Brick Miner

AQUARAIDERS and the single-piece sea life of themes past...

ok, so i've been looking to upgrade my AR sets beyond modifying the brick-built creatures. my first attempt was to incorporate some elements from previous themes that i may already have in my LEGO arsenal. some themes that come right to mind are town: divers, and aquazone: aquanauts, aquasharks, aquaraiders I, and hydronauts.

i always felt that some of the coolest elements from those themes are the underwater scooters and the sea animals. however, by looking at the new AR line, you kinda have to ruled out the underwater scooter piece as an element for upgrading, as this new AR theme seems to be going for more of a brick-built feel (reference the brick-built underwater scooters of 7774 and 7775). but that can be said about the sea life too !!!

so my next logical question was, do the non-brick built sea creatures from themes past (dolphin, shark, octopus, manta-ray, etc...) fit this new seemingly, brick-built heavy, theme ???

to answer this question, you kinda have to look at, and consider, the brick-built creatures of AR. are these giant anglers and lobster the size of normal creatures in the AR world ??? or are they mutated versions of regular sized sea life ??? they almost must be mutants of some kind, if you take into consideration the single-piece crab that is included in set 7775. the official LEGO AR line includes both GIANT and "normal" size versions of this one particular sea creature. of course that could be explained away by the many different species of crabs that exists in the AR world... but still doesn't explain the un-natural size of the large one.

now, at this point, it almost seems natural to say,... sure, why couldn't the single-piece sea life co-exist with the giant sea life of AR, and be seen as different species of the same animal.

now, that seems to work fine for me, except in the case of the tiger shark... the great white from divers seems meek in comparison. if including the single-piece sea life is appropriate to the new AR line, then what explains this ill-proportioned difference in size between the tiger and great white sharks ??? the great white should obviously be bigger... unless again, we go back to the theory that these brick-built AR creatures are special mutants, and "normal" size tiger sharks also exist in the AR world.

all of that considered... i'd like to see what other fans of the theme are feeling...

are these brick-built creatures mutants ???

or are these brick-built creatures the "standard size" in this fictional/fantasy AR world ???

and do the single-piece sea animals fit this theme ???

open discussion about how you use the theme, or plan to (if AR is not available in your area yet ;-))

- BrickMiner

Wow, you're really in to these Aqua Raiders. I would naturally think that each of the creatures are one of kind, maybe not mutant, but very rare, like the real giant squid.

So if you want to throw in a one peice stingray and two peice Narwhal in a MOC, go ahead. It is such a minor detail there is no need to worry.

Wow, you're really in to these Aqua Raiders.
i spent nearly 100 USD on them, and built them in two nights... talking about them here on EB, is another way to get my moneys worth :-D

plus, it's the only theme (that i've been half-way interested in) that LEGO has put out since i came out of my dark ages about two years ago |-/ so i decided to embrass them... LEGO seems to be heading their themes in the right diretion, so my buying AR is my contribution to LEGOs reward. it's the least i can do for the company that has brought me so much joy in the past.

but don't be fooled, in the next week or two im releasing my next MOC, and it's in my truely favorite theme *pirate*

--------------------------------------------------

I would naturally think that each of the creatures are one of kind, maybe not mutant, but very rare, like the real giant squid.
ok, so maybe like a naturally occuring mutation ??? 1 in evey 1,000,000 tiger sharks are born huge 8-

Definitely mutants.

Just think about what LEGO's been doing with their themes lately. They need a reason to put their shooting thingies in the sets, hence all those dragons, dinosaurs, or, in the case of AR, mutant sea life.

Reminds me of the monsters of H. P. Lovecraft...

but don't be fooled, in the next week or two im releasing my next MOC, and it's in my truely favorite theme *pirate*

A SW MOC? How boring...

>:-) >:-)

:-P

A SW MOC? How boring...

>:-) >:-)

:-P

No, it's OBVIOUSLY Bionicle ;-)

But in response to Brick Miner, I think that Lego is setting a new standard for the size of all non-fig ridden creatures (sans dragon).

=l2k=

We see that you like this theme, Brick Miner. And your enthusiasm conforte mein the idea of having some of them (205

Hmm....The BB code for that smile says "pirate". Could that be a clue?

ok, so maybe like a naturally occuring mutation ??? 1 in evey 1,000,000 tiger sharks are born huge 8-

Actually these creatures do exist..

in this article they say that a giant squid has eaten a man

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/squid.htm

Gaint_Squid_Sketch.jpg

squid_edited.jpg

so these creatures do co-exist with more "normal" sea animals

so why not the lego single-piece ones with the AR ones..

Hmm....The BB code for that smile says "pirate". Could that be a clue?
well... that bearded head is used in quite a few themes,... pirates, dark forest, royal knights, WW, and wolf pack... and as hobbes pointed out even SW... :-D :-D :-D

------------------------------------------------

Actually these creatures do exist..
i think the giant squid is the only one that exists in the AR size... i think this discussion is more interested in the angler, lobster, and crab.

- BrickMiner

Wow, look at this!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/rare-sh...9594348990.html

This is the first documented encounter of a live frilled shark, chlamydoselachus anguineus, this specimen being a female of 1.6 meters. Nowhere near the size of the AR beasts, but nonetheless a mysterious survivor of a very rare prehistoric species of bottom feeder. It is so very old that looks almost alien to this world.

Some footage from Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka (southwest of Tokyo);

http://educatedearth.net/video.php?id=2841

http://educatedearth.net/video.php?id=2844

i think the giant squid is the only one that exists in the AR size... i think this discussion is more interested in the angler, lobster, and crab.

No one actually knows the upper limit on lobster size in the open ocean; the ones we catch as food are all small because thats the size we design traps for. Some studies indicate that a lobster's cells do not appear to have a 'hayflick limit'(genetic aging process) they seem to keep regenerating without an age limit. So theoretically if one never gets sick and no one eats it... well we don't really know how old or big it can get.

Cant speak for the angler or crab. Tho I do hear that anglers are pretty big and ugly to begin with...so the AR one isnt that much of a stretch :-D

Wow, look at this!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/rare-sh...9594348990.html

This is the first documented encounter of a live frilled shark, chlamydoselachus anguineus, this specimen being a female of 1.6 meters. Nowhere near the size of the AR beasts, but nonetheless a mysterious survivor of a very rare prehistoric species of bottom feeder. It is so very old that looks almost alien to this world.

Some footage from Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka (southwest of Tokyo);

http://educatedearth.net/video.php?id=2841

http://educatedearth.net/video.php?id=2844

Huh, what a disgusting beast! :-X *wacko*

Reminds me alot of the Sando Aqua Monster from Star Wars Episode I though... *vader*

Wow, look at this!

That was very interesting.... thank you for sharing this "beastly" news. 8-|

No one actually knows the upper limit on lobster size in the open ocean; the ones we catch as food are all small because thats the size we design traps for. Some studies indicate that a lobster's cells do not appear to have a 'hayflick limit'(genetic aging process) they seem to keep regenerating without an age limit. So theoretically if one never gets sick and no one eats it... well we don't really know how old or big it can get.

Well, the healthiest of Lobsters in captivity have got to have stopped growing and/or died by now. :-/

They commonly range from 20 cm to 60 cm in length and

Wow, look at this!

ya, i saw that on MSN... it's strange. from some angles the shark looks bizarre, and incomparable to any creature seen before. but from other angles it just looks like an eel (for example the videos).

i do like hearing about stories like these... gives us hope that maybe one day will will find AquaRaiders size creatures 8-

from some angles the shark looks bizarre, and incomparable to any creature seen before. but from other angles it just looks like an eel (for example the videos).

- BrickMiner

Yes, it's like it the step between eel and shark... Really strange...

I like to see some new creaturs, that show us, humans, we don't know our own Earth, we just are a small piece of life and we don't have the right to destroy it.

I like to see some new creaturs, that show us, humans, we don't know our own Earth, we just are a small piece of life and we don't have the right to destroy it.

Well, I may be wrong, but looking at their origin some 146 million years ago, I guess that those creatures

will outrun fragile humanity with ease.... X-D

Well, true humanity has only been around for about 100k years, and we've already almost killed ourselves countless times :-| There are species that have lived for tens of millions of years. Frankly I'd be surprised if we lasted another 1000 years without resetting ourselves to the stone age

Well, true humanity has only been around for about 100k years, and we've already almost killed ourselves countless times :-| There are species that have lived for tens of millions of years. Frankly I'd be surprised if we lasted another 1000 years without resetting ourselves to the stone age

Duh. Humanity Resets it's technology every so often. First it was the Dark Age after the Fall of Rome, and soon it will, be the Very Dark Ages after WW3, then the Very Dark Ages after I don't know what... and the process keeps going on forever...

I think we should pray to be dead before then...

Hmmm....I would say part mutant and maybe some could exsist in real life

The Giant Squid and Tiger shark can grow to become that big

The biggest tiger shark ever found was over 20ft long.

The crab and lobster are mutants,there is no possible way for them to get that big

The biggest athropods were only like 10ft long and exsisted some 500million years ago

however by altering the genes a litlle you can come out with monster things X-D

:-)

Piranha

(wait what,colassal squids are even bigger X-O )

thanks for contributing your thoughts P !!! though, it seems my interest in AR has been dwarft by the excellent 2007 city line.

- BrickMiner

Hehe you too eh

The city 2007 line is great

The gas station is first on my list :-)

I guess if Lego came out with new AR sets then they would be more disscused, but until then its Town/City all the way

Piranha

(or was it the harbor maybe even the train station)