about 15 studs wide

does it help?

42009? maybe a cherrypicker uppercarriage? with this large amount of parts it could be everything

I sure hope they make a proper 2nd model, with 10 wheels, 6 LAs and 3 drive rings the opportunities are many.

I sure hope they make a proper 2nd model, with 10 wheels, 6 LAs and 3 drive rings the opportunities are many.

I think it might be something like this:

crane-truck-truck-with-crane-tow-truck-towing-truck.jpg

That would use most of the LA's,plus you could have double rear wheels.

That's what I was thinking as well, should be a cool B-model! Lately they have been a bit lacking.

I think there might be 12 wheels? It looks as though the middle axle has double wheels.

For the B model, I predict some kind of truck and trailer, similar to the 8285 B model

I think there might be 12 wheels? It looks as though the middle axle has double wheels.

For the B model, I predict some kind of truck and trailer, similar to the 8285 B model

I thought that, too. But if you look very closely, you realize, it is just a shadow that causes this illusion.

Don't count on it. Real cranes don't have double wheels and this model is clearly inspired by real cranes.

Don't count on it. Real cranes don't have double wheels and this model is clearly inspired by real cranes.

Real cranes? :laugh: Real cranes don't have LAs either, the mechanisms were clearly NOT inspired by real cranes. Comparing 42009 to real cranes? What a joke :laugh: Oh, but maybe I missed your point, maybe you meant that only it's appearence were inspired by real cranes, I forgot that technic is now only concerned with looking authentic as opposed to actually being authentic.

Ah, remember when tehnic had those three core pricipals?

Authenticity, Functionality, and Challenging building

Let's look at 42009.

Authenticity, the first and foremost core pricipal. If it's intentions were to just look like a crane then, maybe. I don't think real cranes have colour coded bolts and gears and drive shafts which does spoil what authentic appearence it has slighty, but they did get the shape of the thing (apart from the arm pivot being too far forward) and angle of the wheels when steered right. But this is not model team, it's technic, technic is about mechanisms and working models. The only authentic mechanisms on this crane are the ones made of bits of string. Not one mechanism that's not made of string is true to life. So is it authentic? NO.

Functionality? It does have some good functionality. Nothing is manual apart from most likely the slewing maybe, didn't look geared in the video. All the controls are in more cetralised places away from the functions. So, YES.

Challenging building? Too early to tell, but with the current trend of colour coding all axles and gears and pins to make it look awful and having 5 or 6 manuals for one model and learning from past experience everything points to NO.

So, comparing it to real cranes is a joke, and now it seems it's a joke compared to Legos own set standard having scored only 1 out of 3.

EDIT: Favorite quote of the video roughtly translated into English, "it has a v8 engine to underline the realism", HAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by allanp

Blablablablabla. It's a toy, people! Made for kids to play with, not for afols who want it to be an exact replica of the real thing!

Blablablablabla. It's a toy, people! Made for kids to play with, not for afols who want it to be an exact replica of the real thing!

I have to agree with Luc2000 for childrens is a great set, now we have to build something much better or much real, to be a Lego set is perfect that way. What is the realism in technic?, all our technology is obsolete, we built with stuff from 30 years ago now everything is electronic.

allanp, your LA vs pneumatic tirade is getting tiresome :thumbdown: (And btw, cranes do not use penumatics , they use hydraulics)

2H is looking good :laugh: Did anyone find a price for the mobile crane?

When is 2H usually available (preferably in the EU)? Can't really wait :wub: :wub:

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed that the crane didn't have tracks and a space thruster on the back. I mean, obviously, it isn't based on a real crane so why not?

It can be a toy, it can be an exact replica* or it can be art. I prefer the art, and that the overall model should be good. Perfectly balanced in terms of function, look, building style and building experience. Stuffing as much stuff as you can, or being as authentic as you can (abuse Lego) won't make a good model for me.

*for exact replicas, maybe Lego is not the best tool. Use metal, carbon fiber, etc. Or build real machines.

It's just my preference. And I consider myself an AFOL (I'm adult at least and build crap MOCs).

Edited by Lipko

allanp, your LA vs pneumatic tirade is getting tiresome :thumbdown:

Have to agree here!

This is getting borderline stupid. With your definitions of 'realism', I think we can all agree there is not a single Technic set ever that has come close to what it is based on, realistically speaking.

I love the crane :wub: and I love the truck :wub: They both look great and with all the functions they're just awesome technic models :thumbup:

So far, looking at the pics, the only thing that could have been better are the exhaust pipes of the truck... :laugh:

I never even mentioned pneumatics :laugh: and the unimog easily comes close to the real thing. But now that 1974 mentions it, pneumatics and hydraulics work on the exact same pricipal, that's close enough for me. And as for it being a toy for kids, it's not just a toy, at least it used to be more than just a toy. Maybe technic has ditched it's core values for the most part and become just another toy. Shame. It could have quite easily been so much better for kids and adults alike. But if it is just another as you guys say, then I fear it will never be as popular with the kids as it could be. Why would a kid without the attention span needed to put 2600 pieces together spend £150 on a crane when there are far more cooler, far more realistic looking toy cranes that are fully RC and give them instant satisfaction, as well as computer games and many other toys to choose from for far less money? You see far more kids wanting nurf guns and legend of chima sets than technic sets, and this crane ain't gonna change that.

Edited by allanp

allanp, your LA vs pneumatic tirade is getting tiresome :thumbdown: (And btw, cranes do not use penumatics , they use hydraulics)

When is 2H usually available (preferably in the EU)? Can't really wait :wub: :wub:

Pneumatics rely on the same principles as Hydraulics - it's just a different medium used. Using oils would be problematic! Imagine if little Jimmy leaked a plastic safe oil all over his parents prized rug. They even use a reservoir, its called the air around us :).

@D3K: A lot of old sets follow real life machinery and mechanisms closer: 8880 Super Car is a superb simplified representation of a car (best one to date in my opinion), Air Tech Claw Rig ( in terms of pneumatics ), the plotter from the first Control centre, most the of the old pneumatic sets, etc. I do admit the UniMog is extremely awesome, but I am not too fond on the excavator 8043 or bulldozer 8275...

To give an example of this change (focussing on other sets), I always got a lot of the Universal Sets as a kid and most of them had a particular topic : pneumatics and leverage, Bowden cables (flex system) basic pulley systems and gearboxes. TLG do nothing like this now, which I think is a shame. As a kid I learnt so much from the Universal Sets.

For the record I do own a substantial number of new sets along with all my old stuff. I like it all, but the more authentic it is, the better for me.

Edited by richthelegodude

I never even mentioned pneumatics :laugh: and the unimog easily comes close to the real thing. But now that 1974 mentions it, pneumatics and hydraulics work on the exact same pricipal, that's close enough for me. And as for it being a toy for kids, it's not just a toy, at least it used to be more than just a toy. Maybe technic has ditched it's core values for the most part and become just another toy. Shame. It could have quite easily been so much better for kids and adults alike. But if it is just another as you guys say, then I fear it will never be as popular with the kids as it could be. Why would a kid without the attention span needed to put 2600 pieces together spend £150 on a crane when there are far more cooler, far more realistic looking toy cranes that are fully RC and give them instant satisfaction, as well as computer games and many other toys to choose from for far less money? You see far more kids wanting nurf guns and legend of chima sets than technic sets, and this crane ain't gonna change that.

Well, I would assume as D3K that lego technic sets try to imitate real machines. Lego is a toy (Ok for me it's more an art than a toy :) and the parts we are given don't let us implement 100 % realism to lego sets or MOCs. It is always a compromise. Whole point is to create an imitation of realism as big as possible including functionality and playability. You mentioned Lego Unimog. It is a very nice set. And I like pneumatics. But the Mog crane's functionality is just very limited (because of very poor accuracy) and then how this fact meets realism? Lego MOCs and sets are always about a compromise of realism but it's all about implementing this compromise wisely. And in lego 42009 case choosing LAs to lower and rise crane's boom is IMO a wise choice.

Just for now I think we should appreciate LAs as well as Pneumatics pros. But they have cons as well. IMO the whole point is to know when and where to use LAs and Pneumatics.

Edited by TechnicMati

allanp. Why are you even here, if you dislike anything from TLG so thoroughly. Please. Take your rants about LAs and authenticity elsewhere. I'm getting sick of reading them every time. Seriously. Go away.

Yes, the 42009 Mobile crane really sucks, ..... it even doesn't have spinning wheel, so the hamster could run, and supply the power tho the boom .......

Meh, ..... :wall::cry3: