been trying the panel built rotors, but they are not working for me at 18 volts. I also tried a car driven by an RC motor ant 18 volts, and its is really fast, it went fromzero to across 6 meters of distance in some 3 seconds. So i guess a glider it is....

EDIT: But one question? If the motor cannot lift itself directly via propeller, or does so barrely, will it be able to push itself through the air and lift? Phsysics boggles me here.

Edited by Zblj

But one question? If the motor cannot lift itself directly via propeller, or does so barely, will it be able to push itself through the air and lift? Physics boggles me here.

I thought the motor was able to lift it self, but the rotational forces would make it impossible to stay in flight. I think you're able to get it up if you put a pair of propellers on a wing at the right size.

been trying the panel built rotors, but they are not working for me at 18 volts. I also tried a car driven by an RC motor ant 18 volts, and its is really fast, it went fromzero to across 6 meters of distance in some 3 seconds. So i guess a glider it is....

Could you post some pics of your panel rotor tries?

And was that power to the wheels or propeller for the car?

if it can push a car once you'll have a well shaped wing it's gonna lift itself due to portance generated by the wing :)

the same thing that happends in kite surfing, you gain some speed and then rotate your wing and it makes you take off :P

cant wait to see it in action dude !!!

Here is the pic of the panel made rotor:

p1190081.jpg

And the kite i'm working on:

p1190079.jpg

The motor can slide on the axle to ajust the center of gravity.

p1190080.jpg

Just need foil and a battery box, and who knows, it might fly!

I make a two bladed thing last night,It runs straight of the buggy motor with out gearing.

I used a worm gear to angle the two panels and then added wheels to it..........It moves forward by it's own power but only left or right.

P1000264_zpsb1d175a0.jpg

I thought the motor was able to lift it self, but the rotational forces would make it impossible to stay in flight. I think you're able to get it up if you put a pair of propellers on a wing at the right size.

yes, just because an engine can't lift a certain weight vertically, doesn't mean it doesn't have enough power to make the same weight fly with a wing. not many civvy propellor planes have the power to go vertical and keep going up. another thing with heli's, if they are a little overloaded weight wise and they can't manage a vertical take off, but they can get the heli 'light', they can skid along the ground and gain forward momentum until enough forward speed is achieved to generate transitional lift. this effectively is an increase in airspeed over the leading rotor blade giving more lift. sort of like a fixed wing aircraft having to get the wing travelling fast enough to fly. and they can then get airbourne but can't hover. there are many stories of overloaded hueys doing this in vietnam to get soldiers out of harms way.

zbjl that might work but maybe the wing area is too small....i'd probably scale it to the double or at least half more...i dont know....

if that works you'd probably need a bigger one to add all the rest of the controls :P

i mean....that's not gonna take off until you don't have a Z axis controller to rotate the wing up or down....ill try to draw it in ldraw :)

@ Zblj: Maybe you could make a biplane (with two levels of similarly-sized wings). The prop could be in the front (instead of the back) to allow "wind" to flow over the wing surfaces to generate lift. :look:

zbjl that might work but maybe the wing area is too small....i'd probably scale it to the double or at least half more...i dont know....

if that works you'd probably need a bigger one to add all the rest of the controls :P

Yea, definitely need it to be at least twice as long. Have you tried doing 4 blades? I would put as many blades as you can(up to 8) if you're only going to do one rotor.

I'm wondering if those panels can generate the right lift though. They don't look like they have any airfoil design.

i mean....that's not gonna take off until you don't have a Z axis controller to rotate the wing up or down....ill try to draw it in ldraw :)

You mean 'do', right?

@ Zblj: Maybe you could make a biplane (with two levels of similarly-sized wings). The prop could be in the front (instead of the back) to allow "wind" to flow over the wing surfaces to generate lift. :look:

I'm not sure if a biplane design would help any. Does it generate more lift for the same weight? I suppose a biplane would allow for stronger-shorter wings versus a normal plane's longer wings.

Has anyone studied on the differences?

yeah skyrate :P i mean do! lol

anyway it's not a problem of how many blades we have....the main thing is the proportion between total weight and wing span....that's all....

i mean if a single rotor is'nt enough to make it take off (and i dont think so) it will be enough having a slope to help it gain speed :P

anyway i was thinking to something like this to control the wing's vertical movement...i hope it's clear even if it's not finished yet :P

1zx2kxw.jpg

anyway i was thinking to something like this to control the wing's vertical movement...i hope it's clear even if it's not finished yet :P

Tilting the whole wing like that might have some effect during takeoff, but once it's flying an supported by the wing, you'll just be adjusting the angle of the motor, and maybe shifting the centre of balance a little bit. I think you'd need tail with elevators or canards of some sort on the front.

Although, I guess this is how hang gliders work, so it could work if you have enough precision of control.

This is why i made the drive motor in such a way, that can slide fowards and backwards in order to keep it level. First i need it to make it with no battery box, or controls. Only after i make that fly, can i add more weight, etc... Gonna buy some foil today and see how it goes.

Tilting the whole wing like that might have some effect during takeoff, but once it's flying an supported by the wing, you'll just be adjusting the angle of the motor, and maybe shifting the centre of balance a little bit. I think you'd need tail with elevators or canards of some sort on the front.

Although, I guess this is how hang gliders work, so it could work if you have enough precision of control.

Thats exactly how the Real thing works :-)

Sorry i didnt see the last part of your post :-P

Edited by piterx

I AM WORKING lol... Here's the result of todays work:

The chassis seems to bend quite a lot, but I think it will hold the weight.

p1190083.jpg

p1190084.jpg

I increased the angle of attack and used some trash bags to make a wing :D

AMAZING

♥ u zblj!

ehmm....does it fly XD?

AHHH!! damn! it bends a lot because there are no wires!!

original.jpg

Edited by piterx

:D can't wait!...in the meanwhile ill try to make an Ldraw model with controls and all that stuff :P

uhuhu look what i have found :D

len-mk3-plans-1.jpg

Edited by piterx

Can you post an underside pic? It looks like you added two rows of supports. Just want to verify if you did.

That is looking pretty good. I like that you put the rods through the bag instead of tying/taping/wrapping them.

What is good luck in flight terms? Break a leg? No, that's acting...Hmm..

I just came from outside, and I am freezing rrrrr.

The thing wants to fly, it flew for some 3 seconds before the cable sepearated, causing it to crash down. The center of gravity needs to be slightly shifted forwards, and i need to work on my running/taking off skills. But most of the time outside i spent searching fororotors in snow... Its so easy to break them off with bad lightning and searching white rotors in snow... Well lets just say I am gonna try again tommorow.

ahuahuau yeah i was wondering how exactly you were supposed to make that fligh having the battery in your hands xD

btw...a good sized wing can support over 100kg.....i think that 1 meter wing span will support 300g :P