legobear, I guess that's why the Cinema is a little cheaper than the others (10€ in Germany, that is (though initial roumors had it another 10€ lower)) and notably cheaper than the Town Hall. While I do like more complex interiors, too, I wouldn't want all future modulars at the size and price level of the Town Hall...

Edited by cimddwc

Ummm What? did you post this in the wrong thread? This set isn't meant to compete with Chima, nor is it meant to go on retail store shelves. Chima is targeted at 6-12 year old boys. This, like all of the "Creator Expert" and "Modular Buildings" is targeted at 16+ year old adult fans. It will not be on the store shelves at Toys R Us or Walmart. It is a D2C exclusive set, and is sold through the online store and Lego stores. Chima and this set will in no way touch or conflict. The number of people weighing whether to buy this or Chima probably is less than 1000. They are entirely differing fanbases (except for the small dedicated populations of places like this board.)

As far as Chima, it probably will be a success. But just eyeballing it at the moment, the last wave of Ninjago and TMNT's are substantially outselling it right now.

After seeing it's 150 bucks and that the baseplate is red it'll probably be my second modular, love this set.

No offense, but how do you even know if it's popular? It is nowhere near the sale rates of Ninjago, atleast in my store.

Dont feed the troll!

legobear, I guess that's why the Cinema is a little cheaper than the others (10€ in Germany, that is (though initial roumors had it another 10€ lower)) and notably cheaper than the Town Hall. While I do like more complex interiors, too, I wouldn't want all future modulars at the size and price level of the Town Hall...

You got a good point there :wink: true true true. Couldn't they down size it a bit though? Perhaps in the style of pet shop :wub: . It was so small and cozy.

Of course none of these discussions will change the cinema that's in its finalized form but I do believe that TLG reads these discussion forums for a general consensus for what fans like and they typically run towards that direction for future sets. Therefore, I'm going to rant for a bit :laugh: . It seems like TLG designed the set to appeal more to our initial reaction than to the true play-ability of it all. On first glance it's so amazing, but when you get down to the play features it's very empty. It helps to get the consumer to put it in the cart (important), but what about making sure that consumers really enjoy the set and will want to come back for more? (more important).

Also, you guys recall how when they unveil new sets, they always talk about the new features and the new direction in which they wanted to add to the modular line? I felt that was seriously lacking in this one. Was it just bad PR? What's going on?? :wacko: For the Pet Shop, Jamie's whole purpose was to break down the blocky-ness of the series and so he opted for two full sized buildings that were attachable with a total of 8 walls - something new which made Pet Shop so unique. The Town Hall also by Astrid was designed to look grand and imposing and she states that as a central point in the set. Every design element from the little flowers on the windows to the tall windows drove that point home. How about the Cinema? I didn't really get a sense that they really really gave it their all :look: What was the purpose? It's so similar to Grand Emporium as well :look: (aside from the fact that it's a corner building). Cafe Corner was both a cafe AND a hotel - slam dunk! Just excellent. I feel a lil down about this set :cry_sad: - but as with all of you here :wub: I'm getting it LOL.

Edited by legobear

About playability: I'm not sure how many AFOLs or buyers of the modular buildings actually play with them. Something tells me that 99 percent of the people just build them and then put them in a row with the other buildings and that's it.

The Haunted House for example has a mechanism of opening the building which really adds to the playability. However, you cannot really play with the modular buildings as a whole because you always have to separate the floors for that.

You got a good point there :wink: true true true. Couldn't they down size it a bit though? Perhaps in the style of pet shop :wub: . It was so small and cozy.

Of course none of these discussions will change the cinema that's in its finalized form but I do believe that TLG reads these discussion forums for a general consensus for what fans like and they typically run towards that direction for future sets. Therefore, I'm going to rant for a bit :laugh: . It seems like TLG designed the set to appeal more to our initial reaction than to the true play-ability of it all. On first glance it's so amazing, but when you get down to the play features it's very empty. It helps to get the consumer to put it in the cart (important), but what about making sure that consumers really enjoy the set and will want to come back for more? (more important).

Also, you guys recall how when they unveil new sets, they always talk about the new features and the new direction in which they wanted to add to the modular line? I felt that was seriously lacking in this one. Was it just bad PR? What's going on?? :wacko: For the Pet Shop, Jamie's whole purpose was to break down the blocky-ness of the series and so he opted for two full sized buildings that were attachable with a total of 8 walls - something new which made Pet Shop so unique. The Town Hall also by Astrid was designed to look grand and imposing and she states that as a central point in the set. Every design element from the little flowers on the windows to the tall windows drove that point home. How about the Cinema? I didn't really get a sense that they really really gave it their all :look: What was the purpose? It's so similar to Grand Emporium as well :look: (aside from the fact that it's a corner building). Cafe Corner was both a cafe AND a hotel - slam dunk! Just excellent. I feel a lil down about this set :cry_sad: - but as with all of you here :wub: I'm getting it LOL.

I have noticed with Astrid's buildings a lot of the play features stem from the more complex stories she builds into the minifigures and the scene. Jamie tends to add play via the setting. Astrid does so via the characters and not so much an item or minibuilds of furnishings. (Thereby unconsciously validating much of the gazillions of research into male and female psychs they spent in developing the Freinds line.) In the Town Hall it was the complex little wedding scene. In the Theater it revolves around the Shirley Temple'esque child star, her Chauffeur and supporting cast. As far as other play features? Well its a movie theater. That right there is the limiter. You buy your tickets, get your popcorn and sit down to watch the movie. She added a little to it with the "Hollywood Premier" going on outside with the lights and press photographer.

As older Lego fans, our joy in the modular line hinges on the elegance of design, unique part use, and emphasis on "adult" colours. The build is the thing. Playability does not really enter into it at all. Our first was the Fire Brigade. That set lit the fire for modulars, so much so that, fortunately, we quickly Bricklinked the parts for Cafe Corner, which had just been discontinued. After that we have eagerly looked forward to each new modular, and have not been disappointed. Till now. When the hi-res scans came out, we closely examined each to see if there was something that would re-ignite our interest, but such is apparently not to be. This will be the first modular we will not buy. Better luck next year, we hope.

One thing I noticed in the Designer Video, which also bothered me by 10211 GE is that the edge of the sidewalk will lift up.

Seems to only be a problem when TLG uses 32x32 baseplates on corner buildings and is not a problem in 10182 CC which uses 2 16x32 baseplates.

anyone have a solution for this problem?

modulat_lift.jpg

One thing I noticed in the Designer Video, which also bothered me by 10211 GE is that the edge of the sidewalk will lift up.

Seems to only be a problem when TLG uses 32x32 baseplates on corner buildings and is not a problem in 10182 CC which uses 2 16x32 baseplates.

Replace the light bley 1x6 tiles on the outer edge with 1x2's. it allows for a little more independent flex, so the longer tiles aren't levering up the vacu form baseplate as much. At least it seems to have worked for my GE and the corner MOC I just built.

Replace the light bley 1x6 tiles on the outer edge with 1x2's. it allows for a little more independent flex, so the longer tiles aren't levering up the vacu form baseplate as much. At least it seems to have worked for my GE and the corner MOC I just built.

OK, thanks I'll try that!

*snip*

I have another solution for that problem which is you could park the limousine on top of that part of the baseplate, that way it will weigh it down and keep it bent down if the limo is heavy enough as long as you keep the limo there.

Edited by Kez

I actually really like the look of this building. It's on the small side but has just the right amount of exterior detail, while still having a clean look overall. I find that some of the modular buildings are over-detailed and that architectural style can look out of place in a modern city layout. I haven't been collecting the whole line and only have the GE and TH so far (which are excellent models).

The theater floor interior is too sparse and needs some mod work, and the car is little more than a parts pack. The movie ad stickers look great though and add a lot to the set.

About playability: I'm not sure how many AFOLs or buyers of the modular buildings actually play with them. Something tells me that 99 percent of the people just build them and then put them in a row with the other buildings and that's it.

Am I the only adult who buys modular buildings, builds them, and then let my children play with them? Especially the town hall with all the wedding event possibilities is a great fun for the kids. So playability is quite important for me, it makes an excuse to buy these big sets :)

You're definitely not the only one, but playability is a secondary consideration for me in the case of the modular buildings. The town hall and pet shop were popular with my daughter for their playability. I recall at some stage that every LEGO animal we had was stuffed into the pet shop. It was quite crowded in there.

Back on topic, I imagine the Palace Cinema will also be popular with her because of the ability to buy snacks / popcorn and the multiple seats, which means a group of Friends or minifigures will be able to go see a movie together.

Place the corner over the edge of a table and slightly bend the corner back into place.

I'm not sure if I like this modular yet. The theater space seems too small..

If I get it then I'm turning it into an arcade!

Daughter (8) has the GE and plays with it. :)

The Cinema is very cool building on the outside but I agree with some of the comments about the inside. Mostly the cinema itself, and chairs, it is to small. The windows being a slight issue.

The Haunted House for example has a mechanism of opening the building which really adds to the playability. However, you cannot really play with the modular buildings as a whole because you always have to separate the floors for that.

My daughter (3 years old) really likes to play with them. When I'm looking for my minifigs, I just have to look through the modulars, all of them are in there :D And they don't need to be completely build to play with them.

But back to topic, 10232 will be mine, hopefully in March!

...the edge of the sidewalk will lift up.

Sort of. I build my MOCs and modded "Modulars" to fit the PSLTC sidewalk standard that is used regularly for train/town displays @ BrickCon. What this means is a two-plate thick sidewalk rather than a single layer of tiles. Using the two plates makes the sidewalk a little bit stiffer so the lifting that happens with all these baseplates is reduced.

I also let my 3 year old play with them. I can only imagine the many people who cringe at the thought of that. She usually does okay by not breaking it apart. But I think any building for her would be playable, so I'm not necessarily looking at these sets for playability. I'm looking at them for a beautiful exterior finish. In reality, the interiors would be completely empty (like CC) and I wouldn't notice. Meaning, the interiors now look great! The cinema with the red carpeted floor, the concession stand. I actually really like the seating design. I will probably mod the building like a lot of others, but then again, I'll probably be lazy and never touch it.

Either way, the set looks beautiful. I do wish there was some more enthusiasm in that video though. She didn't seem too interested in it for whatever reason.

I do wish there was some more enthusiasm in that video though. She didn't seem too interested in it for whatever reason.

I wish I could sound as enthusiastic as Astrid when speaking in my second or third language sat in front of studio lights and a film crew of strangers. She's a great designer and it's a beautiful building. Brick on Astrid!

PS. I love the way her voice goes up when she says 'minifigure' :)

I also have the same problem with my GE . For the past two years I have put a small heavy ornament on the edge and yet it still lifts upwards when I remove the ornament. I dont suggest bending it as mentioned earlier as that can cause cracks or fractures in the plate.

I

I also have the same problem with my GE . For the past two years I have put a small heavy ornament on the edge and yet it still lifts upwards when I remove the ornament. I dont suggest bending it as mentioned earlier as that can cause cracks or fractures in the plate.

I've got two GEs, and neither of them have any noticeable bending up of the corner. I didn't even realize this was a phenomenon until today.

To keep this on topic, I saw the Palace Cinema at Brickfair Alabama this weekend, and March can't come soon enough. Once you see it in person you'll know why they used the lowercase "a"s in the marquee. The Technic bricks are a nice touch.

I wish I could sound as enthusiastic as Astrid when speaking in my second or third language sat in front of studio lights and a film crew of strangers. She's a great designer and it's a beautiful building. Brick on Astrid!

PS. I love the way her voice goes up when she says 'minifigure' :)

Take a step back. The video for 10224 was better than this one. I don't think he was attacking her ability to speak English, the video just doesn't seem to have opts usual pizzazz. You make quite a few assumptions here.

The staircase on the second floor bugs me. A simple ladder placed in the back of the theater would provide more floor space.

Take a step back. The video for 10224 was better than this one. I don't think he was attacking her ability to speak English, the video just doesn't seem to have opts usual pizzazz. You make quite a few assumptions here.

I think 10224 was her first major set and her labor of love. It was also her first of these videos. This was more of a team effort set that she may not have had quite the level of fire over. It happens.