I'm still surprised by all the negativity towards this set. I'm looking forward to having an LA style movie theater in my town. I really think a lot of the negativity comes from the fact that this isn't Sonicstarlight's theater. I know I wish I could buy that but this looks great to me too.

To be honest, I think that compared to the other modulars, this one is downright terrible. It just doesn't fit in with the whole street layout idea. Plus, all the what appear to be stickers ruins the whole "Creator" idea, or at least that's how I feel. The minifigures aren't unique or special, either. I think they really lowered the ball this year, and I hope that they can produce a better-looking model next time. I'm strongly debating on whether I should purchase this one or not. Well, I still have the Pet Shop and Town hall to build...

OK, here's a question: What would you have done for a Cinema that wouldn't ruin the whole "Creator" idea? Because printing isn't any better than stickers in that regard-- you're still using decorations provided to you ready-made by the designers. And I'd certainly have a hard time turning a brick mosaic of any kind into a recognizable movie poster.

Meanwhile, I don't see how this fails to fit into a street layout with the others. Sure, it'll stick out like a sore thumb, but it's a movie theater. The reason it has this kind of architecture in the first place is so that it'll stand out on a street. You don't design a fancy cinema like this in hopes that it'll blend in unassumingly.

I'm still surprised by all the negativity towards this set. I'm looking forward to having an LA style movie theater in my town. I really think a lot of the negativity comes from the fact that this isn't Sonicstarlight's theater. I know I wish I could buy that but this looks great to me too.

This does seem to be the most polarizing initial reaction to a modular I have seen (I've been lurking since before the Fire Brigade was announced), but most things online tend to be "love it or hate it" affairs. I'm probably the only one that was hoping for something that wasn't Deco (and thank you for the high praise of mine) and I think this is the best non-Deco solution - it is still of that classic Hollywood era and actually ties back to Hollywood itself. I'll assume that more people will warm to the design as time goes on, as is often the case, and criticism is certainly warranted, but I for one am actually impressed to see something so stylistically different while still being harmonious to the rest of the line. You might never see a theater like this in your neighborhood, but I've never seen anything that looks like Market Street or Town Hall in mine.

Edited by sonicstarlight

Like I once said, I have never been disappointed by any of the Modular Buildings! If I was to rate them % wise I would give them all 95% or above.

My least favorite is the Pet Shop, but its still one I wanted in my collection. I think with over 25000+ visits to this forum in the last three days, that this is one of the most popular

none license series that TLG has ever created, and I hope the designers keep giving us great models for years to come!

This does seem to be the most polarizing initial reaction to a modular I have seen (I've been lurking since before the Fire Brigade was announced), but most things online tend to be "love it or hate it" affairs. I'm probably the only one that was hoping for something that wasn't Deco (and thank you for the high praise of mine) and I think this is the best non-Deco solution - it is still of that classic Hollywood era and actually ties back to Hollywood itself. I'll assume that more people will warm to the design as time goes on, as is often the case, and criticism is certainly warranted, but I for one am actually impressed to see something so stylistically different while still being harmonious to the rest of the line. You might never see a theater like this in your neighborhood, but I've never seen anything that looks like Market Street or Town Hall in mine.

I recall a bit of complaining when TH was leaked too. People hated the color, said it was too big to look right with the rest of the line, etc. I don't know, I don't regret buying a single modular and I eagerly await the next as soon as I finish building one. I started with PS, but got GE, FB, and TH after and am dying to add this, Deco or not I would have been buying it. I only regret not starting with CC when they first started the line, but I was in my semi-Dark Ages, only buying the occasional Star Wars set and $150 was hard to swallow for a set back then. Now I'm like Fry, shut up and take my money.

And seeing your model on display at Rockerfeller Center was great, it might as well be a real set. Did you have anything in the store the weekend before Christmas? I was there but it slipped my mind to look.

. I'm probably the only one that was hoping for something that wasn't Deco (and thank you for the high praise of mine) and I think this is the best non-Deco solution - it is still of that classic Hollywood era and actually ties back to Hollywood itself.

That's because you already have the spectacularly good art deco theater sitting on your shelf :grin: Everyone else was hoping they would be getting one like it.

I agree with you, once everyone sees the actual set I think there will be less controversy. Most of the grumbling is because it isn't quite what they were expecting. It doesn't conform to their pre conceived mental image. There's a similar bit of hand wringing going on over in the Historic forums over the new Castle sets.

There's a similar bit of hand wringing going on over in the Historic forums over the new Castle sets.

Oy. Don't remind me. :hmpf: I feel we should temporarily re-dub it "The Histrionic Forum'. :tongue:

I'll admit that the theater wasn't what I was secretly hoping for - it's funny how you can develop expectations without being conscious of it - but once I saw the quick Photoshop pics done a few pages back with the Theater, Town Hall, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium all together, well, I'm definitely warming up to it. In fact, I only own the Fire Brigade and never had any intention of collecting the modular building line, yet seeing that picture of them all lined up with the Theater on the end...it's so very tempting. Of course, who knows how I'd afford them, or where I'd put them, lol. There's only so much LEGO a person can collect, but with so many great products released every year it makes picking out your favorites so very hard.

Edited by Crownie

To be honest, I think that compared to the other modulars, this one is downright terrible. It just doesn't fit in with the whole street layout idea. Plus, all the what appear to be stickers ruins the whole "Creator" idea, or at least that's how I feel. The minifigures aren't unique or special, either. I think they really lowered the ball this year, and I hope that they can produce a better-looking model next time. I'm strongly debating on whether I should purchase this one or not. Well, I still have the Pet Shop and Town hall to build...

How would this not fit in line? Graumans is in a street layout surrounded by buildings as well. Didn't you see the Photoshop on previous page? I think it'll fit great, but that's from someone who hasn't been let down in the slightest with any Modular yet.

I think people get their hopes up initially because of all the great MOCs we see on here. It gives us a picture of what we didn't have before(possibly). I'm certain when we get HR photos and the Designers video is released, all the naysayers will be drooling for it like the rest of us.

This is a great looking set and will be the first modular in my collection! Dont get me wrong, i've loved the others but this is the first one i've ever wanted to own. I cant wait to see some interior pics!

I've come to learn that it is just part of the fora-game. Some people always have to draw attention to themselves by complaining about anything new. "Uhhh stickers are just so bad..." and "I don't like this cause it's different". But hey, it would also get too boring if everybody padded each other on the bag and smiled all the time.

But let's remember everyone, how privileged we all are. Most of the folks in here are adult people on the other side of the dark age. And we didn't have ANYTHING like this when we were kids. We could only dream when we went to Billund once in a while. But we couldn't go in the store and buy a building like those in miniature-land. If someone don't like the style of a new building... Tuf' luck... If someone don't like the color's or get a rash when they see a sticker... don't buy the set. But that doesn't change how lucky we are now a days and how far the boundries on whats possible have been pushed.

Personally I can't wait to add this beautiful new corner to my street :o)

Edited by MadManMingo

I don't think the hate for stickers had anything to do with wanting attention. Not liking stickers is different than not liking the design of the set. I don't like stickers on any set I buy. I can never seem to get them on straight, they don't last like printed bricks, and for something like a modular that is the highlight of my layout, I would rather not deal with that. This using stickers is a legitimate concern for many fans of the line. And as for people not liking the colors or overall design, not everyone is going to love it. I hate hate hate how big TLG makes minifig scale cars now, with them using what used to be truck tires on sports cars and coupes but that doesn't stop me from buying them. I'm sure that some people much prefer these new, bulky things to the more dainty and somewhat outdated looking classic town scale cars I prefer. Different strokes for different folks, that's one thing I learned from years on car forums.

And again, the mini-modulars used a printed brick, I would be surprised if this didn't. It wouldn't stop me from getting it by any means, but I would be disappointed.

@ Charlieboy, if you plan to start with this and collect them, I suggest getting Fire Brigade before they discontinue it and prices jump up on the secondary market.

Different strokes for different folks

Exactly my point bootz. We are all different and prefer different things and thank goodness for that. The alternative would be too boring, if we were too much alike. But thanks for not taking it personally :sweet:

How about it Grogall? Any new details, or inside pics?

Edited by MadManMingo

OK, here's a question: What would you have done for a Cinema that wouldn't ruin the whole "Creator" idea? Because printing isn't any better than stickers in that regard-- you're still using decorations provided to you ready-made by the designers. And I'd certainly have a hard time turning a brick mosaic of any kind into a recognizable movie poster.

Meanwhile, I don't see how this fails to fit into a street layout with the others. Sure, it'll stick out like a sore thumb, but it's a movie theater. The reason it has this kind of architecture in the first place is so that it'll stand out on a street. You don't design a fancy cinema like this in hopes that it'll blend in unassumingly.

When the first news of the set was revealed, I was more or less expecting a 50s style, old fashioned cinema, sort of like the one that came with Town Plan, but larger, and of course with more detail. I'm more into having the buildings look more like each other than having some that, like you said, stick out sore thumbs. My annoyance wasn't that much with the stickers and such, but with the over all design. I just don't think I can pass it off as looking like the other modulars.

When the first news of the set was revealed, I was more or less expecting a 50s style, old fashioned cinema, sort of like the one that came with Town Plan, but larger, and of course with more detail. I'm more into having the buildings look more like each other than having some that, like you said, stick out sore thumbs. My annoyance wasn't that much with the stickers and such, but with the over all design. I just don't think I can pass it off as looking like the other modulars.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense! None of the Modulars look like the other, if they did there would be too much complaining!

Edited by GRogall

I like it.

...Although parts are becoming a larger reason why I buy sets nowadays...Gotta love that Tan/Dark Tan combo, and for me a reliable source of brown windows/doors.

But as a set, I still think it's a rather unique addition (Lots of people aren't so cool about it not being a large version of the Town Hall cinema?) Maybe the next modular will be a gas station, hah!

Just hope it's the usual $150 price.

I know, right? This is an ace model. Sure it isn't your classic Art Deco/Town Plan styled theater, but I like it. Of course I can't wait to see interior pics to make a final judgement. Even then, I'm sold on the exterior.

Now the decision to choose between this or Arkham Asylum.

But let's remember everyone, how privileged we all are. Most of the folks in here are adult people on the other side of the dark age. And we didn't have ANYTHING like this when we were kids. We could only dream when we went to Billund once in a while. But we couldn't go in the store and buy a building like those in miniature-land. If someone don't like the style of a new building... Tuf' luck... If someone don't like the color's or get a rash when they see a sticker... don't buy the set. But that doesn't change how lucky we are now a days and how far the boundries on whats possible have been pushed.

I totally agree!

My first reaction when I saw Gogall's picture of the Palace Cinema was like, ooohhhh this does not look good at all, I was very disappointed, mostly because (and someone said) it didn't look like sonicstarlight's creation... or wasn't even close to the idea I had of a cinema, especially since the rumor said it would be art deco...

This reaction occured every time since CC and GG. At the time I discovered both at the same time and saw CC at a shop, my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing, a huuuuge and perfect looking lego building, wow I thought I was dreaming... Then I got out of my dark ages and started looking around on the web and discovered wonderful MOCs (like Jesse Jasper Jones' ones)

When FB came out I was disapointed when I saw the pictures, even more with GE and also with PS and TH, :thumbdown: because they were not matching my expectations... as with CC and GG I had NO expectations... But when I got the sets at home I was just amazed, with every single one of them... :blush::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The same occured with Palace Cinema, but when I photoshoped it next to the others, I went like, oh yes, this looks very good! Because at first I couldn't see it fit next to the others without looking weird. With all sets together, I was much more happy, because I had expectations of the building alone but not of them together, it helped me see it in another angle, and allowed me to appreciate it and forget what I had expected.

As mentionned as well by someone, I now think it's best that Lego surprises us every time with something that does not conform with our expectations and yet goes well with the whole lineup. In comparison, I was in love at first sight with the Haunted House, but it's more difficult to make it fit with the lineup... ( and remember, this one looked too much like our expectations, and some of us had a long debate whether or not it was a copy of someone's MOC)... I aslo think that even if Lego had produced sets in the exact same "tone" than CC and GG, we would still have been disapointed (the expectations thing..) and less surprised.

Can't wait to see more pics and details (Grogall this is directly meant for you :wink: )

And let's remenber how lucky we are to get sets like this, every year or more and that if we really don't like one, we can just not buy it and bricklink the one we dream of!

Edited by SwissBrick

I'm also eagerly awaiting some more pictures of this building - which I still like a lot. Some nice interior details would also help to draw the attention away from that hideous car!

Some funny statements in this topic though - and even though they're off-topic I just can't not mention them...

...it would also get too boring if everybody padded each other on the bag and smiled all the time.

What bag was that again? :D

Then I got out of my dark ages and started looking around on the web and discovered wonderful MOCs (like Jesse Jasper Jones' ones)

There are plenty of J's in his name, but I don't think there's a Jesse Jones...!

EDIT: I corrected a typo. Probably had it coming...

Edited by L@go

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of this new modular, but I'll just have to get used to not following what I believed was "normal" for the modular line. Thank you GRogall, for providing us with pictures, which, from what I believe must've taken a huge amount of effort. Sorry for causing all the hate. I'm brand new here, and probably should've kept to myself, which I will do from now on. I can't wait to see this model with the other modular on my shelf :)

This reaction occured every time since CC and GG. At the time I discovered both at the same time and saw CC at a shop, my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing, a huuuuge and perfect looking lego building, wow I thought I was dreaming... Then I got out of my dark ages and started looking around on the web and discovered wonderful MOCs (like Jesse Jasper Jones' ones)

When FB came out I was disapointed when I saw the pictures, even more with GE and also with PS and TH, :thumbdown: because they were not matching my expectations... as with CC and GG I had NO expectations... But when I got the sets at home I was just amazed, with every single one of them... :blush::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The reason for the excitement with 10182 Cafe Corner is that it is the first of it's kind and something we never officially saw from them, so naturally the excitement is going to be high. This and 10190 Market Street are what got me back into LEGO, I just couldn't believe those were real. Then 10185 Green Grocer came along and blew me out of the water.

Now though, between the 8 officials we now have, plus the 100's of fantastic MOCs, that excitement of something new has gone. Look at how many people were hoping and praying for a cinema like Sonics? I still get excited by every time I see the next Modular, and I'm sure I'll continue to be.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of this new modular, but I'll just have to get used to not following what I believed was "normal" for the modular line. Thank you GRogall, for providing us with pictures, which, from what I believe must've taken a huge amount of effort. Sorry for causing all the hate. I'm brand new here, and probably should've kept to myself, which I will do from now on. I can't wait to see this model with the other modular on my shelf :)

You didn't cause any hate. It's just an opinion, just like everyone else. Nothing wrong with not liking it, there's clearly many who are in the same boat. It's always good to voice your opinions, that's the point to forums like these. Discuss LEGO and what you like or don't like about it.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Looking at it again, there's another thing that I dislike about this model (besides from the mismatched case and terrible car) is that the vertical "palace" sign is an art-deco feature. It would look just as good without it in my opinion, and leave that kind of feature open for later use. That kind of vertical sign is not on Grauman's Chinese Theatre as it isn't part of the style.

That said, I otherwise like the model and I'm pleased to see them going in an unexpected direction.

I never judge official Lego sets by what fans have made, only by sets that have been previously made by Lego. I think it's a bit unfair, otherwise. Lego sets are always going to have features that fans tend to avoid, and I think it works somehow - it creates a particular aesthetic. Like, Lego sets have a combination of features that are nice on their own, down seem like they should work together and yet somehow do. I think that's one way of putting it? Whereas fans tend to deliberately co-ordinate features that they know will work together, creating buildings that look more consistent and yet somehow have less soul.

Okay, that's enough deconstruction for one day. I feel like I'm in university again, trying to find words to explain something I don't quite know what I mean.

I like the Palace Cinema just like the other modular buildings. I think that it fits perfectly between the other modular buildings. The only thing I don't like is the car, but then again, I didn't like the firetruck from the Firebrigade, but I do now, now I own it. The same thing might happen with this car, although It seems unlikely. The thing is that TLG can not use a MOC as official set, because some of us have seen it before and would be disappointed. Moreover, TLG makes sets which are more solid than most of the MOC's we make. The reason for chosing an other building does certainly not depend on appearance of a set.

Coming back to the sticker issue, I think that this building has stickers. Stickers can be applied on walls and on doors and this supports the thought behind the Creator line. But discussing this is useless anyways, because we will find out soon, I hope.