Exactly. A better description would be "California Faux Chinese". Pretty much all of the Modulars have a very distinct feel of where they come from style wise. Grand Emporium kind of leaves one thinking of London, Fire Brigade has a "Rust Belt" America feel to it, Pet Shop has a very Continental Europe look. Cafe Corner has kind of an Amsterdam feel to it. Green Grocer has kind of a French styling. Town Hall is probably the most generic, but more resembles an Eastern US/Canada style. And this one just screams Los Angeles.

I always thought both Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade had a New York City look to them. GE always kinda reminded me of Macys department store and I believe someone had posted a picture of a real NYC fire house that looked a lot like FB.

And as for that baseplate comment from eiker86, how would they stop using baseplates? They're basically a necessity for a town layout. I just wish they would sell more individual baseplates in various sizes and colors. I'm running low on baseplates for my layout and I would rather buy them from PAB than Bricklink.

I'm very excited for this set, do we have any idea when the release date could be? I would like this for my birthday in March. If not, I'll have to get the Horizon Express. Not that I'm complaining haha.

This is wonderful news! I'm curious about the actual size of the building and its price.

I'm very excited for this set, do we have any idea when the release date could be? I would like this for my birthday in March. If not, I'll have to get the Horizon Express. Not that I'm complaining haha.

Yes, it'd also be great to know its release date! I hope someone will find it out soon and share that precious piece of information with the rest of the crowd here on this forum!

Looks like a nice addition to the other modular buildings, in my opinion, unless the size is completely different compared to the already existing modulars.

Wow! It definately blew my mind! It exceed my expectation. I thought it would be little simplier than this but I love it!. I really love the color, roof details, sign but I am very looking forward to see more pictures of both exterior and interior. I have to agree with some of you guys about limo part. I think they could do better than this. I really hope next modular buiding will be spanish meditterran style so it would work better with Palace Cinema because I am not sure how it will look with other modular buildings.

I'm glad their are finally images of this. The funny thing is the day I come back, this is frontpage. :laugh:

I guess that is a sign I will be buying two of them. I love it though. :wub:

The car or limousine I could do with out. Those wheels. :sick:

Edited by The Blue Brick

WOW! I wasn't expecting it to look like that at all! I LOVE it! I would be surprised why they didn't make 3 normal modulars then a corner, but then I remembered that Market Street, although proportionate, was an under-developed Factory Set. New Corner, here we come!

Overall, I'm VERY pleased with this!

Some curiosities, though:

- I don't see a ticket booth outside. Could it be inside?

- The minifigures appear to be: A chauffer, a movie star (inside car), a photographer, a doorman (awaiting car), another doorman (at door)?, and a fellow movie-go-er (awaiting car). Which am I wrong on?

- The doors appear to be slightly open, revealing what appears to be a clear globe (head part), with a green peice. What could this be? Part of the consession stand?

- How do you think the interior fits a theater? With the 2nd story having windows, it seems unlikely all of the 2nd floor would be consumed with the theater (what theater has windows?).

Lastly, although no mention's been made of the release date in this thread, I'd add that we saw leaks of the Town Hall almost one year ago to-date. I'd estimate the Palace Theater will release in March.

Wow! :oh3: I love it. The mix of lowercase and capitals is a bit odd, bit the sign looks great. That roof will be a pain to build. Couple things. I don't think thats actually a limo, it's not very long and I've never seen a convertible limo(could be out there). Second, as was mentioned numerous times, but some can't seem to grasp, it is NOT something you'll find IN China. It's a Hollywood landmark reproduction, and I think it looks fantastic in that regard.

Wow! :oh3: I love it. The mix of lowercase and capitals is a bit odd, bit the sign looks great. That roof will be a pain to build. Couple things. I don't think thats actually a limo, it's not very long and I've never seen a convertible limo(could be out there). Second, as was mentioned numerous times, but some can't seem to grasp, it is NOT something you'll find IN China. It's a Hollywood landmark reproduction, and I think it looks fantastic in that regard.

Here is the most famous one!

5ycadcs_hero.jpg

I'm loving the design of this building! Looks like it'll fit in well next to my "Mr. Wong's Curio Shop"... Might inspire some updates to my design as well.

I'm liking what I see all around... both from a design perspective and a parts perspective. Decent collection of Reddish Brown windows, Dark Red tiles on the center roof, and plenty of Pearl Gold.

The rounded roof portions look to be made of 1 by 14 plate, 1x1 round plate (not tiles, I can see the studs on zooming in), and 1x1 round brick. Studs face downward at about a 45 degree angle.

The large lower-case "a"s in PaLaCE are an interesting design choice... but it looks like that was a limitation of a studs-up, 1-stud thick letter build.

The car may have been an afterthought. I do kinda like the design of it though. It'll probably look better in the HR pics. Reminds me a little of the car that JFK was shot in.

Hmm, bit disappointed with this one, if I'm honest. I don't think the style will work that well with the rest of the modulars—the others, while different enough to be unique, still blend in together nicely—this one sticks out like a sore thumb. A 1920's style cinema would have suited it better. In any case, I'll be interested to see the official photos and the interior.

If the parts selectioin on this is good enough, it will likely join my grand emporium and become my second modular.

Can anyone name an existing set that has a lot of dark tan so I can get a feel for exactly which color this is?

10216 WVB has a lot of this color!

edit*

sorry wrong this set should show the color at best

warning +7000 pixel!

Edited by GRogall

A 1920's style cinema would have suited it better.

Technically, this is a 1920's style cinema. Grauman's was completed in 1927, which is about the same time as a lot of the iconic Deco theaters, including LA's famous Fox Village Theater from 1931.

I still think the Town Hall is the odd one out stylistically. Too thin and too tall to look realistic. This is my favorite one since the Grand Emporium.

Can anyone name an existing set that has a lot of dark tan so I can get a feel for exactly which color this is?

The dark stripes on the Grand Emporium's top two floors is dark tan. The Fire Brigade also uses a lot on the ground floor street facade.

Edited by sonicstarlight

I liked the limo when I first saw it, but looking at it more closely, I'm growing off it. Something about the tiny windshield on the enormous bonnet, going down to the very low side, looks weird. Unless someone can find a car that is actually designed like this? I will keep it though, because I like my Modulars to be the way Lego intended.

Also, the minifig in red is almost identical to one from the Pet Shop. :sceptic:

Hopefully we'll see inside soon! Although considering the time period of the building, maybe the projector won't be inside it's own booth? That would make sense, given the limited space available.

Maybe there will be a piano for the music, if this is a silent film...

Edited by David Thomsen

I have to admit that I expected something very different from what I see on the picture. The car is my least favourite, as I prefer the detailed buildings in the series. The colour scheme is nice though with tan and dark tan in combination with brown windows. Roof looks amazing, only the 'tower' is sticking out a bit - it looks too tall and sort of empty/without decorations as in CC or TH. As for other details that cannot be seen here or are too small, I'll wait for better pictures to comment. However, in general, I am liking it. :sweet:

The rounded roof portions look to be made of 1 by 14 plate, 1x1 round plate (not tiles, I can see the studs on zooming in), and 1x1 round brick. Studs face downward at about a 45 degree angle.

Yes, this is my impression as well.

Thanks a lot GRogall! :thumbup: I really like it, I must say. Colour scheme is great, and that sign - fantastic. Put a flat roof on top instead of that pseudo-Chinese thing and you have a nice art-deco cinema.

Concerning the car: It should be modded, but it can easily be modded. The frontend works for me, it may serve as a guiding principle for the whole thing. I am looking forward to this set!

Wow! I did not see this coming. I expected an Art Deco or Town Plan-ish cinema. I really like this one though and I will be getting one or two.

Thanks for the photo.

Where on the LEGO site did this show up?

Now just waiting for the release video...LEGO - Hurry, hurry!

Thanks,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Looks awesome. I'll be adding this to the 3 modular buildings I already own.

Will be really interested to see the interior and close up shots of those movie posters. Also wondering if the movie names above the doors will be editable. Hoping it's not all nasty stickers.