ShaydDeGrai

Winter Village: Winterville Station

Winterville Station

1356541847m_DISPLAY.jpg

For years, Lego trains have circled the base of my Christmas Tree. More recently, official Winter Village sets have sprung up to join them, but the train never had anywhere to stop. So, this year, the mini-folk of Winterville finally have a train station to call their own.

The station is a little bigger than the existing kits in the line, but then it's a train station, I'd expect it to be a little bigger than a toy store or a bakery. It looks pretty good next to the official kits and has the same sort of "feel," that's really what I was after.

13565418581_DISPLAY.jpg

I don't usually do much at Mini-figure scale and Christmas Kitsch is definitely outside my normal comfort zone, but hey, it's the holidays, why not mix things up a bit.

Here we have all hands on deck, clearing the recent snow from the platform to make way for the presents waiting to be loaded into the mail car.

13565418752_DISPLAY.jpg

The far end of the platform features more lights, seating areas and a station clock.

13565418973_DISPLAY.jpg

In keeping with the Winter Village style, we have a separate little mini-build to pad out the area. I figured all that snow they cleared from the platform had to go somewhere, why not build a snowman?

13565419356_DISPLAY.jpg

In keeping with the Winter Village HGD (Hospital Gown Design - i.e. open in back) style, it's interior is readily accessible. I was shooting for something spacious without being boring, functional yet homey. The inside features a ticketing desk an open waiting area with clock and fireplace. And yes, Computer Geek Guy has just finished reading a copy of the Daily Prophet.

Of course, what would a Winter Village set be without a light brick? In this build, I decided to hide the brick in the hearth to light the fiery bits in the fireplace from below. I'm not a great photographer, but trust me, it looks neat in person.

The dark gray plate visible in the base of the open sidewall is the switch for the light. It sits flush when the fireplace is on and protrudes half a stud or so when it's off.

I hope you've enjoyed your tour of the the new Winterville Station.

Happy Holidays.

EDIT: In re-reading the contest thread, I realized I'd posted too many photos. This has now been corrected. For the curious, the additional shots can be found here.

EDIT: Or here (when MOCPages is acting up)

Edited by ShaydDeGrai

Very nice! Really looks like it fits right in with the official set's style. I like the overhang on the platform design.

Delightful train station will that Christmas feeling, excellent counter and wonderful brick exterior.....it has that late 19th century feel to it as well.

Good luck and Brick On 'ShaydDeGrai'.

Nice work. I've been considering building a small train station for a while, but it's still too big of a challenge. I like the outside detailing on the platform. The inside is a bit too spacious, and the heat from the fireplace is easily 'lost' high under the roof.

It's a great looking modest-sized station with some effective detail work. Do you have any images of a 'rest of year' version without the snow and decorations?

Thank you for sharing it with us!

It's a great looking modest-sized station with some effective detail work. Do you have any images of a 'rest of year' version without the snow and decorations?

Thank you for sharing it with us!

Thanks. As you correctly guessed, the station does have an alternate "after the spring thaw" persona. Although I haven't taken any non-snow photos yet, the snow plates on the main structure are sitting atop a (mostly) black 45 slope roof, except over the eyebrow window where lower slopes are in play. The front awing on main building clips off and can be replaced by a black tiled plate. The hip roof over the platform is a little trickier. There wasn't enough clearance to put the "snow" on over the dark bley roof I prototyped, so, like the front awing, I had to pop-off the non-snow roof to make room for the winter version.

Perhaps when I dismantle this year's winter village, I'll remember to take some photos of the summer variation (I'll have to pick up some translucent blue tiles to add a puddle where the snowman currently stands...)

Nice! The covered waiting area on the left hand side looks great and I love how you have done the ticketing counter. Good luck in the contest.

Where are the pictures?

It was probably just MOCPages down for maintenance (again :angry: ), everything loaded fine for me just now. As a back-up, in addition to the MOCPages link found in the initial post there are also shots on Flickr