Sign in to follow this  
dvsntt

MOC: Twist and Whirl Amusement Park Ride

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi there, I just wanted to interact a little more with the community and I thought I would start by sharing my Lego model I designed and built based on my favorite carnival ride; The Tilt-A-Whirl. However, my model doesn't tilt, and the cars don't spin freely, and in fact they are connected to a gearing system so they are always turning while the ride is in motion. This was done because I really like to add motion to my Lego models, and allowing the cars to spin freely was't providing a lot of action.

The deisgn on the ride has a platform planetary gear system that revolves around a single solar gear seen here in the center of the ride pavillion

thumb640x360.jpg

Here is a shot of the underside of the platform that shows the gears that move while the platform spins around the fixed gear.

thumb640x360.jpg

After marrying the platform to the base, the result looks something like this

thumb640x360.jpg

And in its current state, operates like this

twist%20and%20whirl.gif

The first design could only be operated by hand (and at a time when I owned a really crappy camera)

I then added a Lego motor, and after a bit of trial-and-error on how to attach it, found that using a worm gear to drive the entire platform was ideal.

Finally, I submitted it to Lego for consideration to become a real mode at their Cuusoo site:

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/18203

I hope that you like it and let me know what you think.

Wow. That's pretty cool! I love to see Technic wizardry underlying a System-scaled LEGO MOC. :thumbup:

It would look lovely next to the Grand Carousel! Good luck on CUUSOO!

Thanks for the comments. It is a nice addition that I tend display with the Grand Carousel and the Ferris Wheel.

Edited by dvsntt

Wow indeed. It's always nice to see somebody putting some proper work into a MOC to add that little extra touch. I bet this is really popular with the kids if you display it at conventions - they love all kinds of movement.

This is great, it never fails to amaze me just how creative some people can be and to end up with something like this is phenominal!

Well done on such an awesome looking technical build :wub:

This is fantastic! But I'm getting dizzy just thinking about the speed at which it's turning.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't had an oppotunity to display it anywhere, I'm not even certain if there are Lego events near me. Our library displays local Lego models in their display cases throughout the building, I have thought about loaning it to them for a little while. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be possible to have it on and in motion while in the display case, which is kind of what really makes this model interesting.

This is a great design! I'm fascinated by the moving 'cars'. Although, the speed is a bit worrying for me.

It moves much slower now that the batteries are half-drained :)

I appreciate the feedback, I will consider reducing the gear ratio attached to the worm gear to slow it down. This speed was rather convenient for attaching the motor. I may consider a rubber-band system like the ferris wheel uses, although I dismissed that idea initially as I didn't like the placement of the motor (for easy accomplishment) but I enjoy the re-design and tweaking as much as making the proof-of-work concept (if not more).

I made this concept box art (and got it approved by cuusoo team to use). Do you think this makes the set more attractive?

thumb640x360.png

Hi, I m victor fr Malaysia. I also doing this MOC at this moment, but i can't the result as us. i like to know how you attached the " white chair" on the top with the gear at the bottom ? thank you for you sharing.

This model will be on display, fully working at the Denver Comic Con 2014. I will be there with my local LUG as well showing many impressive models.

Do you think with the release of the Fairground Mixer, that people would be more responsive to a set like this one?

^ I certainly would be! I have the Fairground Mixer, and I would love to have this to accompany it. However, the ride is a quite similar concept to the Fairground Mixer, so I don't think this would have been released at the same time as it, although a few years down the line it could be successful. :thumbup:

My project has been on Cuusoo for just over one year. I almost thought they may have been inspired by it, but even if it was, I am so happy they are making another amusement park ride.